• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilay05

Reaction score
Is anyone here fluent in Spanish? I need the following translated...

Hola,

The cleat on the toe was broken off during shipping. It can be replaced, but the shoes are completely usable even without that cleat.

Cheers,

GF is Mexican...hope this helps.

Hola,

En los zapatos, unos de los "tacos" tapones se rompio durante el envio de correo. El "taco" se pude reponer, pero los zapatos estan completamente usables sin el "taco."

Gracias!

Musicled

Reaction score

GF is Mexican...hope this helps. 

Hola,

En los zapatos, unos de los "tacos" tapones se rompio durante el envio de correo. El "taco" se pude reponer, pero los zapatos estan completamente usables sin el "taco." 

Gracias!

I concur. However, is the speaker Mexican or from some other central/south American country? There are differences within the diff Spanish variations.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I concur. However, is the speaker Mexican or from some other central/south American country? There are differences within the diff Spanish variations.

I assume Mexican, as Ebay says the buyer is in Mexico. I feel like something gets lost in the translation. There are pictures in the listing, so hopefully he can figure it out!

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, wasn't going to bash in public, but this tea bagger earned this one. Finally had a person ask for free shipping AFTER auction end, when I said no (sorry not going to encourage this behavior, he'll buy from YOU next) he said that he saw some flaw in the pictures (NO) and now wants to cancel the transaction. So, I already blocked the ahole, I recommend you do the same.

neo.pirate

Here's where you go, EVERYONE who sells on eBay should block this person, take a second, enter the name above in the box.

ADD TO BLOCK LIST

For the full list of people who have earned the highest distinction of being put on this list, you can go here:

OFFICIAL SF EBAY BLOCK LIST

carry on.

Musicled

Reaction score

I assume Mexican, as Ebay says the buyer is in Mexico. I feel like something gets lost in the translation. There are pictures in the listing, so hopefully he can figure it out!

You should be fine. It's a good translation. Never having been in this situation before on that site, if I were you, I'd write both just to be cautious. ie, "my friend translated this to Spanish"

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi. Buyer in Japan bought a pair of JM Weston shoes and requested that we under-declare the amount of the value of the item for customs. I politely refused to do so, and regardless the item had shipped prior to the request. He left negative feedback saying that "international buyers beware, seller will rip you off on shipping". I have a record of email correspondence and I reported him immediately when I saw the feedback. I presume I am in the right here, but would love to hear other opinions.

DjangoV

Reaction score

Hi.  Buyer in Japan bought a pair of JM Weston shoes and requested that we under-declare the amount of the value of the item for customs.  I politely refused to do so, and regardless the item had shipped prior to the request.  He left negative feedback saying that "international buyers beware, seller will rip you off on shipping".  I have a record of email correspondence and I reported him immediately when I saw the feedback.  I presume I am in the right here, but would love to hear other opinions.

Seems a clear win to me.

I am quite allergic to these kind of actions (asking to break rules, in this case eBay policy and Japanese customs, then getting bigmouthed for not following through) which always makes me want to escalate this stuff (sending the correspondence incl. name, adress etc. to Japanese authorities). Even though no actions will probably be taken, it's a good scare for them (and laugh for you) when you carbon-copy the particular person in the message.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hate it. Such a hassle and irritation for a part time business. I gave a big break on the shoes too.

Seems a clear win to me.

I am quite allergic to these kind of actions (asking to break rules, in this case eBay policy and Japanese customs, then getting bigmouthed for not following through) which always makes me want to escalate this stuff (sending the correspondence incl. name, adress etc. to Japanese authorities). Even though no actions will probably be taken, it's a good scare for them (and laugh for you) when you carbon-copy the particular person in the message.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a number of these poly bags for inside priority mail boxes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EM5PZH2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Are there any clothing items that you just toss into a poly bag and ship?
I'm a belt and suspenders guy. I bag everything before putting it in its shipping container, even if it is a bag inside another bag.

Ultimately, my goal is to eliminate as many variables as possible. If my package is left out in the rain, hopefully, my packaging protects it. If the outer bag is punctured, maybe the inner bag isn't.

For the $.06 the bag cost, its a cheap layer of extra protection.

I also tape both ends of a box, even when it is self-adhesive. On international I tape all seams of the box. Not because I think it will open, but because it goes from 2 days to 2 weeks in the box, in who knows what kind of an environment.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I use just the mailers for standard shipping for cheap-ish shirts, except I double bag them. I use the legal flat rate priority envelope for pants, and most pants fit inside it. Except I have a pair of heavy size 40 Orvis corduroy pants that will absolutely not fit. Thinking of using just the mailers and no box with that weight. I don't think I can ship them priority for less than $5.95 (which I charge for pants) unless the buyer's close by and I can just use the RRA box. Hope I get lucky there.

Is there a better/cheaper way to ship heavy pants via priority? I don't want to charge them $10 for pants - it seems too much.
I use the padded flat rate for pants (if RRA is too much). I've done up to size 38 jeans and they go in much nicer than LFRE.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt its legit
@ concealed....how did you get to be so expert on authentic items. I mean, you're a fairly young guy but you have all this great knowledge about labels.

I don't even buy some stuff to sell anymore (Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Gucci) because there are so many fakes. (take that back, I do buy Burberry shirts and suits, but not purses or other bags)

Ive been sitting on a small burberry handbag my daughter picked up since last October. I had 2 coach totes that I told her to take even though I was sure they were real.

I just don't know enough, even after reading all the "how-to's" to tell the difference. Spoo had to save me from buying a fake Chanel handbag which was one of the most detailed fakes I had seen.

Last week I passed on a Tori Burch purse and a pair of knee high ladies boots that looked real to me, but didn't know what to look for.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ concealed....how did you get to be so expert on authentic items. I mean, you're a fairly young guy but you have all this great knowledge about labels.

I don't even buy some stuff to sell anymore (Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Gucci) because there are so many fakes. (take that back, I do buy Burberry shirts and suits, but not purses or other bags)

Ive been sitting on a small burberry handbag my daughter picked up since last October. I had 2 coach totes that I told her to take even though I was sure they were real.

I just don't know enough, even after reading all the "how-to's" to tell the difference. Spoo had to save me from buying a fake Chanel handbag which was one of the most detailed fakes I had seen.

Last week I passed on a Tori Burch purse and a pair of knee high ladies boots that looked real to me, but didn't know what to look for.

I have been to China a few times and frequented some of the more "hardcore" counterfeit markets. I shop at Neiman Marcus/Barneys/Nordstrom/Boutiques pretty regularly for my wife and myself, so I am familiar with the products that I am commenting on. Obviously speaking in general terms here, but most fakes are hilariously bad (see some of the Hermes fakes posted in the thrift thread) and the labels that they fake are the more pedestrian stuff: Polo, Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger. As any sopohmore+ members of the thrifting community know, you are often looking for quality construction and details, if these are present, its probably not a fake. The counterfeiters also generally do not copy the manufacturer tags as diligently, so having a decent encycolpedia of these can be helpful. The one thing I am far from an expert on is the leather goods such as those from Burberry/Chanel/Coach/Gucci/LV and as a rule I presume they are fake. I am sure I have passed on legitimate pieces before, but I don't think its hurting my return on time invested in thrifting too badly at this point to change course.

Mifune

Reaction score
Had a potential eBay buyer ask me to take him off my "blocked" list because he wanted to buy something I had for sale. I didn't have him blocked by user name - it was likely because of non-payment strikes.

The guy has 100% feedback. Yet on closer inspection of his feedback, there was at least 5 seller comments about non-payment in the past 6 months - these were left in positive feedback as there is now no other way to warn other sellers about such idiots.

Needless to say, I didn't even bother responding to this twit.

The feedback percentage for purchasers is useless nowadays. What a shambles eBay is becoming. Surely another savvy auction site can come around and provide some decent competition.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads