• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marc roberto

Reaction score
I have been selling nationally for a while and I'm considering selling out of the country, maybe even worldwide to take advantage of the larger customer base. Can anyone please summarize for me what are the added difficulties, the pros and the cons? Thanks in advance!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been selling nationally for a while and I'm considering selling out of the country, maybe even worldwide to take advantage of the larger customer base. Can anyone please summarize for me what are the added difficulties, the pros and the cons? Thanks in advance!

Would you consider shipping through the ebay service or handle customs etc yourself?

borbor

Reaction score
as long as you fill the declaration form properly (ie the goods you're selling and the country of manufacture); you souldn't run into issues.

i've never understood the reluctance to shipping outside CONUS from you guys down south. I guess with such a huge population base for 2nd hand goods, it's no skin off your back, but for us canucks trying to get stuff from some ppl south of the border it's like pulling teeth
smile.gif

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote:
I didn't hear such good things about the e-bay service, but my plan would be to have free shipping in the USA and that e-bay should give a calculated amount to the buyer depending on the country he wants it shipped to. I'm pretty much in the dark on e-bays worldwide shipping system. Also the buyer will be responsible for any customs.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
15% of my total transactions are international sales, primarily to Canada, UK and Japan
18% of my total $$ sales is due to international transactions. (For me that is about $21,500 over the last year)

I do not use the Global shipping program, I ship directly to the buyer. This saves them money and most buyers prefer it.
I have had very few problems with international shipments.
I have never had a lost international package. Knock in wood
I have far fewer returns from international buyers, they typically are more careful about what they are purchasing.
Shipping is easy, print the customs forms right from home, using the clear customs envelopes available for free online.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with international buyers so far. I use ebay calculated shipping, based on weight.

I have a fear of someone wanting to return something claiming NAD and having to eat really big shipping charges. I've done various things to Australia, shoes to Japan, Shoes, sports coats, shirts and more to the UK. Shoes and pants to Scandanavia. Ties to Austria.

knock wood, so far, no one has wanted a return. Last week, I had a guy from AUS do a BIN on a pair of shoes. They are a crazy size (AE 11.5AAA). After thanking him for buying from my store, I ask if he had ever used the AE online size estimator and recommended he do so. He came back a couple hours later and said that he needed a D width in AE. So I canceled the transaction. He thanked me for keeping him from making an expensive mistake.

While I didn't want him to buy the wrong thing, my motivation was not having to eat returned shipping.

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote:
I've had good luck with international buyers so far. I use ebay calculated shipping, based on weight.

I have a fear of someone wanting to return something claiming NAD and having to eat really big shipping charges. I've done various things to Australia, shoes to Japan, Shoes, sports coats, shirts and more to the UK. Shoes and pants to Scandanavia. Ties to Austria.

knock wood, so far, no one has wanted a return. Last week, I had a guy from AUS do a BIN on a pair of shoes. They are a crazy size (AE 11.5AAA). After thanking him for buying from my store, I ask if he had ever used the AE online size estimator and recommended he do so. He came back a couple hours later and said that he needed a D width in AE. So I canceled the transaction. He thanked me for keeping him from making an expensive mistake.

While I didn't want him to buy the wrong thing, my motivation was not having to eat returned shipping.
Thanks guys! Yeah, I was always afraid of this too, but I guess its still worth the extra customer base. Will e-bay automatically calculate the international buyers shipping cost and can I print the customs form directly from e-bay just like in the US? Also, aren't there countries that e-bay doesn't sell the shipping for? Does that mean buying in the post office?

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah, I was always afraid of this too, but I guess its still worth the extra customer base. Will e-bay automatically calculate the international buyers shipping cost and can I print the customs form directly from e-bay just like in the US? Also, aren't there countries that e-bay doesn't sell the shipping for? Does that mean buying in the post office?
Yes. You have to add the weight, package size/type, and service. For example, if you put in a shirt at 1 pound, in a small package, it quotes a package, not a flat rate padded envelope. If you tell it to quote FRPE, it does. Same with SFRB.

I've been happy with that. Last one I did, the shipping was $50 ish, but it discounted out to about $37. I thought about banking it, but I could ship express for the extra.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not use the Global shipping program, I ship directly to the buyer. This saves them money and most buyers prefer it.
I have far fewer returns from international buyers, they typically are more careful about what they are purchasing.
Shipping is easy, print the customs forms right from home, using the clear customs envelopes available for free online.
+1 to everything. Wes has helped me when getting started in the international scene, but everything he has said above is accurate with my own experiences as well.
Cannot emphasize enough how easy printing these labels are at home, takes maybe an extra 30 seconds. I just load in regular printing paper for the 4 forms and off we go like normal.

You will run into a few countries where certain shipping options may not be available online, or printing not available online. These are a rare exception these days, and if that happens, I will pre fill out hand written customs forms, with everything ready to go before I get to the window. I've had to do this once in the last 6 months, and I already forgot which country it was for.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incorrect

Herrera is the Kiton's of womenswear. You bought a mens shirt....no man buys CH stuff. Sorry

I pass on her stuff all of the time just like I do for DVH's shoes and non-clothing items

KEEP in mind that designers don't reach ALL demographics / target markets.
Huh, thanks for the heads up. I did sort of realize that. Not that I will see many more of these around, but I will pick up if I do, even mens. Put on BIN and wait it out.

Quote: How many cubits is that?

Would you consider shipping through the ebay service or handle customs etc yourself?
If you want to ship internationally, without ANY hassle, do the ebay managed international thing. If you're NOT shipping internationally now, you won't lose any sales, it'll be nothing but win, and a couple messages complaining how expensive it is to ship to XX country. Once you get more comfortable with it, do international shipping yourself (it really is not hard at all, assuming you're doing all your postage online now). Then after a couple pairs of jeans slip into that black hole known as Malaysia, you will refine what countries you ship to. For most everyone here it's Russia, I ship way too many Hugo Boss items to people whose names end with v to cut off Russia + zero problems for me there so far.

Last edited:

namdaemun

Reaction score
I'm sure I know what your answer will be but here is my issue...

Sold a pair of boots, buyer receives them, few days later (today) he opens a case against me saying "item not described" aka the shoes are too big.

I showed photos of the sizing on the shoe, I listed the tagged size, I listed the measurements of the outer sole and outer width (not inside), and I also suggested the sizing is larger than the tagged size by .5. The shoes are prada boots.

So, I do want to make him happy but not for buyer's remorse. It's his responsibility to review and know the brand. Also, I DO NOT want negative feedback.
I'm currently on the phone with eBay asking them what to do so my question is, what do you recommend?

thanks

gerbilunit

Reaction score

Sold a pair of boots, buyer receives them, few days later (today) he opens a case against me saying "item not described" aka the shoes are too big.

I showed photos of the sizing on the shoe, I listed the tagged size, I listed the measurements of the outer sole and outer width (not inside), and I also suggested the sizing is larger than the tagged size by .5. The shoes are prada boots.

So, I do want to make him happy but not for buyer's remorse. It's his responsibility to review and know the brand. Also, I DO NOT want negative feedback.
I'm currently on the phone with eBay asking them what to do so my question is, what do you recommend?

thanks
yeah... be weary. i had the exact same issue. ebay refunded the seller but they STILL left negative feedback for me -_-

joshmick

Reaction score
15% of my total transactions are international sales, primarily to Canada, UK and Japan
18% of my total $$ sales is due to international transactions. (For me that is about $21,500 over the last year)

Any chance you could link me to those clear customs envelopes?

namdaemun

Reaction score

thanks

yeah... be weary. i had the exact same issue. ebay refunded the seller but they STILL left negative feedback for me -_-

Update:

I went ahead and called ebay. I told them my issue and how the buyer says the shoes don't fit aka buyers remorse. He agreed and supposedly wrote that in the notes.
Look, I feel bad that the person will have an item that most likely wont fit.I really do. But I provided all info so ... what else am I supposed to do other than drive to him and have him try it on, right?

Marvin aka the ebay rep said to wait for the seller to respond to my email of which I stated I don't accept returns and etc for sizing issues and to go from there.

Hope this works out....

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks
shoes are "too big" is too vague. "I wear a size 9 and these are 13s" is valid in my mind. Obviously there is a fit issue. if they don't fit and are exactly has you documented, then the buyer didn't check the measurements and ordered the wrong thing. Not really your problem. If he ordered a 9 and you sent a 13, ok, he's got a valid beef. I would go ahead and submit all your size info and call customer service. Is it your fault the person ordered the wrong size? I would take the return, but not pay the shipping.

There are too many ways to misconstrue the "too big"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics