• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I use. I have three long white melamine insert shelves left over from a kitchen reno. I set them up in front of my front window as shown in the picture. It's my own DIY light box, on a tiny scale.

file-185.jpg

file-184.jpg

Here's a photo I took this morning for a listing that's going up soon. The only thing I've done is crop it.
file-183.jpg

For other things like shirts, I have a 2'x3' white poster board I put them on. Still along way from what our experts here use but a step up from just laying them down on the floor or where ever.

Mox C

Reaction score
Yeah, just putting shoes on a big white board in front a window takes you 95% of the way there. You don't really need anything past that. As long as its not right in the direct sun, you get nice diffuse light and a plain, uncluttered background. Having equipment is more about control and consistency than quality for what we are doing.

Mox C

Reaction score
Nice! I figured it would be popular.

I believe it's been covered pretty well, but to sum up...

That's one I might use Registered Mail for, as long as everything is under 4lbs. It's so secure that you can mail gov docs up to and including the level "Secret". It doesn't stop the buyer from being a prick, but it's the safest as far as shipping goes. It's more of a hassle though, as you need to use the brown paper tape to seal the package. I believe you can use brown paper to wrap the package in order to save on tape, but make sure the address is written on the box and on the paper. You still need the brown tape to cover all open edges of the wrapping.

Registered Mail comes with up to $25K of insurance and mailing certification. You don't need a delivery receipt mailed to you, as I believe you can get a post hoc one if the buyer claims to not have received it. It's a slow delivery though.

http://www.jewelry-appraisal.com/how_to_package.htm

If you use Priority Mail (for the USA), make sure to get signature confirmation.

If you are shipping to outside the USA, use Registered or Express only.

The more experienced guys might have advice for dealing with the seller, but I believe that's basic stuff, like only shipping to eBay confirmed addresses, etc.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

If you use Priority Mail (for the USA), make sure to get signature confirmation.

And insurance. Not sure how much it costs, but I would hate to turn an $1100 jacket into a $100 payment and hours of hassle with the USPS.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A guy just requested to pay with usps money order. This sounds great since it cuts out Paypal, but anything I need to worry about with eBay?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got offered to join eBay's Global Shipping Program. eBay will handle international shipments. The seller ensures that the item makes it to eBay's US shipping center. After that, the seller is in the clear. eBay eats the loss of any damage after it clears the US shipping center.

This solves the International signature issue. Also, the eBay fees are calculated on the domestic shipping price, so that should reduce some final value totals by $25, or more. The downfall is that the buyer's shipping price considers import duties in the purchaser's shipping price. I'm sure all import duties will be assessed more accurately.

The trial period only works for the following countries:

Australia
Bulgaria
Canada
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
Greece
Hungary
Latvia
Lithuania
Malta
Portugal
Romania
Slovakia
Slovenia
United Kingdom

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Usps money order you cash at the post office.I would obviously cash it before shipping.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Usps money order you cash at the post office.I would obviously cash it before shipping.
Yeah it's fine to accept them. You can accept any type of payment you like, but ebay just makes it difficult to announce that in your listings. The last time I tried to mention I accepted M.O.s in my description, it got kicked back for it (that was probably 2 years ago). They like to get their paypal fees I guess. It may be different now.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RLPL sunglasses I put up just sold at the full BIN price ($125; earlier auctions had been ending between $75 and $100) to a user with 0 feedback who just signed up today, who lives in Australia. Tips on not getting ripped off here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads