1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I tried free shipping and got maybe a little more traffic, but returns are a much bigger hassle. I noticed Spoo doesn't do free shipping, so I decided not to do it anymore.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

problem solved

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

. . . .

4. Towers

Towers Senior member

I think faceofboh has it right. US Sellers have it easy due to the size of your domestic market, you can afford to say $35 to Canada (spoo's shipping charge for shirts) take it or leave it, writing off those buyers or making sure they're very motivated. But if I list an item as $35 shipped to the US I can kiss any traffic goodbye unless its REALLY nice.

5. suited

suited Senior member

Yeah, in hindsight this would have been better.

Free shirt (you pay shipping) to the first person to list a tie with this format:

*WHOOP WHOOP* Pull Over Dat *Brioni Silk Navy Blue Tie* Too Fat!

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

PM Sent

Side note... you're listing is really hard to read....just friendly advice.

You are bidding on a great coat. It may be pre-owned, but it still has lots of life in it. Please look closely at the description and pictures to determine if this is the right item for you. . . . . . . . BRAND: Mavest . . . . . . . COLOR/PATTERN: Brown tweed with herrinbone pattern . . . . . . . DETAILS/NOTES: Harris Tweed 100% wool fabric, single center vent, 3 roll 2 button closure . . . . . . . MEASUREMENTS: (made while the garment is laying flat) . . . . . . . (These measurements should only be used as a guideline. They are approximate (within +/- .5 in.). In order to ensure a proper fitting garment, please measure a similar garment that fits you well.) . . . . . . . Armpit to Armpit - 22 in. . . . . . . . Jacket Waist - 21.5 in. . . . . . . . Sleeves (shoulder seam to end of cuff) - 25.75 in. (0 in. to let out) . . . . . . . Shoulders (seam to seam across the back) - 18 in. . . . . . . . Length (from bottom of collar to bottom of coat) - 30.5 in.

VS

You are bidding on a great coat. It may be pre-owned, but it still has lots of life in it.

Please look closely at the description and pictures to determine if this is the right item for you.

BRAND: Mavest
    COLOR/PATTERN: Brown tweed with herrinbone pattern
    DETAILS/NOTES: Harris Tweed 100% wool fabric, single center vent, 3 roll 2 button closure
    APPROX MEASUREMENTS:
    These measurements should only be used as a guideline. They are approximate (within +/- .5 in.). In order to ensure a proper fitting garment, please measure a similar garment that fits you well.
    Armpit to Armpit - 22 in
    Jacket Waist - 21.5 in
    Sleeves (shoulder seam to end of cuff) - 25.75 in. (0 in. to let out)
    Shoulders (seam to seam across the back) - 18 in
    Length (from bottom of collar to bottom of coat) - 30.5 in.

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

1 person likes this.
  8. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Thanks - That's what I thought they were. Sitting with a very similar pair that I've been trying to get rid of for a few weeks as well. Might toss them up on a 10 day auction this week...

[​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130785549300

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Let me just say that I've rarely had a problem on eBay, either in buying or selling, but this one is starting to grate on me.

I bought an item for a very low price, knowing that he'd relisted the item many times, very slowly lowering the into price. I paid $.99 for the item. I think his main hangup is describing the item as having some "pit stains" and because he offered shipping at $16. I figure that he's trying to make money on shipping in order to recoup some investment costs.

I knew all of this going into the transaction and have suggested that he ship it via USPS priority in a flat rate envelope ($5.50/max) to which he's said that he doesn't have those envelopes (BS) or that he offered a flat rate and there's no other option.

As a consumer, and also as a seller, I figure that compromise is an inherent part of a transaction. How can I make this unscrupulous fuck ship the item according to a very reasonable and current rate, rather than let him make money on me? Basically, it's unreasonable to pay a seller an inflated shipping rate for something they know they aren't going to make a decent amount of money on.

Edit: This seller is in the US, so USPS domestic makes the most sense. He's been vague about what shipping rate he's gong to use as his standard.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What seems to be your issue? He has a listed shipping cost and you knew this before bidding, right?

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

You made a deal and now you want to renegotiate it. That is not compromise and that is not scrupulous behavior on your part.

12. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Hey fellas,

Auction is done and now prepping to ship! I was planning to ship priority mail with insurance & signature confirmation. If I add "signature confirmation", does that include tracking as well?

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Priority mail applies automatic tracking. But yes, at $320, Insurance and Signature Confirmation is a must!

Happy Cyber Monday Guys...Happy Selling!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  14. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

I very often have buyers ask me to ship via a different service to save money. Should I risk negative feedback just to remain rigid on my auction terms? What about buyers who are unwilling to pay shipping in return to me or pay my 10% restocking fee? I will surely get negative feedback if they don't like these terms they've agreed to as stated in my auction description.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

eBay will remove bad feedback and cases opened over not wanting to pay the restocking fee. If you bought the item with the $16 shipping I think you should pay it. If you wanted lower shipping the time to negotiate was before winning the auction.

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. Steve Smith

+2

18. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

+3

19. Steve Smith

Am I the only one getting a rash of echeck payments on auctions? One last week (which bounced and will be resubmitted) and two this week.

20. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

+4

I think everyone has said almost everything that can be said, but I want to add one more thing. When you leave feedback, there are four categories where you can give the seller "stars." One of those is "shipping and handling charges." I would suggest, if you know he can ship the item for less then rate him accordingly there. He certainly doesn't deserve negative feedback.

The bottom line is the price it sold was the minimum he was going to let it go for. If he listed "actual" shipping costs, his item would have just been listed higher than $.99 you won it for. He made a judgement call to gain more initial viewers, hoping that once they saw it, the shipping price wouldn't bug them.