• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

General question to everyone, but Spoo, noticed that in some of your listings, you dont have the size in the title? Do you feel it is not as important as other key words due to the fact most people use the ebay choices to narrow down the size vs. putting it in the search?

I 100% always put the size at the end of my listings, couldn't imagine not. Just wondering thoughts.

I dont - if I can fit it in, then yeah but if I have other important keywords then no I dont. The ebay tagging system populates the sizes for your anyway without you having to include them in a written title, so I dont feel the need to wast title space for them.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Anyone have tips/tricks for removing cuff creases? Bought a pair of flat front Zanella's to throw on ebay with a short inseam (I think they are 33x28).... how do tailor deal with this? I steamed and ironed them inside out already
crazy.gif

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why bother unhemming them? I think I would have just left that task to the buyer and his tailor. Otherwise, I don't know...you don't want to shine them, so pressing too much is out.

Last edited:

Brianpore

Reaction score
Why bother unhemming them? I think I would have just left that task to the buyer and his tailor. Otherwise, I don't know...you don't want to shine them, so pressing too much is out.
Yea hind-sites 20/20, 1st and last time I do it, just thought it would be better as it was really short, maybe 27".

Jpmorris

Reaction score
I just had a nonpaying buyer pay me after EXACTLY A MONTH had passed... WOW. I couldn't seem to sell the item again either, and this time it went for 20 over starting
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes...I sold a suit to a guy a week and a half ago. The description, item details and title all listed the suit size as 43R, and the buyer on more than one occasion mentioned he is a 44L. Today, he emailed me to ask for an address to return the suit, because it is too short. My return policy is set to "no returns", and this time I've made absolutely no error. Should I take it back? Also, this past week he happened to buy a used tie from me for $50; does this complicate things?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey dudes...I sold a suit to a guy a week and a half ago. The description, item details and title all listed the suit size as 43R, and the buyer on more than one occasion mentioned he is a 44L. Today, he emailed me to ask for an address to return the suit, because it is too short. My return policy is set to "no returns", and this time I've made absolutely no error. Should I take it back? Also, this past week he happened to buy a used tie from me for $50; does this complicate things?

I had a buyer message me after winning and paying for a sport coat. He said the sleeves were going to be too short (or too long, I can't remember). I politely told him that I had already paid for shipping and that all sales were final. Who pays for something and then goes back to review the measurements? He was certainly full of ****, and likely saw something else he wanted more. I added a comment at the top of my listings that says in big bold letters "please read measurements and terms before bidding."

I wouldn't take it back, but I'll let the more experienced sellers tell you what to do, but if you're even considering taking it back ask yourself how easily the item can be resold at the same or higher price.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ If he files a Paypal dispute then Paypal will do the refund for you, with your paypal funds of course.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You won't win if he files a case. Perhaps your initial reply should be very polite and something to the effect that you do not take returns and then just ask if he has further concerns, leaving the communication open. If he is insistent on making the return, you should just give in immediately. You won't win a case against him and you don't need any funny business with the tie transaction if he was pleased with that.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why doesn't eBay regulate this ****? If the customer sends a message (the content of which eBay can verify) saying the suit is too short, and you have posted correct measurements in the listing and your policy clearly says no returns, why would they side with the buyer? I'm assuming the goal is to keep buyers coming back to eBay at the expense of the seller, but I'd argue that discouraging sellers and or making it harder for them to conduct business is not beneficial.

Last edited:

Brianpore

Reaction score
Why doesn't eBay regulate this ****? If the customer sends a message (the content of which eBay can verify) saying the suit is too short, and you have posted correct measurements in the listing and your policy clearly says no returns, why would they side with the buyer? I'm assuming the goal is to keep buyers coming back to eBay at the expense of the seller, but I'd argue that discouraging sellers and or making it harder for them to conduct business is not beneficial.
Having dealt with this a few times and speaking with ebay customer service, who imo is actually pretty helpful when there are issues and your a top rated seller...

The issue comes down to you saying it is measured one way and the buyer saying it is measured another way. If the buyer claims that the shoulders for example are 1/4" larger then your measurement says, then that is not as described. The SAFEST (not the best, but safest) way to list clothing is it put a picture and the tagged size and leave it at that. Of course note any flaws. The issue for "not as described" for size comes into play when you start to deal with subjective measurements.

For example you listed the size as 44R (if there is a tag that says 44R on the jacket) and that was it, you would have a better chance to win a not as described case vs listing the standard chest/shoulder/arm/length measurements we are all use to. This is because 44R is the tagged size you describe it correctly and all other measurements despite any disclaimers can be refuted as not as described. That is not to say that if you list on the tag size the buyer can't say the color in the photo is not an accurate representation of the item, or that there is 1 of 100 other excuses for an item not as described for them to return it.

Long story short, you are forced to be nice and take returns either way. I think the majority of the sellers here know that 95% of the transactions go off without a problem and you just suck it up as part of doing business and take the 5% back to preserve your feedback. It sucks, but otherwise just don't sell (make money) on ebay.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having dealt with this a few times and speaking with ebay customer service, who imo is actually pretty helpful when there are issues and your a top rated seller...

The issue comes down to you saying it is measured one way and the buyer saying it is measured another way. If the buyer claims that the shoulders for example are 1/4" larger then your measurement says, then that is not as described. The SAFEST (not the best, but safest) way to list clothing is it put a picture and the tagged size and leave it at that. Of course note any flaws. The issue for "not as described" for size comes into play when you start to deal with subjective measurements.

For example you listed the size as 44R (if there is a tag that says 44R on the jacket) and that was it, you would have a better chance to win a not as described case vs listing the standard chest/shoulder/arm/length measurements we are all use to. This is because 44R is the tagged size you describe it correctly and all other measurements despite any disclaimers can be refuted as not as described. That is not to say that if you list on the tag size the buyer can't say the color in the photo is not an accurate representation of the item, or that there is 1 of 100 other excuses for an item not as described for them to return it.

Long story short, you are forced to be nice and take returns either way. I think the majority of the sellers here know that 95% of the transactions go off without a problem and you just suck it up as part of doing business and take the 5% back to preserve your feedback. It sucks, but otherwise just don't sell (make money) on ebay.

In other words, a no return policy is a basically bluff to ward off people seeking returns, but for those that still attempt to return the item, it's best to acquiesce?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

In other words, a no return policy is a basically bluff to ward off people seeking returns, but for those that still attempt to return the item, it's best to acquiesce?

Yup... there's no such thing as no returns on ebay.

I'm assuming the goal is to keep buyers coming back to eBay at the expense of the seller, but I'd argue that discouraging sellers and or making it harder for them to conduct business is not beneficial.

Also, this.

Last edited:

Brianpore

Reaction score
I'm assuming the goal is to keep buyers coming back to eBay at the expense of the seller, but I'd argue that discouraging sellers and or making it harder for them to conduct business is not beneficial.
Ebay has a monopoly on the Internet auction business. If someone came along and created competition this concept of not making it harder for sellers might work. Ebay has approx 95% market share of online auction last I read and 50% of the items sold are by power sellers, the other 50% is by everyone else. People complain about the high fees or the crappy rules, but sellers continue to use ebay because that's where the buyers are. Ebay knows if you keep the buyers happy (keep the buyers using ebay), the sellers cant leave because there is no place else to go right now with the same exposure for your items.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads