1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Spoo via Thrift Thread

2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Edit: Deferring to Spoo post. There is a little more to it, though.

Strictly speaking a tie is a Macclesfield when the silk was made in Macclesfield, England. "Foulard" originally referred to a certain lightness of silk. Neither is a question of weave.* In practice the terms seem to be used mostly interchangeably, with foulard maybe being more common, to refer to ties with small, repeating neat patterns—usually geometric or floral. "Ancient madder" is a printing technique and has nothing to do with pattern—you can have an ancient madder tie with a neat pattern identical to a Macclesfield or with a wild paisley pattern, for example. You can recognize an ancient madder tie by its slightly "chalky" texture.

*There is a thread where Manton suggests a Macclesfield uses a fine weave, but David Hober in that thread gives the definition I've used.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Thank you both, but its close ups of photo's with exemplars I'm going to need. Paisley was also a printing technique, originally done with carved blocks pressed on silk.

I get the printing vs pattern woven in, its the actual weaves I need.

Woven silk, but feels like wool:

[​IMG]

Woven, but fine and smooth:

[​IMG]

Silk Twill - (as an aside, does anyone know the regiment off the top of your head?):

[​IMG]

Heavy Thick weave (macclesfield?):

[​IMG]

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

So that first tie isn't considered a twill?

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I could use a picture guide as well, would be super helpful. It seems like ties can fall into a few categories depending on the weave, print, and material.

1 person likes this.
  6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Who is the user? randlarse? I had the same thing, almost exactly, this morning.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

$100 and under is USPS for free, at about $125 and up, I will do the Ship Sure. The wait time is longer before you can do a claim, but it was very easy and quick.

8. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

Right on!

I only choose insurance (Ship Sure) for items over $150. Thanks again!

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Pure thrift brag here... Yes, I'll take a 30x ROI!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I was thinking earlier while riding my bike about this whole upcoming change to the requirements for Top Rated Seller status.

I see a whole lot of increases in prices coming to Ebay. As people start losing their Top Rated Seller status, the sellers are either going to start leaving for greener pastures or raising their prices to compensate for not having seller/shipping discounts any more. I think that I will be able to maintain TRS status (as of right now at least), but if I don't, my prices will definitely go up.

Seriously, if Ebay wants more people using the service, they need to make it easier for sellers, not more difficult. They'll figure out eventually that without their sellers, their service is worthless.

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Problem is there's no real alternative right now. Etsy is only for vintage/crafts, and the eBay wannabes have 1/10th if not less of the customer base.

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

If things just got awful on eBay, I could see making a go of it on Grailed. If that didn't work out, i'd probably just consign.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

With the new defects taking place, is there any benefits to withdrawing from "hassle free returns" program? Still offer returns, but not through that system? I can't afford dings for NAD returns and NAD cases if it's the same damn transaction. I'm at 2.72% above average level. I won't get any discounts.

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I offer 14-day returns, but not thru the hassle-free program (I never joined). So a buyer has to message me and go from there, as far as I can tell - I've never had a case opened in order for someone to return something so I don't really know...but I know it's the same when I want to return something to someone who isn't in the hassle-free program - the only eBay option is "message the seller".

On a related note, I got this long cryptic message from eBay today, and I've read it twice but still can't make heads or tails of it...maybe I should read it when I'm not hungry with 2 beers in me on an empty stomach:

<<
    As we approach the August 20 evaluation date when the new seller performance standards take effect, we're writing to let you know about a special protection in place for sellers like you who are evaluated on your transactions over the past 12 months. The protection is designed to ensure your selling is not restricted due to defects acquired prior to March 11, 2014, before we first announced they would be counted.
    You'll be protected through the March 20, 2015 seller evaluation from selling limits or restrictions as a consequence of falling below eBay's minimum standards strictly because of one or more of the defects that were not previously counted in standards that you received prior to March 11, 2014: opened cases, detailed seller ratings of 3 for item description, returns because the item was not as described, negative or neutral feedback, or seller-cancelled transactions*.
    Note this special protection is designed to protect you from the consequences of falling below eBay's minimum standards. It does not apply to Top Rated Seller status and benefits or prevent your listings from being lowered in search. But it will give you extra time to continue selling and meet the new minimum standards.
    Once the new seller performance standards go into effect, we will send you a notification when this protection is applied to your account.
    In the meantime, be sure to become familiar with the new seller performance standards and get an up-to-date preview of your progress in your seller dashboard. From your dashboard you can also run a report, updated weekly, of all your transactions with defects to help you pinpoint where you need to focus. Just close the preview to find the link to the report on your regular dashboard.
    And we're here to help. You can contact us using this [priority link to eBay Customer Support] if you have questions.
    Sincerely,
    eBay Selling Team
    *Note this special 7-month protection won't apply if you would have fallen below standard anyway based on the defects currently counted in today's seller performance standards: detailed seller ratings of 1 and 2 for item description, ratings of 1 for ship time, going above the 0.3% maximum percentage of eBay Money Back Guarantee cases closed without seller resolution. Nor will it apply if you have 400 or more transactions over a 3-month period and are subsequently evaluated on a 3-month look-back period.

>>

15. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I don't sell too many higher quality belts, is there a name for this pattern?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tried googling mens belt patterns, didn't find anything too helpful. Thanks!

16. suited

suited Senior member

+1, and one might say the same thing about the economy as a whole.

17. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Right? Wtf dies this mean?

18. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

In the end, I am hoping that all this leads to eBay separating the wheat from the chaff, and quality sellers will remain on eBay whereas hit-and-run / crappy sellers will fall off the map. Shopping on eBay is such a minefield now that I'm surprised anyone does it any longer, or, more often than 2 or 3 times once they get burned. I've been disappointed more often than not with my eBay purchases, and I think part of this is to get sellers to step up or step aside, leaving the conscientious sellers to reap the rewards of less competition.

So, that is a good thing.

On the other hand, I agree with the hubcap salesman who laid out some pretty valid points re: you're gonna get returns due to schlubs who don't know how to size, wants to try stuff on, etc.

On the third hand, most folks don't buy on eBay looking to start trouble - they just want to get what they bought [see above - if you're a conscientious seller, then your buyers will be happy].

Re: the personal note to the buyer, this is what a buyer gets from me via eBay messaging:
    <<
    Hello,
    Thank you for your purchase and quick payment! Your package will go out on [specific day & date] via USPS Priority. The tracking # has already been added to the item listing, under "My eBay" then "Purchase history", and USPS will update it online once they have it in their system.
    Any issues, questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, and thank you again.
    [my name]
    [my Facebook link]
    [my gmail address]

>>
    ...I have a Google Voice # which I am thinking of including, if I can figure out how to display that someone is calling via Google Voice or not. [twisted side-note: my Google Voice # is the same phone # as the Spahn Ranch at the time of the Manson murders...but different area code. I was feelin' stabby that day.]

19. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Yeah, that's him. He realized the mistake messaged me with the item number of your tie to show how similar it was. I loled because I recognized the stool from the listing pic before I read anything.

20. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I missed the international part of the question. I ship them all with Ship Sure insurance.