• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DjangoV

Reaction score
Too late, it sold for 100K already
facepalm.gif

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That guy has the word 'troll' in his name.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone (who has good picture, no offense) take a few pics of how you pin yours. Just trying to get new/better ideas.

I use little rubber-covered wire chip clips; 2 or 3 down the back to cinch it, but you gotta take pics soon lest better fabrics will show wrinkles where you clipped it. Not my best pic (was still getting lighting worked out, and I should have steamed out some wrinkles), but an example. The shirt is longer than the coat and my mannequin is jersey-covered Styrofoam, so I do pin that up and under. EDIT: you were probably asking for pics of the actual pinning...sorry, I'm too lazy to set one up right now, but imagine the fabric pulled somewhat tight down the back and gathered with some small chip-clips. I sometimes do the same down the front when taking photos of the back, but usually not unless it's a really big size. Pinning probably takes a bit longer, but probably also looks better overall.

Also, someone asked earlier about taking pics of a suit and how to include the pants - this is how I do it. I've seen other sellers drape the pants over one of the shoulders which looks good as well, IMO.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I moved it to a different location

Here's another shot

Go with a more versatile tie. You'll want something that won't clash with various patterns and colors. In the past I've used burgundy/green solid grenadines, solid gold, solid navy, and now I use a black tie with a very fine micro-dot pattern in white.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome help guys... Do we pin the shirt and jacket or just shirt?

How's the photo itself?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup was asking more about pics of the actual pinning, but thanks. I ask as when I pin larger jackets the bottom sides go "in" towards the back and it throws the balance of the suit off. example below

Not sure but I think the photo angle might also have something to do with it...this looks like it's shot slightly from below, and to my eye a straight-on or 3/4 view shot (a la Wes), taken from a bit further back and higher, is more visually appealing. Just my personal preference tho - not sure if there's a consensus. Another personal preference is seeing some "empty space" between the arms and the body - really shows some definition and lines...which maybe be close to impossible once you're into the 48+ sizes without it looking all wrong on these tiny mannequins. It's frustrating sometimes how much I play with buttoning, straightening, cinching and finally say "screw it" and post my best shots which still suck.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pin the shirt up inside the bottom of the torso and pin the sleeves back.....or cut them off if you want.

I pin my jackets back at the waist to give it shape.

I clip mine at about the exact place you do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads