1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Nice, looks fun.

I personally could never use a tripod for eBay...would take waaaaay too long. I point & shoot and am on to the next shot within seconds. Probably takes me about 3-5 minutes per item from start to finish to photo. It goes on Manni, pin him up, 5-6 shots, then onto the white board to take some flat shots and then done.

I did something similar to you, in regards to putting in shelving. Its been a few months, but I posted pictures of the before and after of what it did to my office. Maybe I'll try and snap a few more recent ones for you, because I think it may help. Mine are directly into the walls, and everything hangs.

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Thats what I would love to do, we are going to have California Closets or someone similar redo our Master Closet and I am thinking I may have them add a few shelves to this wall as well. All of the closets in this house have these cheap wire racks, don't even have bars. I would appreciate some pictures of what you guys are doing. BTW I think since my wife helps with cataloging and arranging I can get in under 5 minutes per item [​IMG]. I am trying to get her to take over completely and let me just do the thrifting [​IMG]

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

haha, good luck with that proposal, because that can sound too good to be true lol.

Any help can make a big difference!

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Mind you I hate post too, the more eliminated subjectivity the better. But it's like 8 clicks to alter the white balance of however many images. And I don't have to worry about getting perfect light, just consistent temperature light. It's also only 3 clicks to have bridge tell photoshop to run a resizing/sharpening macro on however many images. I really, really like automation.

----

edit: Got it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

6. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Here is the situation.

I win a cheap cashmere Jos A Banks sweater for $5. I pay through Paypal and get the hourglass meaning it is waiting for the seller to claim. 2 weeks goes by I contact seller asking what is going on. No reply but a few hours later a fake tracking number is added. I wait another week, money still in limbo and call eBay for a different case and talk about this one. We discover the seller had put .con instead of .com in their Paypal account name. I open case, contact buyer again, no response, escalate case and eBay closes is it in sellers favor because I never paid???? WTF I immediately appeal and say I did pay but the buyer had an incorrect address. They closed it again saying they made the right decision. So all you sellers that get screwed by eBay, here is eBay siding with a buyer who did everything wrong.

Going to drink my 3rd beer and call eBay up.

8. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Just got off the phone with eBay and they put me through to someone competent. He looked at the case, the notes and said WTF? The person who closed the case had two wrong facts in his notes. He said I didn't pay and that the item had shipped and been delivered. He checked and saw that I had paid the first day and that the tracking number was bogus. Don't get anything, the buyer is not penalized in any way, but finally being told I did everything right and the buyer was at fault was cathartic.

Going for beer number 4 and try to calm down about my $5 dollar item... WTF is wrong with me getting this spun up over the price of a cup of coffee.

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  10. borbor

borbor Senior member

actually if your manni doesn't move and your camera doesn't move, you can probably go tripod and it''d take even less time.

subject and camera not moving, focal length not changing, lights not changing temp. If you have those 4 factors constant, technically you can have someone sit at the computer with the usb hooked onto the camera, tell him/her when to press the shutter via software while the camera is tethered to the computer, you rotate the manni around and the 6 shots could be done in under 10 seconds.

or, you can have a wireless remote, you rotate the manni as you get the shots, and then have the help do the flat shots.

too bad my wife is on full time "feed the twins" duty or i'd get her in on these shenanigans. Would save me a ton of time.

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

The photos I take while using a mannequin are not so simple such as you've described. The camer MUST move in order to fulfill my photos. I am not shooting in 1 location. Trust my method is dominate for me and is faster freehand rather than tripod.

Others may not require as much movement, and may benefit from your proposal, but not I.

12. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Love the small tie boxes for .25 each, but $15 shipping for 100 boxes :(. Will have to google coupon codes or something later.

13. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Buyer Question: I bought a "NWT" Brioni shirt on eBay. Aside from having the wrong size and measurements, it was clearly not new despite having a tag that I suspect was stuck on at a later date. The shirt had the previous owner's initials on a tag that was conveniently covered in the listing's photos, missing button on sleeve, marks of ironing shine, showing wear, mis-ironed collar, spots throughout the shirt, and the breast pocket had a bunch of lint/dust/crumbs(honestly looks like cornmeal) in it.

I opened a case, wanting a refund for the auction price, original shipping price, and the return shipping. Ebay closed it in my favor and the buyer issued a refund of the auction price and original shipping price. I haven't gotten anything for the return shipping, and the buyer has not contacted me. The case decision says nothing about me returning the item--it simply says that I've gotten a refund. From my understanding, a buyer usually doesn't get refunded until the seller receives the item back.

So, my question is: am I supposed to return this? When ebay closes a case for the buyer does it usually instruct the buyer to return the item? Normally I would expect to return, but I'm wondering if the seller just refunded everything without having the item returned since he/she intentionally misrepresented the item.

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

You don't need to return it unless Ebay tells you to. As far as I can tell, cases like this are protected by Ebay, and they are the ones who refunded you.

2 people like this.
  15. Displacement

Displacement Senior member

"I'll just save this cornbread for later in my shirt pocket here"

4 people like this.
  16. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Does anyone know how to turn off notifications in GarageSale? Every time I start the program, I get something like 3,000 notifications. It takes forever for all of them to pop up and disappear...

17. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

Hey guys, I'm in a spot of trouble. I sold the la vera jacket to this woman on Feb 27th, and it's been held at customs ever since. The tracker says its just waiting for her to pay and pick it up.
    The jacket had all its pockets still sewed shut and had no signs of use, thought the sleeves were finished. the first owner said it was unworn, so I described it as "new without tags".

Today I get this message:

Hi _____ Thanks a lot for your email.

As I was waiting for the parcel to arrive for the last weeks I went to a shop to view what I was going to get.I have to say that I was a bit surprised and disappointed to notice that NONE of the new suits or jackets had buttons on the sleeves. According to the shop this is to adjust for the specific arm length of the owner.I checked ebay and saw that actually NONE of the new suits or jackets for ”La Vera Sartoria Napoletana” - new with or without tags had already buttons attached.

My conclusion is therefore that the jacket you sent - and which is now held at customs by the UK border force - had been adjusted for its first owner and as such, per definition, is NOT NEW. It may be unworn or have had only little use but USED or AS NEW would have been the right description.

I am sending this to let you know that I do not intend to accept the item and parcelforce will automatically return it after customs held it for a total of 20 days. I assume you agree with the assessment and are OK with this. Given your good ratings you might have not known this yourself and I reckon that this was not intentional. Please transfer back the money including shipment expenses that I had sent via paypal as I presume you do not want me to file a dispute over this.Kind regards

I had pictures of the sleeve buttons attached, and its been 42 days since the transaction. What should I do?

18. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Thanks for the help! I kind of figured that I would be told to return it if I had to.

Lol yeah, not sure what was going on. Could also be semolina. I envisioned someone wearing it while making a pizza and when tossing it the semonlina/cornmeal crumbs fell on the shirt and into the pocket.

1 person likes this.
  19. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

I tend to agree with the buyer. People throw around the term "new without tags" way too much. If you don't personally know if it's new, then it's not new. As for the refund, I would rather her accept the package and you refund her return shipping expense. Relying on international postage to return a package, without new postage, is a gamble. You may completely lose the package, so the additional expense of return shipping is a small price to pay.

20. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

I got the jacket from the original owner, who said he never wore it after he had the sleeves finished. When I got it I looked it over and the pockets were all still sealed and the spare buttons were still there, i had no damage or signs of use, so i put it up as NWOT. Do you guys think that finished sleeves is enough to say it's used?