• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, which mannequins are you guys using for your menswear, and where can I get one?!
biggrin.gif

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. As a buyer, many of the things I've bought have been OBO!

Total aside:

I just had a random thought back to a Joseph Abboud sport coat I passed on when I first started. It had an amazing pattern that I would have loved to wear if it was my size, but it was huge. I didn't get it partially due to the label, but I kept looking at it till a gent in his 60's came over and asked about it because he thought it would fit his son who was a boxer. He was pretty happy when I handed it off to him. That was pretty good. I hope it fit his son.

Anyway...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having two of our closets redone for storage purposes. Right now all of the closets have those builder white wire looking things in them.

In the office closet I'm converting a single bar into two bars, and in the master closet I'm putting in a wood closet system against the back wall and upgrading the bars on both of the side walls as well as some other add-ons.

Before/after pics in a week.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have to ask, which mannequins are you guys using for your menswear, and where can I get one?!
Hate to be a dick in the help thread, but hey....it's Monday.

This topic has been discussed on about every third page through this entire thread. Do we all really have to weigh in again, or could you just read up on it.

But seriously, this thread is packed full of valuable information if you just take the time to read through it.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But seriously, this thread is packed full of valuable information if you just take the time to read through it.

Or at the very least use the search function. There is a "search this thread" link.

marc roberto

Reaction score
I listed so many freaking things today. Caught up on like 3 weeks worth of stuff. Man slacking hurts.

Now I understand why you guys pass on so much "good" stuff. It took me forever to take pictures and put things up. My system's getting better though and now with templates, it should be even faster, but hot damn.

Also, I'm sad that these have almost no traction. Any advice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201015732415?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Just my 2 cents. The pictures could be better, take a look at how others who are popular and making good sales take their pictures and emulate. Also how many times did you relist them already? This brand is not a popular on e-bay like Ferragamo, Gucci and Prada and not many people are doing a search on theses, plus 200 is a lot for most people to spend on shoes. Sometimes you need to wait around a long time until something sell. Ask Brianpore about patience. You could lower the price and you'll sell it sooner or you can sit tight and wait. I just sold a pair of NWT Giorgio Armani black label pants after almost a year of waiting for someone to pay the right price.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
had my best profit margin ever this weekend. sold a loro piana sweater that i got for free ($10 credit at GW) for >$200. :slayer:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents. The pictures could be better, take a look at how others who are popular and making good sales take their pictures and emulate. Also how many times did you relist them already? This brand is not a popular on e-bay like Ferragamo, Gucci and Prada and not many people are doing a search on theses, plus 200 is a lot for most people to spend on shoes. Sometimes you need to wait around a long time until something sell. Ask Brianpore about patience. You could lower the price and you'll sell it sooner or you can sit tight and wait. I just sold a pair of NWT Giorgio Armani black label pants after almost a year of waiting for someone to pay the right price.

The pictures of the shoes could be better?

Hm. I'll have to work to find a better spot at my place then. I think the setup I have for clothes is a little better. In any event, I think next time I'll just throw them up for a month. I've already relisted them twice.

Reigningchamp

Reaction score

Hm. I'll have to work to find a better spot at my place then. I think the setup I have for clothes is a little better. In any event, I think next time I'll just throw them up for a month. I've already relisted them twice.
I am learning to study the completed/sold listings and the pictures. I look at the highest priced items that have sold and emulate. I use poster board as my background for shoes and a female mannequin for my clothing. I just turn the mannequin around and no one can tell the difference.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the quality is fine (looks like you have some decent natural light by the window), but as Spoo suggested, try some other angles. You have 12 photos to upload and most folks end up maximizing their this by using the same shots to profile shoes. Take a look at what others have done.

I like to provide an overhead shot to show the profile of the shoe (e.g., is it a very narrow pointy last, or more round), a shot of the inside label on the heel or side of shoe showing size and other information, photo of the back of the shoes sitting on a table so folks can judge heel wear from the gap between the table and the heel, a front shot, the bottom of both shoes so folks can judge sole wear, and then the left side of both shoes, and the right side of both shoes. If there are any imperfections, you certainly need to take detailed shots of those (can help to point using the eraser of a pencil so folks can tell location and scale). Finally, you want to avoid extreme angles with shots. Everything should be, for the most part, straight on.

Regarding price, you can hold out for top dollar, but you will likely end up waiting quite a while. I normally prefer a quick sale and decent return and so price things accordingly. I simply don't have the time, patience, or space to have a bunch of inventory sitting around my NYC studio apartment.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll take more pictures when I get a chance with some light. I'm okay holding out for these ones since I'm curious what will happen. Getting rid of them faster could be nice, so if It comes to it, I'll auction starting at 99.99.

For now ill probably relist them in a good till cancelled listing if they don't get traction this time around. With new pictures of course.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@capnwes , I'm going to test out the 38S magic. I have a theory blazer that I threw up starting at 49.99 that's tagged a 38R but measures like a 38S (28.5-29 length and 22.5 sleeves). Lets see what happens!

wilay05

Reaction score
Had a guy make me a best offer on a sweater (which was a very low ball offer). Then, when I countered with a higher price, he initiated negotiating through messages. When I told him my best price for the item, he started to make up numbers and misquoting what I had previously offered him. At this point, I chose to end negotiations with him because it was not worth the hassle. When I did this, he threatened to report me to eBay if I did not continue to negotiate with him, leave negative feedback, and accused me of not being professional!!! What a character!

here's his final message to me

"Why did you waiste my time. Now I must report you to e b ay and give negativ e rating. If you said 90.00
I had right to ciunter. Now yiu renegged"

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can he leave negative feedback even though he hasn't even bought anything?

Then again, if he buys the item just to leave negative feedback then that'd be pretty hilarious.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Had a guy make me a best offer on a sweater (which was a very low ball offer).  Then, when I countered with a higher price, he initiated negotiating through messages.  When I told him my best price for the item, he started to make up numbers and misquoting what I had previously offered him.  At this point, I chose to end negotiations with him because it was not worth the hassle.  When I did this, he threatened to report me to eBay if I did not continue to negotiate with him, leave negative feedback, and accused me of not being professional!!!  What a character! 

here's his final message to me

"Why did you waiste my time. Now I must report you to e b ay and give negativ e rating. If you said 90.00
I had right to ciunter. Now yiu renegged"

Sounds a bit crazy. Obviously, its your right to decline any offers/end negotiations without having come to a deal. Make sure you block him on your list!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads