1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

Thanks Wes and Snoogz. 2/2, birdseye, nailhead, pick and pick, twill weave, etc. are quite hard to distinguish from crappy google images. I'll have to do some searching here on SF and potentially hit up a suit store to look at the differences in person.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Wes (i think) put out a pdf of a weave distinction set...Its very useful.

PM me your email, and I'll forward it to u.

Cant seem to figure out how to upload a pdf

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Think i figured it out

1 person likes this.
  4. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

Excellent, thank you. I have a few mediocre at best web pages favorited, but they were not doing the trick.

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

yea that form is excellent, especially with the descriptions it gives. Enjoy it, and use it ! [​IMG]

6. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I can't take credit for that one, I found it somewhere else on styleforum.....not sure where now. Of course....it's an old ass reference anyway, from the looks of it.

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Thanks. That's what I did. Waiting for his reply.

8. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

So I just got this:
    Quote: and the item disappeared from my Purchase History. Meaning I can't track the package, and I don't know when and if it ships. Also I don't know how to open a case for it in the event I don't receive the item. Should I be worried? The seller was a 0 feedback seller and I was worried a bit.

9. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Should be able to track through paypal too.....if they use ebay or paypal shipping.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  10. ReubenR

ReubenR Well-Known Member

As an update to this, the seller never responded to my message after I told her just to give me a refund of around $15, to keep $5 and shipping to cover her expenses. I gave her several days to respond then opened a case asked for full refund including shipping and return shipping if they wanted it back. I tried to settle it the easy way and give her an out that wouldn't end up costing her, but seeing as how she didn't take me up on that I was tired of being nice. My refund went through within an hour of opening the case, and now I'm just ready to put this to rest.

My three remaining questions are: A) am I supposed to return the item now, B) if so how do I go about doing that, and C) I know negative or neutral feedback can really screw y'all over as sellers, but this seems like a case where it's legitimately deserved, correct? Thanks again!

11. hbkshin

If the refund went through and they didn't provide return shipping as part of the refund I would not return it. This listing was a down-right lie. This is a clear-cut case of when to use eBay case openings. The listing was a lie, you messaged the seller, and after no contact you opened a case.

This is definitely deserving of a negative feedback. The listing was a lie. Nothing in the listing mentions the damages when the damages are EXTREMELY obvious. The seller did not try to settle the dispute, and you had to go through eBay to fix the situation. The seller doesn't care about his sales or customers and you had a terrible experience.

12. ReubenR

That's my view on things, that the damage could conceivably have been overlooked by someone unfamiliar with men's clothes, like the kinda hodge-podge estate sale/storage unit seller this person is, but that once the damage was revealed to them they took entirely the wrong stance.

13. rebel222

rebel222 Well-Known Member

Whoah. I understand negative feedback for a lie, but that damage is inside the sleeve lining. A lie implies that she knew of the damage. The damage where the sleeve lining meets the internal coat lining should have been noticed, but it is easy to understand that she could have overlooked it. The tears all the way down the sleeve lining could be overlooked by most sellers.

It's up to you to determine whether their lack of response to your claim warrants negative feedback, but it's entirely possible she voluntarily closed the case in your favor within an hour. I think it's bad form to ignore your message, but she may have been out of town or sick. Who knows? Unless it went through an eBay automated system, I doubt an eBay employee read your case and closed it in your favor within one hour.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

I think to say the listing is a "down-right lie" is a little harsh. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that a seller could miss item miss a flaw, although maybe not if it's as obvious as Reuben says. I know I've missed flaws, especially in linings, because I don't turn every item inside out. The difference is that, as a seller, I'm going to make it right. This seller didn't and that's where I believe the negative feedback is warranted.

15. rebel222

I guess I disagree because you have know idea why she failed to respond to the messages. If she responded and told him to "F off," I'd get it. Or, if you noticed she listed new items on eBay without responding, you can say she ignored his message. However, without any of those, I would not leave feedback or maybe leave neutral.

16. hbkshin

The damage also extended to the sleeve. Missing small lining damages like loose threads is easy, I've done it too, but that degree of damage is hard to miss. If you handle the jacket to check the tag inside the pocket, it's visible. I honestly can't see how you could miss such extensive damage to the lining on the shoulder.
    He/She listed it as Excellent Condition so I feel like they lied about the listing. Personally if I see something listed as Excellent with pictures that don't show the insides/crucial parts of an item, I take it on faith that they're in said condition.

Maybe it was harsh, but everything about the sale screams to me the things I hate when I buy things.

17. ReubenR

I think she didn't knowingly overlook the damage, but I'm pretty sure she was knowingly ignoring my request for a refund. The previous interactions occurred over an hour to an hour and a half and the last message I sent was within five minutes of receiving her response. I wouldn't be surprised if she went ahead and ended the case herself knowing that she had no chance of fighting it. I didn't ding her on shipping charges or speed, but definitely on communication and item as described. To continue to claim that the item "looked pretty good" after receiving documentation of the extensive damage strikes me as being pretty disingenuous.

18. rebel222

Sorry, I didn't realize that she responded and then later stopped responding once you asked for a partial refund. I missed that part. I change my vote to neutral or negative.

19. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Garage Sale is running slow as of late. The last two auctions I uploaded (one about 3-4 days ago and one today) took a solid minute (literally 60 seconds) to upload. For the past 2 years auctions have uploaded for me in less than 10 seconds.

20. cdgreg

cdgreg Well-Known Member

Shipping my first item Priority Mail Military to APO AP 96271. I've taken care of the standard shipping label without a problem.

Ebay has a warning that says: We noticed that you are shipping to an APO or FPO address. You also need to print and fill out customs form 2976-A. When I click on the link it attempts to go here and then times out: http://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/cp72sender_recipient_APO.jsp

Is this form something you guys normally do through ebay, or do you have to do it manually?