1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. concealed

concealed Senior member

This far from an ordinary situation, as you can probably tell.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I should go over and take a picture. If you had two people in line, a third person would have to wait in the lobby.....with the 50 or so PO boxes.

3. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Agreed 100%. Never ever go beyond "It is priced reasonably" to justify a price. It is a rookie mistake to go down that road.

The idea that what you paid for something can be used to arrive at a "fair" profit is a childish concept.

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I would just remind the buyer that I have costs associated with selling on Ebay. I wouldn't go into details, as what I actually make on an item has no relation to its value.

I had a buyer last week who said HED seen an item for x price at an outlet store across town. I reminded him that I had to pay for shipping, that he wouldn't have to pay tax and that he wouldn't have to drive across town. I counter with x + $15 and he accepted.

6. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

I fully agree with you on the second part. However, I don't think I made any kind of "rookie mistake" as you call it in explaining how things work to him. I did him a favor because I'm a nice person and I see no harm in it. I didn't do it because I thought I had to. The numbers I gave him were all based on an imaginary price and I helped to open his mind to the other side of the deal. Otherwise you are absolutely right. I can sell for whatever price I want to, if he doesn't like it he can go elsewhere.

True, I could have been more general about it. I was in the mood to expound so I did. I think we share a lot of the same business approaches based on some of the things I've seen you write.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Ugh was at FedEx today with a prepaid package, just wanted a receipt due to package value. Go to side rolling rack where you drop off prepaid packages but guy in front of me had big boxes there. Only one staff who was helping someone with a lost package. I ask guy in front are you just dropping off and he says yes. So I wait. After a few minutes I see guy in front actually has forms filled out and not even completed so I ask again but either he doesn't get what I'm asking or just doesn't care. After 10 minutes lady still not able to find package so I ask if I can just drop off and get receipt. She says yes one minute. 10 more minutes go by and guy in front moves his big boxes elsewhere so I put my package onto rolling rack, ask for receipt again but about to leave it as it's been 20 minutes aleady. Guy that was in front of me gives me dirty look and makes some comment under his breath. Lady scans my package and as I leave he bitches at me for being impatient and other stuff like that. Really pissed me off for some reason as I waited patiently for something I didn't even need to wait for.

/rant though this always happens at this FedEx since staff is so slow and someone always bitches (and in one case shoved someone out of way who was dropping off a package) at people dropping off just never happened to me. Maybe also annoyed me since 3 different people literally crashed into my parked Costco cart since they couldn't wait 10 seconds for another cart to pass by

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I don't know about the rest of you, but when someone mumbles something under their breath towards me or my family, they will certainly hear exactly what I have to say back to them, verbally or physically. I just recently had to have a very heated confrontation with my new neighbor behind me, because he thought it was appropriate to inform my 2 yr old daughter to "be quiet and shush" while she swings in the backyard. She was talking in a normal voice and volume register. My head popped over that fence quicker than he thought. Needless to say, he shouldn't be doing that ever again, unless he wants to throw some blows.

1 person likes this.
  9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I used to respond but these days it's not worth it. Seems to happen regularly in LA (I'm from Bay originally) so first few months I moved down here I would respond now I just ignore it. Not worth it anymore. If I had kids then definitely no question though

And it's just the way this Fedex is set up too, it's intended for commercial shippers and overnight / 2 day packages so people regularly come in to drop off packages and nothing more. There are always issues with people who don't understand the side area is just for drop offs and long wait times usually means people start acting up

10. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Have an untagged Paul Stuart Brown tweedish jacket.

BoC: 32.5
    Sleeves: 26.5
    Shoulders: 19.75
    P2P: 22
    Waist: 19.75

What would you list this as a 40L?

11. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Chest = 44, so I'd say jacket size 42, no? And Boc does suggest L, so I'd go with 42L.

1 person likes this.
  12. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

OK, so I purchased a pair of Florsheim Shell Longwings from ebay. The description says:

Vintage Florsheim Wing Tip Shell Cordovan Burgundy color size 12 D in pretty much used condition. The upper has creases, bending and wrinkles(see photo) out sole has been changed(not original) still much use left in these. heels are an original with v-cleat. insoles are show pretty much wear.(see photo)

I get the shoes today and find a 2 inch cut on the inside of one shoe. Apart from that, the shoes look great and fit me perfectly. Pictures attached:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I unreasonable in thinking that wear on shoes doesn't include cuts and they should be mentioned explicitly? The seller seems nice. I wrote to him earlier asking if he had a tracking number, and he apologized profusely for his tardiness. Charged me only $6.5 for shipping for a medium flat rate box. I would like a partial refund for the shoes so I can feel good about using them as beaters. Am I being the kind of asshole buyer we complain about in this thread?

13. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

At worst, give him the benefit of the doubt and ask him if he had noticed the slice because you did not see it identified within the listing. He may have missed it, and offer you some type of compensation. If he says he knows, and that's what he considers normal wear and tear, then you can decide your path from there!

14. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Is there a name for this "pattern?" Basically, it's a rough, almost dotted, wool of gray and dark gray. Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Need a closeup

16. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Damn, just boxed it up lol. Here is the full size version of the one I linked from ebay, it may let you click on it to enlarge. If you can't tell from that then nm, sorry! Like a lesser version of a houndstooth?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Yea, I would certainly go with 42L

Looks like nailhead from this distance.

18. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Nailhead seems accurate from a google image search. I learn something new every day from these forums. Curious, for Item Specifics - Pattern: Would you type in Nailhead or choose one of the pre-loads (solid?)?

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Looks like a two/two weave to me rather than nailhead. I would chose "plaids and checks" from the drop down menu.

1 person likes this.
  20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

could be 2/2 as well, just hard to tell...but nailhead seems to fit better or sound better in a title lol. But either way, Wes is right for the drop down, because you want it to populate still if someone searches and narrates using that search method.

EDIT: after zooming in on that collar shot, I stand corrected, it is 2/2, and not a nailhead.