1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Refreshed mine, seems to work perfectly.

EDIT: do you need to renew your subscription or payment?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Do you guys have multiple eBay/Paypal accounts to keep things separate? I use my paypal for personal reasons and for selling on eBay, should I keep them separate?

Also what do you think about 2 separate eBay accounts, I have started buying non-clothing related things. For instance, I have a few sound boards I got cheap that will go for a few hundred each but would look incongruous residing next to a bunch of fine menswear.

Going through for instance the listings of @Brianpore that he sells plastic slides and entire barns next to his clothing so not sure if it really matters.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Garagesale users: When you upload an auction into eBay for a "scheduled listing" (not actually live yet), can you use that template that has now been highlighted in yellow within GS (because it assumes it is live online), and re-launch it at a later date without any hiccups or problems?

4. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I just had to update my Paypal account with proof of my name, address, and SSN to remove some restrictions they'd put on it. Something to do with IRS regs. I had to upload pics of my driver's license and SS card.

5. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

so it looks like i'm going to lose my top rated selling status because some yahoo gave me a 2 on shipping costs (all my shipping costs are reasonable and is pretty damn close to what i actually pay). How much do you think losing this designation hurts?

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

It never seemed to hurt me in the past. But that's part of why I do "free shipping". I feel strongly that buyers should not be able to ding you for shipping charges if you use calculated shipping and don't exaggerate the weight when creating listings. IMO, most people have no clue how much shipping costs.

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

One 2 will negate top rated seller status?! I really need to read that update...

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Depends on how much you sell, For me it is pretty important. If I lost Top Rated Seller status, that would mean losing about $3600 yearly in fee discounts. Plus I would lose my Ebay shipping discount, which is worth conservatively around $7500 a year at my current selling rate. So, I'd say it's worth about $3-$4 of profit on each individual sale.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I opened a 2nd eBay account but never ended up using it...was just too much to keep track of. I had intended it for the same - listing non-clothing items - but I ended up listing everything together and it didn't seem to help or hurt (I was selling some records and vintage speaker components). I'd be more concerned with listing counterfeit stuff or something that would make a buyer wonder about the integrity of your other items.
    In the end, I stuck with selling via my original eBay account because it has the feedback, discounts etc, and I'm fairly certain that would not carry over to a new 2nd eBay account...but I didn't go so far as to check with eBay on that.

10. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I dont see how 1 transaction can lead tothe loss of TRS under either the existing or new seller standards. Under the current system nothing happens before you have 2 low ratings and under the new system it appears that you need to have 5 unhappy customers before status is in jeopardy.
    Am I not reading this correctly?

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I just conduct business as normal, since it's been working. If I see myself drop, I'll assess the situation, and adjust going forward. I don't have time to worry prior to the issue surfacing.

--
    Wiley

I would look to make sure that single rating was not the only low rating in the last 12 months to make you lose your rating status. That sounds a bit harsh.

12. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

When I go to my feedback, I now see a " Report a buyer" button. It's for reporting policy violations. Has anyone used that before?

These are the possible reasons for a report:

Buyer made unreasonable demands
    Buyer abused a buyer protection program
    Buyer misused returns
    Other problems

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Constantly. Any time a buyer asks to falsify customs docs, threatens neg feedback, or any other shady shit. If we were to have a transaction, and it went to a case for some reason, all that stuff is essential ammunition.

1 person likes this.
  14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

on this topic, on the rare item that you charge for shipping, do you pass on the discount or part of it?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I charge shipping on all international packages, at which point I pass on a good portion of the savings

16. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

Well before I got serious about selling on eBay, I had two transactions that got low ratings for shipping costs. I never charge more than an reasonable estimate of the actual shipping costs, so I'm not sure those were justified. I have had around 150+ transactions and received positive feedback for every sale. I got the top rated status last month, and have tried very hard to make every one of my customers happy. I looked through all the sales I have had in the last month, and all the shipping costs were beyond fair. It's too bad that this while thing is anonymous. So now, since I have 3 low ratings, i'm going to lose my top rated status because I have exceeded the.5% threshold for low ratings. Such bs. I'm going to have to work my ass off to get it back. I think I may just start another account and start over. It will get top rated faster by doing that, then trying to revive this account.

17. Yorker

Yorker Senior member

Weird thing happened to me.

Listed an isaia sport coat, sort of a strange one, hard to get a buyer. A guy bids on it, then a day later some random account that is just a string of letters and numbers places a bid. No feedback, so I check his account, it was created that day. I sent him a message that if he messaged me back where he was located and that he intended to pay for the jacket, I would let his bid stand. He didn't, so i deleted his bid.

the other guy won, but didn't pay. after I messaged him five days later he says this:

"I'm sorry for this late reply. I didn't realized I won the jacket. I thought I was outbid.
    Unfortunately I no longer want the jacket anymore. Could you cancel the transaction? Thank you."

Do you think he made a burner account to get out of the winning it?

anyway, I'm going to let the unpaid item assistant go through instead of canceling it.

Black list if anyone wants it:

wuqinggongwqg

18. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Is anyone else having trouble with e-bays shipping labels? Whenever I add insurance I get an error we cannot retrieve the label 9 error 2340- the postage amount given is invalid for this rate class]
    Anyone know what to do?

19. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

20. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

what type of postage are you adding insurance to? Priority? First Class? International or domestic?