1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Serious answer:

My theory is that it is a combination of these factors:
    1. Buyers determine sales volume on ebay. There will always be plenty of sellers. So ebay values buyers more highly than sellers.
    2. A seller is more likely to be a business, so they are somewhat accustomed to the concept of the customer always being right.
    3. As a practical matter, ebay must choose one side and be consistent. They do not want to have to devote the manpower necessary to thoroughly investigate and judge every dispute. So they make simplified ground rules, which of course are easily abused.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Got this package back today for insufficient address.

Uh..... yeah, ya think?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

How did they find your address? Visit the website lol?

But anyways, who the fuck ripped that to shreds?

1 person likes this.
  4. suited

suited Senior member

Pretty much. It's too bad they don't give some autonomy to the eBay reps who handle feedback disputes. In my case I was willing to issue a full refund (without ever getting the item returned back to me) simply because the post office didn't track it correctly, and they still refused to remove the feedback.

Oh, by the way, the eBay customer service phone number is going to be discontinued this month (they have a recording that tells you this when you call in). It sounds like they will not publish another number, meaning all disputes will be handled online. That should be fun. As a seller, without access to that number so you can immediately and clearly make your case, the buyer has even more control.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Huh - did not know he was in my neck o' the forest, scooping up the field mice and boppin' them on the head.
    Doubt it's ATLjon, nor Bob the Magician or whatever his name is.

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Hey guys. I have a pair of nwt polo golf cords. Made in Italy. Would those be corneliani?

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Possibly. Do you have pics of the tags?

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

He's not, they ship.

11. DanM

DanM Senior member

How do you guys manage/track your inventory? Especially those of you running a lot of auctions, with plenty of additional inventory to go up, and possibly consigning as well? Packing and writing the ebay item number on a package right after listing doesn't seem to work - if the item gets relisted, it ends up with a new ebay item number. Is there a bar coding system that will integrate with garagesale?

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Some people (@txwoodworker & @jebarne ?) have created their own serial number system for each item and package each piece, and write their serial number on the package before shipping. Seems to serve them well. So far I haven't had to go this far, and my memory's pretty good, but I could see if I maybe doubled my output how I'd have to.

I think you could create a serial number system based on item, brand, date (purchased), and maybe size, or something else more particular to each item.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

the only way to fully maximize this is to run a POS system integrated for consigning, which will allow you to tag each clothing article to a specific consignor. Or in another case, tag each clothing article that belongs to the house (aka your personal thrift purchase, output for resale).

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

I just store similar things in similar boxes. It helps that I tend to work on auction in batches of 100 or so, and correspond my storage with these waves or phases. IE: one box of shirts, smaller box with ties, couple boxes of suits/jackets/etc, knits. I don't like the idea of packing all my stuff up before hand, who knows when multiple items will be shipped together.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I started out with that. Now its 2014-10500, 501, 502 etc.

That's the number in the "SKU" field in GS and I hand write that on the shipping box where the label will go, so no matter if I relist or not, that's the identifier.

What I'm thinking of doing is hang tags that are printed with the inventory number so that I can just tear off the bottom and tape it to the end of the box so I can see it on the shelf once it is packaged.

Anyone have a source for cheap labels at low volumes?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

If you find some with big discount for large quantities, you should check for a group buy. I would get in on something like that. Especially if you can get a few samples and give a rundown on how to use them...

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Unfortunately, that hasn't been a problem for me yet. maybe 3 multiples since october.

Ties I put in the plastic bags, not boxes, but shoes, jackets, suits and anything bulky goes in a box. @txwoodworker was the poster boy for this, but he leaves an end open just in case. I tape it and move it out onto the shelves.

Pants and Shirts are borderline so I put them in plastic only. even though it cost a quarter more for RRA than padded flat rate, I'd rather ship in a box. But more often than not, its in a zone where its sometimes $5 cheaper to send it in a padded envelope.

If I consistently charged calculated shipping for these items, I could just package them and not worry about the extra couple bucks. (I do weigh everything I put into a box and write it on the measurements for entry into GS. I believe Wes just uses standard weights based on the item)

Right now, I mainly do free shipping on ties, suits, shirts and pants, and do calculated on shoes and bulky items. I certainly see the virtue in Spoo's flat rate strategy because you don't worry about the details for 95% of what you sell.

19. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I also use something similar with a hanging tag, and hand write a item # on the back, which can include anything from just an item itself, or a person I am consigning an item with. but as that business side grows, it will get more intricate if need be.