1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Responding to my own post.

The RLPL suit was delivered to the wrong address.

[​IMG]

Contacted the seller and he showed me the shipping receipt to confirm he'd sent it to the right address. Only he hadn't. Messed up the last digit of the zip code. When I pointed that out, his reply was "I guess the guy couldn't read my handwriting. Anything else you'd like me to do?" Fine customer service, that. Why, oh, why, didn't I just bid higher when Spoo sold it?

It's up in Stockton and showing as delivered on the USPS website. Don't know how the USPS decided that Stockton, CA--which only matches two of the five digits in the incorrect zip--was a better choice than the actual address, which matches four of five.

Tried to call the post office but it was closed by the time I got through. Tried to leave a voice mail, per the suggestion on their message. Only their voice mailbox is full.

[​IMG]

I know I can get my money back, but I want the damn suit!!

I feel like I'd have a better chance if it hadn't been delivered. I'll try the Post Office again tomorrow, but are they really going to go back to the address and ask to have the package back? They're just going to eat it, right?

Any sellers have something similar happen to them? If so, what was the experience or outcome?

[​IMG]

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

You might get lucky, and it will be shipped RTS.

3. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I think you can. My ties don't have them, nor my shirts, but my suits and suit jackets do.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Looks like your ties that are BIB/OBO do have them, but the auction stuff doesn't.

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Maybe I'm confused. I was under the assumption you could remove that, but maybe eBay just controls it. That's kinda annoying.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I think it helps really.

If it's NOT shown on the auctions, potential bidders are not feeling put off by seeing a lot of watchers.
    If it IS shown on the BIN/OBO listings, potential buyers will feel pressured to pull the trigger before someone else does, or make a higher offer, thinking there might already be offers on the table.

1 person likes this.
  7. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Doesn't your promotions show what is being used each month?

[​IMG]

I don't think it tells you extra fees though if for instance the free listings are for 7 days and you do 10 days. Your listing is free but you get charged 30 cents for the 10 day listing. Also under account activity it should show the individual fees.

I am probably not understanding the question correctly because you sell way more than me.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

To whoever mentioned the adhesive paper labels in 8.5x11 size last week, thank you!!

These things are going to be a real time and tape saver in the long run... I'm now more motivated to print 2 per page now, so I only went through 5 sheets today. 995 to go!

9. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

An issue with USPS:

I bought and printed label online

Scheduled package pick up

Got an email confirming the package was picked up

Come home from work and package is still on doorstep

WTF?!

10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Yep. And it won't close on a size 40 mannequin. That's what's not adding up. But it occurred to me to measure the full inside because sometimes coats extend the pt to pt into the sleeve.

On a day I didn't have 50 things to do, I would have thought of that.

Thanks

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Frustrating...I know. Has happen twice this week.
    I do not have a regular postman yet in my area due to population & housing. They are in the process of re-routing for drivers to give us someone constant.
    I think that is my problem for my area, its usually a rotation of 3-4 different people.

[​IMG]

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Is any one else having issues with the iPhone eBay app? I was bidding on items yesterday and the day before and it would turn red and say "You have been outbid on this item". The first time it happened I bid again and it still showed red (this was like I bid $13.14 than $15.14 the second time on a shirt). I was maxed out and wasn't going any higher so I hit the back arrow and it shows green and I have the high bid for like $4.99. Every single thing I have bid on the last two days shows I have been outbid even when I am far above the highest bid.

13. thefastlife

super frustrating!

14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I've had the postal worker come to my door to deliver a package and walk right past my packages that were scheduled for pick up!

15. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

RRGGHHHH I feel like Charlie Brown. 3 times in the last 6 months I have bought from 0 feedback buyers. Every time they refuse to ship the item after I win it, usually because they priced it low and I was the only bidder... The current one is a NWT JoS A Banks sweater for 4.75 w/ free shipping. Sent the money through Paypal and it is in limbo, I guess she doesn't have an account so it sends an email to her telling her to claim it. Not sure what happens if she doesn't?

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

You just open a case and ebay will refund you. Do this if you don't get any communication or ANYTHING.

17. thefastlife

so i guess its safe to assume the "package has been picked up" emails are auto generated and have 0 bearing on what actually happened?

18. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I've talked to a postman in a neighboring city about those generated emails. He said they shouldn't be populating unless that driver does in fact scan the slip saying "I fulfilled the pickup request". I've gotten them sent as well even though no pickup was completed.

Unfortunately, we have to remember we are dealing with a government service, and we all know they tend to bite off more than they can chew.

19. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Sadly, I've figured out why my leather jacket wasn't working. It is an EU 52. However, on other jackets there was a 3" drop from chest to waist. On this jacket, there is a 10.5" drop, plus it tapers over a shorter coat, 4" shorter. I'm back to thinking a woman's, with the exception of the size 52 tag and the 19" shoulders.

I drew it up to help visualize it. I've got average on the left, this one on the right.

[​IMG]

Comments?

20. Mifune

Mifune Well-Known Member

Would appreciate any help with this scenario:

On my Ebay, I state that I post to UAE. Winner of my auction (a jacket) has an Ebay confirmed address in USA, however they want me to post to UAE as that's where they supposedly live now.

If this is a fraudulent transaction and I post the jacket to UAE instead of the Ebay confirmed address, Paypal can reverse the payment and I end up losing the jacket, the sales price, and international postage (and probably get negative feedback to go along with it).

The auction winner doesn't want to have the transaction cancelled as he won the jacket for dirt cheap. He can leave negative feedback if I don't ship the jacket.

I have contacted Ebay to i) annul the transaction as the purchaser wants me to conduct the transaction outside of Ebay/Paypal best practice; and ii) block the purchaser from leaving negative feedback (as I am only refusing to post based on the likelihood of fraud), however they have been as useless as tits on a bull and are treating this as if it's a purchaser non-payment issue. I have reiterated and clarified numerous times that the real issue is fraud prevention, but to no avail.

What have some of you experienced sellers done in such a situation?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014