1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

2. borbor

borbor Senior member

Just had somoene local buy something off me off the 'bay.

We agreed to complete the transaction face to face.

What steps would some of the more experienced ebayers here make to ensure that he doesn't open a "did not ship" case after we complete the transaction?

thanks

3. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

Not sure why i'm getting all of these weird situations lately, but anyways...
    sold item for a decent chunk of change. buyer messages me and says uh...

"Big mistake by someone. My maximum bid on the Brooks Brothers Suspenders was $20.99. I did not bid $61.00 with a maximum bid of $21,099.00."

Not sure where he got the max bid number? but either way, he outbid the next person in the auction by a dollar. Isn't he obligated to pay at that price? Do i open a buyer did not paid case?

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Hidden camera. Also, you can ask him to leave feedback before going your separate ways.

5. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I don't think I really fall into that category by my own definition, but you might make a carbon recept pad with you, write in the details, and have them sign it, give them a copy, and keep one. You can get a carbon receipt pad from Staples/Office Max/Office Depot. Then snap a picture of them holding the item and smiling. :)

6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Sounds like an honest mistake, probably by him, but maybe by eBay. I'd let him out of it and do a second chance offer.

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

I asked this question before and got great advice here. The key is to accept cash only. It'll be too easy for anyone to claim they didn't get the item and make a claim on paypal. And your written receipts with his signature don't mean shit, apparently.

2 people like this.
  8. kloss

kloss Senior member

when you meet him in person offer a 10% discount for cancelling the eBay purchase right there. You end up with the same amount of money since you don't have to pay fees. Just make sure that he has a chance to check over the merchandise.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  9. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

Should I cancel the transaction then and then just re-list as second chance? I feel like the other bidder should be notified as well as they basically went back and forth on the bidding. Any suggestions on that?

10. borbor

borbor Senior member

screw it. sounds like way more hassle than I'd bargain for considering he already paypal'd me

just gonna ship it; i live behind the post office anyway and what i charged him for postage actually covered the actual postage (i just do a flat fee for shoes) instead of it biting into my sales.

thanks for all your responses everyone :)

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I
    i beleive you have the option to canvel his bid/purchase, and then to the right of the transaction in the drop down menu you'll have the option to offer it to the next highest bidder as a "second chance offer" to which I think they have 48 hours to respond. They'll get it for the last amount the bid for it. (Again, I think that's basically how it works. Haven't done it in a few months, and don't have it in front of me, but I'm sure you could also search eBay for how the process works.

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I just sold a canali SC to someone on ebay.

A few days after delivery,I get a message saying that the sleeves have working cuffs and the tailor can't lengthen sleeves without things looking ridiculous.

Any chance I can fight this? The button would have to be moved no matter what... I could have sworn they weren't working cuffs.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  13. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

did you state in your listing whether they were working or not?

did you take photos of the button cuffs to determine whether they were working or not?

if he has working cuffs, it would cost about 75-125 to lengthen from the sleeve head aka not worth it.

you'll most likely be getting a return soon

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I see them in the transaction details window on a routine basis.

16. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Other than everything on the tag being written in Italian, it doesn't say explicitly. We need to come up with a way to assign a number to labels based on rows and blocks so you don't have to do a stare and compare.

17. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Wait.. I've been doing it wrong this whole time.. I can literally put clothing into poly mailers slap a label on it and ship it out?! I've been wasting my money on bubble wrap and kraft envelopes this whole time. Someone clarify if I got this wrong, would 12x9x4 boxes work for suits or tweed jackets? Struggling to find the right size boxes that don't run me a bunch ( from canada)

18. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Hidden camera sounds like a really horrible suggestion.

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I did an entire write up on this but to break it down:

Shirts & ties go int a white poly bag and label goes on. Its up to you if you want to add extra wrapping inside to help protect the item but I suggest you do.

Sports coats & most suits can fit inside a Regional Rate A box which is the cheapest way to ship 95% of the time. If you need t go coast to coast and RR-A is not large enough, use a Medium Flat Rate. If you are not going coast to coast use a Regional Rate B box. Thats pretty much all you need in inventory to ship. Again up to you if you want to wrap the items before putt in the box

Shoes go into the USPS Shoe Box. Again up to you if you want to wrap the items before putt in the box

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Inside a box.