1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. suited

suited Senior member

I hear ya. It's up to eBay now. The buyer of the other topcoat (same donor, same brand, sold a couple of days before the topcoat in question) left stellar feedback, and I mentioned that in the case, so I have that going for me.

I don't foresee the problem to be as risky as you do, but yes, I am willing to risk it to a certain degree. The more cases like this sellers are able to win means fewer buyers trying to pull this crap.

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Then you might want to ask an accountant or the IRS.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

He is asking if anyone here already does that since there are several full time sellers on this forum. There are also a few accountants that post on here who may answer. I am guessing instead of a guess or common sense he is asking one of those groups for an answer. If you know anything about Government workers, you know that they are not necessarily the sharpest tools.

Example #1

Example #2

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

I'm a CPA. Paypal and ebay records should be fine. the agent would do the following:

compare total deposits on your bank statements to total sales reported. youd have a chance to explain any unreported deposits, like maybe a refund check or a gift or anything like that that shouldnt be a sale.

then, theyll look at the expenses you report and try and poke holes in them. the largest ones will be the targets because there is the most opportunity to deny expenses there. id be more focused on keeping immaculate inventory and cost of sales records.

shipping shouldnt be that difficult to prove in a comparison between the number of sales and the number of shipping transactions. if all your sales per paypal are reported, then if you have an equal or lesser number of shipping transactions as sales transactions, the risk to the agent is minimal that some of your shipping expenses are personal.

your other expenses shouldnt be high risk. keep an eye on the rules for home office deduction - the space has to be ONLY used for work - this is a judgment call. for those that track and deduct mileage, keep current written mileage records.

for those of you treating this as a true business, do yourself a favor and open up a separate bank account and separate paypal account. only take money out for personal use in regular, even dollar transfer transactions so they are easily identifiable so they can be excluded from the analysis. keeo the business and personal stuff explicitly separate and your life will be easier.

I was going to ask if it would be useful if I did a tax thread to lay out some of the things to look out for for flippers when lots of tax questions were flying around last month, but I got busy. go figure, its march and im an accountant. I hope my contribution above is helpful.

in the end it all depends on the auditor. ive dealt with great people who use common sense, and ive dealt with assholes who stick to the letter of the law (or noobs...even worse, trying to prove something). if you get an audit, DO NOT TRY TO REPRESENT YOURSELF. you WILL get taken advantage of, or say something dumb that hurts you. get a cpa or tax attorney before you do anything.

6 people like this.
  5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

That's a great concept. Thanks for the advice.

Did you miss the part where I asked if anyone had "an answer which has been vetted with an accountant or the IRS?"

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Thank you very much for the help.

7. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

First sale and am trying my best to streamline my shipping through ebay. Three quick questions:

1.) Is the label supposed to print this small? I used the "open the label window" feature, still printed this small (small flat rate box for size reference)
    [​IMG]

2.) I taped over the shipping label, including the bar code. Figured I didn't want it to get wet...I then noticed it said not to tape over the bar code. Will this cause an issue?
    3.) Can I just walk into the post office and drop this through one of the slots? Have e-mail confirmation from e-bay of the transaction.

Thanks!

8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

1. yes
    2. unless if it's unreadable then no
    3. just cut in front of everyone and tell the clerk that you've already paid and to say "thank you"

4. you're doing fine

1 person likes this.
  9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I tape over the barcode in clear packing tape every time. I've got this fealing that the scanner reads it better when it's glossy, but that could be complete bullshit.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I think you are on to something...naa

--
    It is, especially since they ask you NOT to tape over them.

1 person likes this.
  11. sn0wman

sn0wman Senior member

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I don't know. It's never caused a problem.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I had a buyer insist that he never got a message from Ebay stating that he had won the auction. He also denied receiving two separate invoices. He left neutral feedback because I opened a non-paying case against him after a week. There are just a ton of ASSHATS on Ebay these days...

I currently have two items that have gone unpaid since Sunday. After the experience with asshat noted above, this week I've sent four invoices. I also sent a nice note this morning requesting payment. That got one person to pay... Now if only the other two would step up to the plate!!!

14. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

I put priority mail boxes and envelopes in the mail slots with no problems. The ones that will fit anyway.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Shoot, I've taped over at least 500 barcodes in the past few months. Only one package was rejected, and that was because I hadn't put enough postage on it.

16. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Not that I would believe this guy, especially if you sent the additional invoices, but I would also wouldn't trust ebay's systems, as well. I had an instance where I never received a notification of an item being purchased. I only knew because I received the PayPal email for the payment received. The item disappeared from my store but never showed up in my sold items.

17. McPryon

McPryon Well-Known Member

And in the USPS commercials they show them clearly taping over the bar code [​IMG]

18. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Yea I have had to tape over a few in my time as well, with no problems. But I was just stating what they request, whether it works or not. I've been using labels for the longest time now, and I will never go back to paper & tape.

19. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

2 people like this.