1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Well, I still think this message is hilarious, but this guy has been the best buyer I've transacted with in five years of selling things. He's now a solid repeat buyer and has left glowing feedback and a warm email to me. (wes I sent him your way, figured a college student needs all the help he can get)

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Zegna

1 person likes this.
  3. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I would hook someone up like that in a heartbeat.

4. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

It's been mentioned in this thread before, but I forgot to write down so I'm asking again: when is the best time to call ebay? I received my first negative and I'm almost certain the buyer is lying/missing something or the Paypal system is at fault. Thanks in advance.

5. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Anytime since they have a "Call me" feature. Just hit the button and the next available rep will call ya.

6. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I got that, but I vaguely remember there being talk about calling at certain times to talk with reps stateside or international and which were generally better. I could be wrong though.

7. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

I found late afternoon like 3-4:00 to be the best.

8. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I've mentioned this before, but about 5% of the time, USPS Priority Mail domestic can be unreliable with providing tracking information. I.E. Packages enter the physical mailstream, but don't get entered into the computer system until days later.

This happened to me about two months ago. I thought they had gone missing. See here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...ricks-problems-questions/1650_50#post_5993445

And then just the other day, a package was checked in first the first time several HUNDRED MILES from the origin post office that I dropped it off at.

This is a major gap in the USPS system for consumers. If a package doesn't get entered into the computer, and then gets truly misplaced along the way, you're screwed.

@hkfan and I nearly had a heart attack until today, when it finally showed up

I'm considering requiring Fedex for all my packages now, but don't think people will want to pay the hefty fees.

The two choices are basically: 1). Govt-subsidized priority mail, which can have shitty tracking and poor customer service (relative to private carriers); or 2). More expensive private carriers like Fedex

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  9. DanM

DanM Senior member

^i have thoughts on the subject, but don't want to jinx myself. :)

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Supersition doesnt exist :D

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Mannequin Skywalker in the hizzouseee!!!

[​IMG]

This is all with just natural light. I could have had better lighting if I had taken pictures a few hours earlier. I think this should do nicely!

1 person likes this.
  12. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

Looks nice. Natural light is very good. Unfortunately you only have a short window (no pun intended) of time to take pictures.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah the dining room and living room have good light in the afternoon, but the walls aren't good and there's a pane a few feet up that separates the wall into two different colors. That's probably going to be distracting coupled with the cracks in the paint.

I might try that if I absolutely need to, but this should work fine even though I'll need to be up earlier I'd like to take advantage of the light.

The surface the mannequin is on should also work for shoes and ties since the background isn't distracting.

Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  14. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

I have a small favour to ask, I changed a bunch of stuff around in Garagesale yesterday and am worried I may have screwed up my US and int'l buyers' ability to purchase things from me, as I got an odd eBay message this morning from a woman in Georgia, saying she couldn't purchase from me because of her address. Would a US buyer mind helping me test a couple of things? PM if you would, and thanks!

15. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Are there any under appreciated shirt-makers on eBay that are worth keeping an eye on? I'm thinking like Ede & Ravenscroft, for instance; they don't show up often, so people don't know to look.

16. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

odd thing happened. sent out a package (tie) to a paypal verified address (printed via USPS.com, scheduled pickup, etc.).

this saturday it arrived back at my doorstep. no "return to sender" stamp. reached out to buyer to confirm address and he said what i had was correct. i guess ill resend but it was strange that i received no notification from USPS other than the initial package pickup email.

17. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

This has happened to me when I sent out a straight priority package in a flat rate box, or vice versa.

18. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I see a lot of Kuhlman shirts in MN and they always trick me into thinking it's a better known (read: more profitable) shirt. Modern looking, but not skeet level. Have never tried one on, but they seem well-made from the few once-overs I've given them. Can be had on eBay for $10 or so if you keep an eye out.

Edit: after perusing eBay listings, I guess they can stray very close to skeet territory, but their plain, spread collar shirts seem nice enough for the price.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  19. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

Surprisingly that's not it. Label says flat rate as does label. I'll try again lol

20. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I need some advice: I found a seller on ebay that had 2 binobo sweaters of the same brand and size, but in different colors. I placed an offer on one of the sweaters, with "I want both of the sweaters shipped for $X" in the terms field. The seller accepted. I messaged the seller to ensure that he understood the terms and didn't just accept the bid assuming it was the one piece. He responded indicating that he didn't know what I was talking about.

I decided to be nice and give him the out of cancelling my bid if he didn't want to do the deal, but he is not responding to any of my messages and won't cancel the request. I now have an unpaid case open against me. Do I pay, then do an "item not received" when he does not send both sweaters? I don't want to be an ass, but he won't respond or cancel the bid.