• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good resource for dating vintage Starter jackets? Specifically NBA ones...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To piggyback on this, I had a eBayer send me this with his OBO and I quote specifically:

"Hanging threads, well worn second soles, loose upper on outside left toe, worn tassles, cut in the left front. This shoe is heavily worn with possibly little life. Auctions can go for $80 shipped like new condition."

Immediately Declined Offer, and Sent "Best of luck to you on eBay" and blocked him...not worth my troubles

And the description of the condition is so off its not even funny.

Good on you! I've had the same - offers on an item that the potential buyer then rips apart to the point I'm like "then why do you even want it?!" Majority of folks are upright but a few try to finagle a better price any way they can. Be careful out there.

Is it just me, or is there a surplus of super-lowballers on Ebay lately?

Is it the Holidays? Is it just that I have a lot more NWT items listed so I'm noticing it more?

I have a sweater listed at $168 OBO. Dude offers $34.99 and gets offended when I counter with $139.99. WTF is this all about? I understand bargain hunting, but predatory "It's all about me" bargain hunting is ridiculous.

Had a few myself, last one was, quote: "Brioni 50 shipping free??" - I commended him on his pitiful attempt to wrest a new Brioni tie from me at less than half the listed price, and just replied with "Brioni 50 no".

Just set auto decline on offers, I have items with 10-15 offers and only one or two actually got to me.

If you have repeat buyers a lot that get declined it might be an issue but in general it works well for me. Usually set minimum a little less than I want to sell and then go from there

This is for those instances when someone messages you re: "ask seller a question" and makes an offer on something that does not have an OBO option - they just throw out an offer and see if you bite. I have bitten a couple of times - added the OBO and set it to auto-accept their offer and auto-decline anything lower, then removed it after 48 hours if they did not go through with it.

juven

Reaction score
Help me save my Kiton! I've saved a lot of ties by just hanging them (a few for many, many months). The crease here is quite hard. Hang? Try to use *gasp* and iron? TieCrafters?
TieCrafters for sure.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help me save my Kiton! I've saved a lot of ties by just hanging them (a few for many, many months). The crease here is quite hard. Hang? Try to use *gasp* and iron? TieCrafters?

TieCrafters for sure.
Lots of steam and very little pressure, put a single layer of cotton in between iron and tie? I just listed 50 ties and had to resuscitate a few of them. Even managed to get a few stains out of a couple. Only had to toss 2, both Ferragamo. That is so far... have about 30 more to go, can't believe I let them stack up like that.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's up with the search engine on this thread, but I'm using a workaround.

Use this syntax for google: searchtermX site:http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/buying-and-selling-on-ebay-tips-tricks-problems-questions

This will give you tons of result. But then you have to do subsequent searches because there isn't a way to go to a specific post. You get to the page, and can search the page, or add delimiters to google. I can find stuff again.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what's up with the search engine on this thread, but I'm using a workaround.

Use this syntax for google: searchtermX site:http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/buying-and-selling-on-ebay-tips-tricks-problems-questions

This will give you tons of result. But then you have to do subsequent searches because there isn't a way to go to a specific post. You get to the page, and can search the page, or add delimiters to google. I can find stuff again.
Umm.. I didn't quite get that....

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Replace the 'x' with what you want to search for. It uses google search through SF instead of SF's POS search engine.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA. I think this is a pretty good deal. Not entirely sure though. Thinking about pulling the trigger, so someone please stop me if I am making a mistake. I've just about worn out my D40.
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-nikond3200-244mp-cmos-digital-slr-camera-18mm55mm-vr-lens

Basically same price as eBay for the same (Mfr Refurb), though on eBay you'd get eBay bucks (which is only 2%, so, eight bucks). Seems like a decent enough deal and the Groupon item might have a few additional accessories vs. eBay.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically same price as eBay for the same (Mfr Refurb), though on eBay you'd get eBay bucks (which is only 2%, so, eight bucks). Seems like a decent enough deal and the Groupon item might have a few additional accessories vs. eBay.
I've still yet to enroll in the eBay bucks...
peepwall[1].gif
is it worth it at end of each calendar year?

gerbilunit

Reaction score

any disadvantages to signing up for this? looks to be free according to their FAQ

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry. I often use google to search a specific site for content that I saw on that site but is hard to find using their own search engine.

an example would be to search for >>>> White Boxes site:uline.com <<<<<<<

Takes me to here: http://www.uline.com/BL_425/White-Corrugated-Boxes

Last night after wasting a half hour searching this thread for some packing info, I thought I might try to append the thread name to the address and hence, use google to search the forum and avoid the grief of the site tool.

I just did a search on >>>>>> blocked site:http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/buying-and-selling-on-ebay-tips-tricks-problems-questions <<<<<, and I got 46 results going back to 2012.

decent work around for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads