1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They are right - as you can search by title and description, those keywords come up in searches, and is keyword spamming.

1 person likes this.
  2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

... if that's the case then I've to revise EVERY single of my listings?

Is there a way to do this?

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Lol that sucks. Lots of clicks...[​IMG]

4. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

5. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

I would. If you're handy with an Iron you could do it yourself, especially on flannel where you're not worried about putting a shine on it.

Shylock.... that's vaguely anti-semitic.

Remember, relists count as listings, you can blow through those really quick.

6. DanM

DanM Senior member

This week has really made me reconsider selling on ebay. No returns fortunately (knock on wood) but tons of questions, some of them pretty inane. All of my auctions state payment through Paypal only, and that's how I responded to a request from a potential buyer that asked my stance on money orders. I declined, as I'm unfamiliar in the logistics in making sure I get paid and he gets the product, then received this:

Dear *************,

this money order has nothing to do with Ebay, it's a UNITED STATES POST OFFICE money order which can be cash at any UNITED STAES POST OFFICE or your own bank.
    I use the U.S. postal system because it's a federal offense to forge or cash a check which does not belong to anyone unless they can proved that the check is their's so that I don't lose and you don't lose.
    So my bid is for $**.**

And then immediately received a bid from said user on the item. My question: he's basically strong-arming me into accepting a non-preferred form of payment. Whats the best way to proceed? It isn't a high dollar item, but I'm not pleased with how this transaction is taking shape.

7. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

hey how would you guys describe this style of zip up sweatshirt? its todd snyder, wool.

[​IMG]

8. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Why not keep?
    Would make for a good fit for u

9. TJhambone09

TJhambone09 Senior member

Cancel his bid and block him.

1 person likes this.
  10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

*Ibid

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

If you don't want to accept M.O.'s: I'd set my selling preferences to block anyone who does not have a Paypal account (though they may have an account just so they can bid, and then pay with a M.O. or e-check)...then cancel their bid, then block them as was mentioned earlier.

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Real talks on the way**

I'm heavily contemplating purchasing an ebay store, and possibly trialing a year of full time (i'm a student).

I've only started selling maybe a month and a half ago (first sale was Jan 19, and have averaged somewhere near $8xx, with very minimal work and with moderate guidance as I am quite new. I have a bit to learn, but it's really become a favourable past time/ hobby for me. If I purchase a store now, I was planning on trying to list 15-20x what I put out now, with the attempt to generate a moderate income while working / part(possibly full time).

Does anyone have some experience in jumping straight in without looking back, as that is what i'm thinking right now (with a bit of hesitance and precaution mind you)

Thanks everyone.

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Do you have a back-up? What if eBay shuts you down for whatever reason? Will you be able to pay your bills with just a part-time job? Can you secure a full-job relatively fast?

There's risks, and then there's calculated risks. I quit my job when this started to outpace the amount of money I made at a job. But I also have immediate access to that job should I need to go back. I also have a significant other who makes more than I do who can cover the bills if I should fail. It would be absolutely stupid to take a plunge and putting yourself in irreparable financial damage if you're doing fine right now.

14. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

I'll do a quick breakdown to make it easier to follow.

Student- 19- second year-

Live at home - Debt = credit card/ family/ School tuition - roughly 15k atm

Financial situation - I work part time atm - can pick up shifts at any point nessecary ( very relaxed workplace with extremely flexible hours)

I don't currently hold any bills that I need to pay consistently other than metropass (no car atm- will work on it if things work out) - and phone bill.

I honestly have it set out pretty well at this point but I think starting earlier rather than after getting a degree can put me ahead, and I can potentially always go back to school to graduate.

EDIT: I understand this may be taken as a "lead me through life", but its more of a personal go to question as I know many of you guys have been stuck in scenarios that I may be in, and would love to have some feedback or suggestions from others.

15. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Going back to school is a lot harder then just going back. Finish college, fool.

4 people like this.
  16. CashmereHunter

CashmereHunter Member

Contact Ebay. Let them know about the situation.

17. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

This

Your tuition isn't too bad
    Just complete

18. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

I have no percentages to support my statement, but never take a break to make some money because odds are you will not go back later. Complete your degree and be sure it is in a field that you want to spend the rest of your life in. I'll bird walk for a moment, do some serious research into the sub-categories of whatever field you are looking into. Let me give you a prime, and easy example, atleast from my world. I originally went to school to be a social studies teacher because I loved studying history. Little did I know that the social studies certification field is a dime a dozen, however, ESL (English as a second language) teachers can name their price. To get a job I had to go back for Literacy and Special Education and at this point I am a district level administrator and have never once taught social studies. High school guidance counselors, in general, do not do their due diligence probing further into your preferred field to set you up for true success. I also severely regret never participating in a trade program, many of these programs end up certifying you and setting you up for a well paying job. Bird walk aside, you're 19, it's not too late to make changes, decide what area you want to be in, study that area so you understand all of your options and their marketabilities, and don't look back or slow down. You can ebay as a hobby on the side. I ran a small ebay business while in college and made enough off $3 bracelets to take my gf and I to England/France for 2 weeks.

edit: Assuming you're in the US, there are some helpful tuition repayment tools at this point, IBR, ICR, and actually public loan forgiveness programs depending on your field.

19. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Wanted to take a quick moment and say thank you to all the people in this thread (and the less frequented packaging thread) who shared their shipping and handles practices that they have honed over time. Brian, Spoo, Snoogz, Wes, ATLnoob, GMMcl, to only list a handful. The poly bag sizes, specific USPS boxes, packing .gifs, links to ebay stores for packaging labels, and more were all incredibly informative and helpful. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

In Canada, very valid points to explore the further fields of my major. But i've impusively chosen my major on the whim of a single counsellors suggestion (exactly what you said), but i've invested into a field that does not interest me that much, nor does it stimulate any type of happiness knowing i'll graduate with it. At this point, the sake of graduating is for the satisfaction of others.

I understand the point that taking a year off changes how I will see school, and the income and leisure time will make me stray from continuing school again, but i'm just trying to figure out the pros and cons at the moment. Thank you everyone with input, its nice to have both constructive and strong willed opinions to sway both sides for me!