Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

When I first started selling, I would take pictures of the things I was selling on my 35mm camera, get the film developed at the drug store, take the pictures home, scan them, and then upload them to the auctions.

My god.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I was doing the same thing, except I didn't have a computer. I had to do my listings at the library. lol. So glad that's not the way anymore.

Ironically, the first item I ever sold on eBay was a digital camera. I never said I was the smartest seller on the planet.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

3. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

I was thrifting outside of Boston over Thanksgiving when visiting my folks and found a sport coat with a NYC thrift tag on it.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I can see it now. I whole new listing category....NWLST

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I had some $100 drop-cards made up for a starving artist friend of mine - she got a shit-ton of hits not long thereafter - I dropped them in 3 major cities and points between. (PR)

Hah! I spent $800 (I said eight hundred dollars son) on a large-platen HP scanner in the 90's when I was selling vinyl and STILL had to cut & paste the top & bottom halves together because it would only scan legal-size. Them was days.

...and I think I owned one of the first digital cameras ever - a Kodak - stored "up to" 16 pictures but more realistically it was 8 pictures at "higher resolution", which were grainy and pretty crappy. No removable memory, connected with a bulky serial cable via the printer port. And then I copied them to my Iomega Zip Drive, you know, because they were precious memories and all.

Used to be an early adopter but with Moore's Law in overdrive there's no sense in it any longer.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im only listening if you give me your Prodigy usernames.

7. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Maxim Reality?

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oh, man, I totally forgot about Prodigy. We had that in the early-mid 90's

9. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Prodigy and AOL user name: RockClmbr19** [​IMG]

I started selling Baseball cards in 1999 and used to scan them in so didn't need any pictures. I got bored quickly and let my account languish for the next 10 years. Here I am 14 years later with 133 feedbacks... Should have stuck to the rock climbing.

10. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

New to the whole shipping thing, but should I just write all the to and from information right onto the box? Go to the post office and pick up actual forms? What's the best and easiest way for me to just go to the post office, ask for it to get shipped without any time spent the? Thanks for the help

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Purchase your postage online (at a discounted rate), print your label at home, attach to package. Drop of at the post office and walk away, or have them pick it up at your house for free.

12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Insane. I thought I had to go through the lady at the counter! How would I go about doing this? Through PayPal's, "print shipping label" button?

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Print the postage from ebay or Paypal. Some of these young whippersnappers print on labels but I use regular paper and tape it on. A big bonus of this is not having to stand in line at the Post Office. Mine lets me go to a door, ring the bell, and hand over the prepaid parcels. I skipped a line with over 10 people in it today.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yep, or ebay. And if it's shipped priority, you can schedule the postman to pick it up on USPS.com. I ship 60-70 packages a week and I haven't seen the inside of the post office in at least 2 months.

15. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

So...been looking at some of auctions that you guys are doing...specifically shoes....why do some of you guys not remove the pricing on the bottoms of them?

I saw several of them that look like some Goo Gone, maybe a simple eraser. Try a Mr. Clean eraser as well...it really only takes a couple minutes :hide: