Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

On the subject of ties, I recently sold some nwt vineyard vines ties. Put them in a tie gift box, and then shoved that into a USPS tyvek. Worked well but those stupid tie boxes were a bit pricey. Probably wouldn't go to that trouble on something used.
    I just received 2 Turnbull & Asser ties I won, and they were each rolled into a sandwich sized plastic bag, then placed in a small but adequate paper envelope. Efficient, if not the nicest looking/best protected method. The ties were fine.

Wes, thanks for confirming that I should call eBay. Ended up speaking with someone from the int. shipping program and they got things all squared away. Refunded, and now in the cancellation process before setting up a new BIN for the buyer to win with the shipping he prefers.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

Wow, incredibly useful thread for a might-be eBay trader. I have never ever used eBay, but will see about giving it a whirl. Might take me some time before I have analysed all posts in this thread though.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Taking the time to read this entire thread is invaluable.

4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Ebay rant... I accidentally added the wrong tracking number to a sold item. I couldn't remove the tracking number through the website. Removed it via the iPhone app. Still couldn't print shipping label for it through Ebay. I created the label through PayPal and had to pay an extra $1. Then I scanned the tracking number with my phone to add it to the sale. WTF Ebay? Why do I have to jump through hoops to correct a mistake?

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Easy fix.

Next time, don't worry about trying to remove it. Select "print another label" form the drop down menu associated with the item. When you print the label, it will add the new tracking number.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

very smart and efficient. Curious as to how the wrong # was added, was it not printed via eBay?

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I had just printed a label. Then a near identical item sold. I thought the app wasn't updating the info, so I scanned the first label for the second item. I'm sure glad I caught it though. And I'm also glad I happened to be at the bike shop packaging the bike because it was one of the items I'm selling for them and it saved another trip down there!

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This has resulted in almost $500 of extra sales since Monday morning. Pretty happy with that.

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I'm diggin the "branching out of the norm" to try different techniques. I recently started up with some auctions to add to my BIN/OBO listings, and had the biggest sales week thus far last week. Looking to see what I can do to sustain the trend throughout the holiday season.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I was only doing it for Cyber week. Not planning on making it a weekly thing, or else buyers would wait until I relisted at the discounted price, rather than bidding.

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

The Uline bags look ideal for my planned use, as they have the larger sizes and I like the seal flap. But, the Wawak bags are cheaper, bigger, albeit a bit thinner (appear to be like dry cleaning bags), so might go that route. Thanks for all the tips folks - I think we've got the bag subject...in the bag!

12. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I will check next one I do.

13. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

No its great, because you don't have the downtime from Sunday to thursday. The item can stay listed the whole time.

14. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Bought something on eBay from a seller in Canada. This came in the mail - must be some sort of record for most stamps on a single envelope, and makes me want to take up philately again as I'd have a jump-start on modern Canadian stamps. Amused.

[​IMG]

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

OK, Mac brethren who use iPhoto to organize and edit photos. I'm not an experienced photographer and have labored to try to get decent photos with accurate color. based on my ebay shopping, others have the same problem, but choose to let it slide.....Ever seen a description that said "Color is like the 7th photo" meaning to me that all the others were wrong.

The other issue is that I don't use a flash and use a top light, so I often struggle to get the top versus bottom exposure to look right.

After a couple months of doing this, I've figured out some things about iPhoto. I KNOW MOST PREFER TO DO NO EDITING ON PHOTOs because it sucks up time. If you're interested, I have put together some screen shots to show how to fix common problems. And if you already know a better way to accomplish the same thing, send it my way. If everyone knew this but me, I apologize. BTW, these are all RAW images because that's the format that's easiest to fix.

Here are 2 photos of the same shirt. I shot the one on the left at 2-3 exposures darker than I usual and as a result, its not clear which one to go by.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok. Color is right, but now you've got to fix the exposure. If you use the exposure tool, it will wash out the whole photo and you'll lose the detail you need
    [​IMG]

Use the shadow tool!
    [​IMG]

Now, Onto fixing the 2nd photo. But how, there's no white to click on to change the white balance.
    [​IMG]

Go back to the other photo and check the temp and tint settings

[​IMG]

And use the slider to get to approximately the same numbers.

[​IMG]

You're done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013