• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok not sure what the heck is going on here, seems scammy...

So a few days ago I mentioned shipping to Canada. You guys were a great help walking me through what needed to be done to change the invoice, and I thank you for that. I messaged my buyer and told him where to go on his page/what to click on to ask me for a revision to the invoice. He replies with:
Maybe we have a language barrier thing going on, I don't know. Later in the evening, I receive this message from him.
The thing is, he didn't send the $140.87 amount according to paypal, he sent me a total of $97.25. I'm assuming the other amount he paid was the total including import duties/tariffs/shipping? That's all I can make of it since I didn't see that amount in any facet of our transactions. Should I report it to ebay and ask them how to proceed? I see why you guys have opted out of the international shipping program now. Good call.
Call ebay.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ATL, use the tyvek USPS shipping bags that are free. I use those or a plastic garbage bag wrapped neatly before having them enter a box. I suppose u could pay for Poly bags and use those, but that's added expense. I only use poly bags for first class shipments.
I package everything in a clear poly bag. I have 9x12, 12x15, and 18x24. I then package into a USPS box. If it is a shirt or a thinner sweater going to the west coast, I take the shirt (folded as you would buy from the store) and fold it in half and put in a USPS padded envelope. on the east coast, its always the flat style RRA box. I shipped a leather car coat yesterday in a RRB box and I think that it was only the 2nd time I used a B, the other being a wool topcoat.

The presentation is actually pretty good. big coat, 18x24 clear poly bag, RRB box.

Ties, I'm shipping 1st class but pay the extra for insurance so runs about $3.75. Following Brian's guide, I wrap in tissue paper, put in a poly bag, slip that into a small flat box designed for VHS and ship.

When I'm out of boxes, I bubble wrap and send in 9x12 manilla envelope, taped shut.

Always looking for cheaper solutions if you have any.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also already do use the Tyvek USPS bags if I am shipping, say, a sweater that is too big for a padded mailer so it goes Region Rate A. I'm looking for something bigger for sport coats, suits and outerwear (winter coats)...I don't want to try and cram them into the Tyvek mailer - most simply will not fit. I appreciate your replies and suggestions but I know what I am looking for and what I wish to use it for...just need a good source, which was the original question. I'm willing to pay the extra 10 or 15 cents or whatnot when bought in bulk, for larger plastic bags I can use for larger items.

I like this idea...unless I were to get hit with a lost/damaged item right out of the gate and I was self-insuring...though I suppose it would be made up eventually since it hasn't happened to me in years, and I'd eventually be back in the black.

I'm Power Seller and Top Rated Plus, and my items are typically featured near the top of the heap when initially searching ("best match"), and I've seen my stuff top of page 1 in Google shopping search results...which does not necessarily translate to markedly higher sales, since you still have to have a good product at a good price. eBay makes comparison shopping a snap on their site, so useful keywords, filling in all the info boxes/options, good pictures and description/measurements, and a competitive price will make the sale. I'm only happy to be Top Rated for the final value fee discounts; don't think it has much, if any, effect on my own sales. I sell more than I used to, for higher dollar amounts, but I also list more items that are higher-priced than I used to.
Wes recommended uline. http://www.uline.com/BL_217/Resealable-Bags?keywords=1.5 Mil Poly Bags

I bought the 18x24, the 9x12 and the 12 x 15. There are cheaper sources, but these showed up within 2 days..

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt that anyone pays too much attention to that. Paypal protects buyers. There is an idiot factor on ebay of about 1 to 2%, so keep your feedback above 98% and don't worry about it.

I think it depends. My familys first generation Asian who moved here from Korea. I mean my entire family 50+ people. They all used eBay at one point (I helped them all set it up, god damn) and the cared very much about feedback score, and percentages. I think it just depends on the individuals understanding.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use for shipping shoes? Is a bag ok? I always used a box but I don't have enough shoe boxes and Im stuck using a medium flat rate box which is more expensive than regular priority in many cases. Also longer shoes don't fit in those and need a large flat rate box, and that's way too much $.
Having bought shoes from Wes, they are well packed and in bubble wrap.

I use the Priority Mail shoe box that he feels is too flimsy. I use movers packing paper and ball up one piece in the bottom, I roll each shoe in its own piece and 69 them into the box, and top it with another piece of paper.

Following TXwoodworker maniacally neat staging, i've started packing the shoes as soon as they're photo'd and measured. I weigh the box, note the weight and other identifiers where the label will eventually go and then line them up on a shelf. Much easier to deal with.

While I don't package everything in shipping, after i'm ready to list a jacket, sweater, shirt or whatever, I fold it and stick it in the clear poly bag.

The hardest part for me to keep straight is once I actually print a stack of labels, is which label goes on which item because the label doesn't print any identifier that was used for the item or ebay ID. I'm sure you guys have a system for that.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just shipped a blazer (first timer). used the poly bag and a priority mail box. came to just under $13 total.

that said, i felt like i was STUFFING the coat into the bag and that freaks me out a bit.

Lirum

Reaction score
i just shipped a blazer (first timer). used the poly bag and a priority mail box. came to just under $13 total.

that said, i felt like i was STUFFING the coat into the bag and that freaks me out a bit.

Use Regional Rate A boxes. Unless it's a (heavyish) tweed, you shouldn't have to stuff. It's also cheaper; I average about $6 per RRA package.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wes recommended uline. http://www.uline.com/BL_217/Resealable-Bags?keywords=1.5 Mil Poly Bags

I bought the 18x24, the 9x12 and the 12 x 15. There are cheaper sources, but these showed up within 2 days..
@ATLnoob ,

Someone had posted a good review of corijennin and they are indeed cheaper than uline and have good pub on the forum.

"1000 9 x 12" 1.5M bags with 2in fold over flap and seal. $45 delivered from corijennin and $74 from uline. Uline had $14 shipping so it was right at $60 and corijennin included the shipping. and Corijennin was cheaper than the other ebay options mentioned if I found the right one."

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Use Regional Rate A boxes. Unless it's a (heavyish) tweed, you shouldn't have to stuff. It's also cheaper; I average about $6 per RRA package.

how can i tell the difference? i just picked up a priority mail medium box. i only saw those...

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how can i tell the difference? i just picked up a priority mail medium box. i only saw those...

You can only order them online from USPS's website. They're free, and take about a week to arrive. Make sure you get the sideloading Regional rate A box (forget whether it's A1 or A2). Made this mistake the first time I ordered.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correction on this....

Apparently normal sellers get $50 Free insurance for Priority and $100 for Priority Express.

Top Rated Sellers (and Platinum and Higher Powersellers) get $100 Free insurance for any Priority shipping option.

Good to know.

LINK
wow that is fantastic news. Where was the discrepancy generated from in the past ( in regards to only having "priority" equating to a total of 50$)? If I recall I think Brian gave us a rundown on an encounter he had in the past? Would love validation on that.

Have to order them via USPS website. They usually are not carried by your local Post Office.
...I bet big sellers order these on a weekly basis lol...can't wait for that demand
thumbs-up.gif

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can only order them online from USPS's website. They're free, and take about a week to arrive. Make sure you get the sideloading Regional rate A box (forget whether it's A1 or A2). Made this mistake the first time I ordered.

looks like A2?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wow that is fantastic news. Where was the discrepancy generated from in the past ( in regards to only having "priority" equating to a total of 50$)? If I recall I think Brian gave us a rundown on an encounter he had in the past? Would love validation on that.
I ran across it on the USPS site.

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

It does not take into consideration the special deal they have with ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads