Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I was under the same impression, until I got my last shipment of Reg Rate B's and they said "For Domestic and International Use" I don't see special pricing for international so I assume that they are just giving you the box and you go by weight.

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I will jump in here and say you can never tell.

I had a jacket recently posted for 2 10 day periods with a low starting bid (3x my investment plus fees plus shipping). No bids, even though the price was right.

I then changed it to a fixed price listing, removed shipping and charged it separately, the total being a couple bucks higher than my previous starting point.

Sold in 2 days.

Sometimes, that low "show me" price gets people to bid where there might not otherwise.

3. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Returned suit to seller because he shipped out wrong, USPS says it was delivered 3 days ago...sent him a message 2 days ago, haven't heard a thing from him yet. 3 Days 'til the dispute window closes, what would you do? Send him another message, or fire up a dispute right away to get things rolling?

(fwiw he's a big-ish seller on Ebay with good feedback.)

4. concealed

concealed Senior member

i would start the dispute... theres no negative impact to the seller...

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

On this topic, I've found that even if I can ship 1st class international with tracking, but the time I add insurance, its a couple bucks less than a priority mail flat rate service.

Dunno if international 1st Class includes any insurance, but I have always bought the ship cover from ebay on 1st class.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Silly question.....How? As far as I know, 1st Class International packages are un-insurable.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Very likely that you are right.

I just did some ties this morning and the ebay shipping manager gives you the option of adding insurance to 1st class, but that's domestic. I haven't done an international using 1st class recently enough to remember if that was an option. If you say not, then it just confirms that going intl at anything lower than Priority won't work.

I was just remembering pricing out an international shipment that was under 4 lbs, the buyer wanted 1st class to save money and I remember that once I compared the 2 services, the Priority was going to be around $53 and the 1st class was up to $48 or so. IIRC, the basic shipping came out to $33 ish but with add-ons, $48.

But then again, this was 3 weeks ago and they all start to run together.

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I ended my week with my biggest sales week to date, also most items sold in a weeks time.

So far cyber Monday has shown some interest with some bids on items that have no seen any interest in the last few weeks. I love getting rid of leftovers

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

is it generally better to fix/mend an item before selling it, or just sell it as-is?

I have a leather jacket I think I originally paid $2-300 and the lining is coming apart at the sleeve seam. It's not an in-demand brand so I have no idea what I'd get for it.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I asked a similar question, and I think the answer is it depends on the quality and recognition of the brand to begin with. I had a recent, NWOT Oxxford suit with a tiny hole in one of the tails. I put it up for a starting price of 99, and a BIN of 300. It sold for it's starting bid within a week. but if it was, say, a Boss suit, I doubt it would have moved, and I would have had to decide if it was worth it to me to pay to get it fixed and try to profit off of it then. Bottom line, if it's a 300 jacket to start, and not a highly recognized brand, you probably aren't going to make much, f anything off of it in it's current condition.

11. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Question about how you title your ties. Do you add things such as Self-Keeper, Self Tipped, etc to your title? Do you find these desirable key words?

12. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Thanks, that's what I figured. If I can get it fixed for $10 or under, I'll throw it up for a starting price of $9.99 and see what happens. If not, I'll throw it up for $0.99. As long as I don't lose money on the deal, I'll be happy. Hopefully since the problem is with the lining, not the shell, more people may overlook the repair.

13. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Ok, previously mentioned Canadian buyer won the shirt. I told him I was using the int. shipping program and that I was pretty sure that was that since the auction had ended. He says he contacted ebay and that it's still possible for me to change the shipping info/price on the invoice. When I click send invoice, it says " The item(s) will ship using the Global Shipping Program. As part of the program, buyer directly pays international shipping and import charges to the third-party shipping provider. The buyer will still be able to complete checkout even if you don't send an invoice."

Is there somewhere else I can access/edit an invoice in this case?

14. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I'm dealing with something similar. I talked with eBay and they said that the buyer has to go to their purchase page and under 'more options' on the right hand side of the auction listing, click 'request a price' or something like that. I haven't had my Canadian buyer get back to me yet to see if he's tried it but that's what the eBay rep said. Supposedly, once they do that, you'll have access to change the invoice.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just sold a $5000 bicycle to someone in Las Vegas. Wish me luck on the shipping!