• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Connorh

Reaction score
Do you guys like to remind buyers to leave feedback if they are happy with their purchase? I've sold a lot of items, and then never hear from the buyer again.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't bother. Ebay will also send them reminders to do so after a while. I know my dad sends a message when he ships a package saying thanks for the purchase and to please leave feedback when they receive it if they're happy. He does have a higher percentage of feedback returned than I do, so it must have at least some effect.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback first. Want to make sure they're happy with everything. The other day, I went through and left feedback for about 30 listings that were more than 2 weeks old. I ended up getting about 3 of those people to leave feedback within a day or two.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly right. As I mentioned before, I recently set up a new ebay account and a new Paypal account to keep some personal dealings apart from my business accounts. I had forgotten that ebay has these dumbass rules for newbs.
I don't think that stuff existed when I started selling.....or maybe I was just a dumbass newb and didn't realize it.
biggrin.gif

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys like to remind buyers to leave feedback if they are happy with their purchase? I've sold a lot of items, and then never hear from the buyer again.

I don't bother. Ebay will also send them reminders to do so after a while. I know my dad sends a message when he ships a package saying thanks for the purchase and to please leave feedback when they receive it if they're happy. He does have a higher percentage of feedback returned than I do, so it must have at least some effect.

I always wait for the buyer to leave feedback first. Want to make sure they're happy with everything. The other day, I went through and left feedback for about 30 listings that were more than 2 weeks old. I ended up getting about 3 of those people to leave feedback within a day or two.

I leave positive buyer feedback as soon as they pay - I have no reason not to. I don't remind buyers or ask for feedback in return. I've only had one negative, and was able to leave an explanatory follow-up note, but that was almost a year ago before I knew about feedback revision. I do send a separate message to all paid buyers, thanking them, letting them know what day it will be shipped, and how to find their tracking # on eBay...plus to contact me directly in the event of any questions, issues or problems; to this I might add a blurb re: leaving + feedback.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No harm in rewarding yourself at the 1 week, 1 month, 2 month etc levels either - figure the amount of $ you saved by not smoking all that time and spend half of it on something you want.  Maybe keep track of money saved just for fun - see the $'s add up after a month or two, and perhaps put a percentage of that right into a savings account or increase your 401k contribution (or along those lines - whatever works for you), and you're making money by not smoking.  Reward system works great for most folks - whatever your bent is - making more $ (by spending less $), having some nice shell longwings, saving for the future, new PlayStation...whatever...you know your own carrot best, so set your goals and go for it!

Hmm...I need to start smoking so I can quit and reward myself with something nice! :p

Last edited:

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I leave positive buyer feedback as soon as they pay - I have no reason not to. I don't remind buyers or ask for feedback in return.

This. Otherwise you just end up driving yourself batty. The folks that will leave feedback will leave feedback and those that don't, don't.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's say that the seller leaves positive feedback as soon as the buyer pays and then the buyer opens a case later on for whatever reason. Does the positive feedback that the seller originally left affect the outcome of the case at all?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's say that the seller leaves positive feedback as soon as the buyer pays and then the buyer opens a case later on for whatever reason. Does the positive feedback that the seller originally left affect the outcome of the case at all?
Frankly, I can't since I opened an official store, I can't figure out how to leave negative feedback anyway.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. Otherwise you just end up driving yourself batty. The folks that will leave feedback will leave feedback and those that don't, don't.

Yeah, it annoys me a little that I have 550+ transactions in the last year and less than 400 feedback received. But I'm not going to worry about it! The better your service is, the more likely people are to leave feedback for you, I think.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it annoys me a little that I have 550+ transactions in the last year and less than 400 feedback received. But I'm not going to worry about it! The better your service is, the more likely people are to leave feedback for you, I think.
Actually that sounds like a great conversion rate.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Way better than mine I think. Let me check.

EDIT:
1861 Transactions (12 months) - 1159 Feedback for the year. 62.2%
4293 Transactions (overall) - 2825 Feedback total 65.8%

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm...I need to start smoking so I can quit and reward myself with something nice!
tongue.gif

That is actually a great ratio of feedback to transactions. Anything over 50-60% in my book is great. I would say to keep doing whatever it is you are doing.

Myself: 136 seller feedback out of 233 transactions the last twelve months. I think that's around 58% or so. I don't do anything special or out of the norm with reminders. Great service will drive feedback. I had a buyer return a jacket because my shoulder measurements on a (Canali, go figure Canali jackets have ******* big ass shoulders) jacket were a bit off. After I gave him a full refund + return shipping, he left me positive feedback. I was humbled, especially because of my error.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a seller, the positive feedback I leave for a buyer would have no effect on any case that buyer opened on an item I sold them...so, no.

I know some sellers hold off on leaving feedback in case the buyer is not happy, or the buyer leaves a negative and the seller then thinks they can retaliate by leaving a negative in return.
Or, sellers don't remind buyers to leave feedback after the fact because it may "prompt" a buyer to leave a negative for some reason.

I don't subscribe to either of those notions. +1 what JackFlash said: The folks that will leave feedback will leave feedback and those that don't, don't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads