1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I would say that that is feedback extortion.

2. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

thought so too, but he messaged me again in a better tone so ill give him the benefit of the doubt

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1
    , and I usually will flip them unventeds. Honey badger dont give a shit.

So what was the biggest change in ur structure? And what drove u to do it? Just not wanting to tie up so much money?

1 person likes this.
  4. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I don't doubt that some buyers might use such fine lines to initiate a return, but to state that in all cases where suspicion that a jacket is an orphan should require that the terms sport coat and blazer not be used is a step too far. Where do you draw the line? If you provide measurements, do you also note that merely because a jacket has a pit to pit measurement the same as another jacket that fits, this jacket may not because people aren't cylinders? This is a point that PatrickBooth makes repeatedly in other threads.

I tried to allude to the nuance of the term blazer in my prior post, because it is indeed a nuanced term with different, very knowledgeable people on this forum debating it at length (must it have brass buttons, must it be navy or black, does it differ from a reefer, etc.) Equally, many people contend that an odd jacket must have patch pockets, less than 4 buttons on the cuff, and that every striped jacket is an orphan, etc.

So, as a seller, which definition should I abide by or should I include a long treatise in my listings on these issues? Alternatively, I can look at other successful sellers and imitate their practices, since it seems to work very well for them. Brian has already said what he does, and if you check Spoo's listings you will see that he uses "sport coat jacket blazer" in his titles also, even when a jacket is clearly an orphan (nailhead fabric, tag showing pant waist measurement or drop, etc.)

1 person likes this.
  5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Yeah. This is why I'm annoyed. I had a picture of the jacket with the buttons for a reason. That's usually the give away. He looked at all the pictures and then decided this finally. Am I safe if I just use that in the listing and then in the description only say Jacket? Probably not.

Thing is, ebay loopholes allow people to do this and get away with it. Till ebay gives a shit, they'll keep doing it.

Here's what the buyer responded with:

Quote:
    I don't know why he was surprised. My pictures are accurate. I think it's buyers remorse, but he hasn't misspoken yet. How did he know it was part of a suit when he tried it on? Sounds like it didn't fit. Styling issues? Should have noticed them in the pictures. Finish? I said the fabric had a sheen.

Honestly. Semantics.

I already started the refund upon receipt process though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

Take the return, move on.

1 person likes this.
  7. concealed

concealed Senior member

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Trying to maximize return, not by selling at higher prices, but by selling more. If this is to be my full time 'job', I need to make money every week. Also, right now I do have way too much money tied up in inventory. If I can start getting rid of old stuff, I'll have more money to invest in new stuff. I'm aiming to build an empire, just trying to speed up the process a little.

1 person likes this.
  9. ridethecliche

Your prices can probably creep as you get more sales and have more followers, no?

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I think you can use the terms blazer and sport coat when listing a suit jacket, but you also have to be explicit that it actually is a suit jacket and not originally a blazer or sport coat.

1 person likes this.
  11. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

So I take it u don't have a problem sourcing inventory regularly, rather need to move it out just as fast as it comes in to sustain weekly income.

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

The recent situations that @ridethecliche and @thefastlife have faced have highlighted a few things. First of all, to ridethecliche and thefastlife, I’m sorry to hear about the problems. It’s not fun dealing with things like that.

It should be said that sales are not easy and, in fact, can be stressful. Whether you sell 3 items or 300, it can be difficult from start to finish. Part of this is that ebay isn’t really (anymore, at least) geared towards the small seller getting rid of a few things. This may be a product of ebay’s push for volume sellers and corporate accounts in recent history, or it may simply be due to the wider customer base that ebay now enjoys.

Customers on ebay (or any retail experience, really) have the upperhand in nearly all situations, but especially when it comes to secondhand merchandise. Combine this knowledge with the fact that dealings online offer anonymity and customers are more likely to say/behave in ways that are uncharacteristic of themselves.

Most, and I’d even be willing to say the overwhelming majority, of ebay customers are bargain-hunters. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but you’re going to have a high percentage of people that attempt to aggressively lower prices and have higher expectations for product. In combination with the power given to buyers to publicly rank a seller and you have a powerful customer.

What this means is that sellers MUST be diligent in listing, from start to finish. Photos must be taken of everything, descriptions and measurements must be complete, and return policies must be clear. What part-time seller wants to go through all of this? Again, ebay is not friendly to the small-timer.

Even if a seller goes to the trouble of playing by the rules, there’s still the chance that you can face problems days, weeks or, in rare cases, months after a sale. Large retailers have systems in place to handle these things, most small to medium sellers don’t.

How does this apply to us?

Simple…
    1) You’re at a disadvantage. Know and embrace this fact.
    2) Your customer has little to nothing to lose. They can behave how they like and still get their way.
    3) YOU WILL NEVER WIN AN ARGUMENT WHEN THE BUYER BELIEVES THEY ARE RIGHT

Keep #3 in mind. Attempting to tell them that they should have asked about extra material in pants or that jacket/blazer is only a word will not get them to change their mind and give up.

There are often questions about ebay and new sellers pop up every day. I don’t recommend it for everyone. It can be time consuming, stressful, and disappointing. I’m not suggesting that anyone quit, but I am saying that there are certainly other ways to make a bit of extra money. Do you enjoy clothing and want to boost your buying budget? Maybe it would be better in the long run to find a part-time job at a department store.

Again, I don’t want anyone to think I’m telling them to give up or quit. I’m trying to convey that these problems never go away. As soon as I have a problem resolved, it’s just a matter of waiting for the next. It might be tomorrow or next month, but it will be here and every sale gets me closer to it.

8 people like this.
  13. concealed

concealed Senior member

Newbies need to stop worrying about this, its really not as big of a factor as you think.

Get good product, take pictures, list with reasonable pricing, profit.

4 people like this.
  14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

^^+1000. Spot on Hans.

15. concealed

concealed Senior member

You mean buyer, right?

16. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Thanks, it's not easy money, that's for sure.

Shit, I'll ninja edit. Thanks!

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Exactly... I'm starting to price "run of the mill" things (things I can find almost every time I go out picking) at a certain multiplier of the average price in this area -obviously if I find something substantially cheaper, I will still list it at that price (and grail pieces will still get priced separately)). For new stuff, I'm doing the same thing, just at a different multiplier. We'll see how it works in the long run, but given that I have roughly 400 thrift/discount stores within a fairly easy drive from home I don't see this plan failing me.

I've been getting more and more efficient with my process, so I'm testing the waters to see if I can start listing AND shipping substantially more items on a daily basis.

18. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Very true. I buy a reasonable amount off ebay and can the number of sellers I follow on no fingers.

19. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

I need to cut down time on my picturing process. Especially suits. We will c...

20. ridethecliche

@HansderHund , thanks for that great post.

I flip things because I like picking up good clothes even if they don't fit me because I'm out thrifting for myself anyway. My goal was to be able to fund all clothing purchases for myself using thrifted funds.

Realistically, I have enough work to do at my job that overtime would do the same thing, but I liked the idea of the 'self sufficient' thing. While I do enjoy this, you're right that it might not be the best use of my time. I'll have to give it some thought honestly...

Not going to be too dissuaded by one issue though.