• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have a situation that i need help with, yesterday a buyer who bought 2 thom browne ties from me in japan left me negative feedback saying items were fake, i called ebay they said nothing they can do and try to work with buyer to remove it thru communication , ive been having back and forth with buyer, his claim is there is no tri color grosgrain on tie, mine has gray or white grossgrain, so its fake i tried explaining and offering him to research himslef that alll earlier thom browne ties have this detail not tri color, but to no avail, he wants me to pay him back in full plus shipping and customs costs (he bought thru global shipping) to which i refused , since item is authentic id only reimburse him cost of goods, he says then negative rating will remain, now he just sent me a message wanting to buy a thom browne sweater i listed for 499 obo, for 300 and then he will remove the neg, ( i have another buyer at 380 pending) is this grounds for feedback extortion? can i call ebay and now have his feedback removed? here is the exact message and my response to which he promptly sent me an offer of 370 Dear hibim0305, I have an offer from a South Korean buyer for 380 shipped ill give it to you for 370 shipped Sent from my iPhone On Nov 20, 2013, at 7:50 AM, "eBay Member: hibim0305" > wrote: From: hibim0305 To: theverybest2013 Subject: Re: hibim0305 has sent a question about item #290949243348, that ended on Nov-09-13 16:32:26 PST - NWOT Thom Browne light gray skinny tie Sent Date: Nov-20-13 04:50:17 PST Dear theverybest2013, I want to positive your rating. However, I want you to lower the value of the cardigan that is exhibited now. $ 300. BRAND: Thom Browne SIZE: 3 MATERIAL: 100% Wool COLOR: Blue Red and White CONDITION: Pre owned SHOULDERS: approx 19 " PIT TO PIT: approx 21 " LENGTH: approx 23.5 " SLEEVE LENGTH: approx 24 " - hibim0305

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things I Just Don't Get - ebay version

I recently set up a new ebay account to sell a few personally owned items and keep the money separate from my business. On this new account I am not allowed to require immediate payment on a Buy It Now item. WTF is their reasoning on that? Why allow a potential buyer to tie up an item without paying for it?

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

have a situation that i need help with, yesterday a buyer who bought 2 thom browne ties from me in japan left me negative feedback saying items were fake, i called ebay they said nothing they can do and try to work with buyer to remove it thru communication , ive been having back and forth with buyer, his claim is there is no tri color grosgrain on tie, mine has gray or white grossgrain, so its fake i tried explaining and offering him to research himslef that alll earlier thom browne ties have this detail not tri color, but to no avail, he wants me to pay him back in full plus shipping and customs costs (he bought thru global shipping) to which i refused , since item is authentic id only reimburse him cost of goods, he says then negative rating will remain, now he just sent me a message wanting to buy a thom browne sweater i listed for 499 obo, for 300 and then he will remove the neg, ( i have another buyer at 380 pending) is this grounds for feedback extortion? can i call ebay and now have his feedback removed?

I have sold dozens of BBBF ties. All had solid colored grosgrain backing.

Call ebay and talk to a person. I am about 95% certain that they will remove the negative feedback for feedback extortion. If the ebay rep doesn't roll over immediately I would contend that the buyer placed the negative with the intent to use it as leverage on the next item.

I just added hibim0305 to my Blocked Bidder list.

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had to ship one big box of clothes from the east coast to, say, Idaho... what method/carrier would you use? Wifey has packed up a bunch of our daughter's hand-me-downs to be sent off, one box about 20" on a side and weighs probably 40-50 lbs. Is UPS usually cheaper than USPS for heavier stuff like this? Figured some of you guys may know since you have consignors shipping large boxes to you. Last time I went to the UPS Store I left with the distinct feeling that I'd gotten bent over. Do you guys know if there's a significant discount on UPS through Paypal? I suppose I could have my bro-in-law Paypal me a dollar and buy the shipping that way.

I don't know about UPS discount via Paypal, but yes UPS should be cheaper than the PO for big stuff

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have a situation
I'd say the buyer just handed you a get out of jail free card with that second communication. What an asshat. Thanks for letting us all know, added to the block list!

Speaking of which, I just refunded this douchenozzle original purchase price plus shipping both ways for an item exactly as described, even double checked the measurements after it came back. Don't let this buyer use you as a virtual fitting room: jmoelaw
BLOCK!

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Things I Just Don't Get - ebay version

I recently set up a new ebay account to sell a few personally owned items and keep the money separate from my business. On this new account I am not allowed to require immediate payment on a Buy It Now item. WTF is their reasoning on that? Why allow a potential buyer to tie up an item without paying for it?
I am assuming you are using a new/different paypal account with this new ebay account? For whatever I am pretty sure you need a permier or business account to require immediate payment.

Quote: Best to always just call ebay. The reps are actually very helpful IMO, but yes, it sounds like feedback extortion as long as all the messages/offers were though ebay and not on personal email accounts. I also also never ship anything to him again even if he offered $500. Why bother with the trouble, just block and move on. Enough legit people will want quality items and the $100 or $50 extra so not worth the possible negative and issues down the line.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got off the phone with ebay, they said i also extorted him because he demanded his customs fees back (which they acknowledge was his extortion) but since i responded that i wont work with him on that end until he revises feedback (which is my option no obligation to do that even if he files a SNAD) i also extorted him so they cancel each other out( WTF??!!) also the fact that he extorted again on the sweater doesnt matter, so i was SOL, so i accepted his offer, great job ebay. :violin:

Last edited:

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my first repeat buyer who acknowledged he was a repeat buyer (just sent a message to me saying thanks for last time and he looks forward to his new item) and so I gave him a 15% refund. Then had another repeat buyer who always leaves thank you in his buyer note and gave him 15% back as well. Hope this earns me good will and keeps me in their minds if they're looking for stuffs.

Oh I also wanted to ask is there a way of checking if someone has bought from you before?

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had my first repeat buyer who acknowledged he was a repeat buyer (just sent a message to me saying thanks for last time and he looks forward to his new item) and so I gave him a 15% refund. Then had another repeat buyer who always leaves thank you in his buyer note and gave him 15% back as well. Hope this earns me good will and keeps me in their minds if they're looking for stuffs.

Oh I also wanted to ask is there a way of checking if someone has bought from you before?
If you use the ebay application "Outright" AKA Go Daddy Bookkeeping, you will get a report of your repeat buyers each week. The report includes dates, item info, price paid etc.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you use the ebay application "Outright" AKA Go Daddy Bookkeeping, you will get a report of your repeat buyers each week. The report includes dates, item info, price paid etc.
Appreciate ya, sir.

Lirum

Reaction score

God I love this community.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick vent from a small-timer.

Some douche bag ended up with a free shirt after claiming SNAD--there wasn't a lot of money at stake, so I refunded, black-listed him and figured I'd just move on. He just now posted positive feedback: "Thank you! A+++." I feel like posting my own feedback: "Enjoy your free shirt." Instead, I'm venting here. Just feels like rubbing it in...

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick vent from a small-timer.

Some douche bag ended up with a free shirt after claiming SNAD--there wasn't a lot of money at stake, so I refunded, black-listed him and figured I'd just move on. He just now posted positive feedback: "Thank you! A+++." I feel like posting my own feedback: "Enjoy your free shirt." Instead, I'm venting here. Just feels like rubbing it in...

Do it...nothing to lose now.

PS: to answer your Q Pnutpug from thrift thread, today is day 6 of no smoking. I've noticed that my cravings have gradually increased in time span between the mental thought of wanting to burn one. I've also cut back on eating the past 3 days. Not sure if its because I know after I eat I cannot enjoy the cig like I use to. I guess I unknowingly ate more when smoking because I knew I could smoke there after again. I mentally can over think things sometimes. anyways, cannot wait to hit the 1 week mark, then shoot for the 1 month mark.
I really want to see a difference in health, my air passage ways are still what they were when smoking, and cannot wait to not be out of breath over a staircase climb. Having a physical change will greatly increase my confidence in not relapsing!

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am assuming you are using a new/different paypal account with this new ebay account? For whatever I am pretty sure you need a permier or business account to require immediate payment.

Yes, it's a new paypal account. But what I don't get is why any seller is forced to accept a Buy it Now without requiring Immediate Payment.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a new paypal account. But what I don't get is why any seller is forced to accept a Buy it Now without requiring Immediate Payment.

That is because eBay gives sellers the option to put a time frame on when they would like to receive the payment. Some sellers who aren't strapped for cash feel like if they put a 3, 4 or 5 day purchase time on the item will attract more buyers. In fact I believe our very own Spoo allows up 7 days to make payment for item. This also buys time for large quantity sellers to not have to worry about shipping items in 1 business day.

I see the option as a valid one, but may not be for all sellers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads