1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Don't get me wrong, you should accept the return and move on, it's the ebay way :/

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I know... I know...

Is this thing a rare occurrence? Should I stop titling my listings like that or should I just make sure to call it a 'jacket' within the listing body?

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Do what you think is best. There is not always a right answer across the board.

If I am selling an assumed orphan, I always include the phrase, "Pants are not included in this listing"

4. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Sorry, I didn't read the tag closely enough, my error. The Canadian PS stuff is Samuelsohn, yes. Might be worth throwing that into the title too. Sammy isn't the most desirable, but every search term helps.

5. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

My take on it is this: we bitch and moan about less than honest buyers returning things on technicalities, looking for loopholes in the process to get refunds and such. But now, we want to be able to knowingly list suit jackets as blazers or sport coats. I don't think you can have it both ways. I feel like the more information you supply to your buyers, the better you will do in the long run. Otherwise, you expose yourself to too many potential headaches.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Preach it, brother!

Chalk it up as a lesson learned...

9. namdaemun

namdaemun Senior member

NWT is one thing but you need to take pics of EVERY THING in order to cover your a**. By not taking pics and measurements of the "let" aka extra waist or length, you could possibly set yourself up for failure aka a headache.

I know you want the $ and it is a good amount, however, you will lose in the long run if you fight this case. And if you are a new seller with a negative feedback..that is bad news.

RETURN the suit, take more pics/measurements, re-list and hope you get more. If not, lesson learned

Congrats, Brian!

I always believe in the saying "don't chase money, have money chase you". If you continue to show you are an asset whether to your company, the $ will always come regardless. I never understood WHY people constantly leave for the next high paying role after a year or so when the $ would've eventually came.

Exactly. MOAR INFO = BEST INFO

10. ridethecliche

@jgill79, I think it's a stupid semantic argument, but I agree with you that it will save potential future headaches. How do you handle this for things like canali where they have the drop on everything?

If anything, I want to throw that out there as well.
    Sigh.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  11. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I don't agree that it's just semantics. Words have particular, generally accepted meanings. I recently messaged a seller who had a "Navy suit" listed in the category of Men's Clothing-->Suits. My question was in regard to the pants' measurements, as they were neither pictured nor listed: "There are no pants for sale in this listing," she replied. If I had not asked but rather had simply bid, could I have initiated a return based on SNAD? I'm not sure, but if one has advertised a men's suit for sale, it would seem not unreasonable to expect to receive a men's suit rather than a men's suit jacket. I think it's similar in the case of an orphan suit jacket listed as a sport coat.

Sure, the buyer should bear some responsibility, but that's simply not the reality of EBay as it is currently constituted. And a thorough reading of this thread, which you have shown you have done, makes that pretty clear.

Others have said how: show pictures of the labels.

12. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. marc roberto

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah. True. But I paid $4 for it. So you won't hear me complain.

15. marc roberto

I paid 8$ for one and got 300$. I hear you though. You cant always look back at what coulda shoulda and woulda been.

16. ridethecliche

Wait? What am I missing hurr? That wes had an even better price?

Yeah that's bogus.

Anyway, the buyer messaged back. I told him I'd give him a full refund for what he paid in auction when I get it back and I started the process for that. He seems like a nice enough guy, I'll relist as @jgill79 suggested and move on.

Though, I do need suggestions for how to get the best pictures given my space limitations. Sigh.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

This.

I've decided to completely drop all expectations of "What can I get for this?" My new expectation is "What can I sell this for within a week that will give me a reasonable profit and sustainable growth?"

I changed my pricing structure last night. The result? Five sales since I went to sleep last night. The profit margin won't be as high as it "could be", but I'm still going to do well.

1 person likes this.
  18. marc roberto

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I should've added that for new and higher end stuff, prices will reflect what you mentioned. Of course, I'm also trying to clear out my closets a bit too... ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

edited.