Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

WHOAA! That's amazing man.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Can you explain how you do this? Do you assign a number to each item upon purchasing?

Believe it or not, while I probably have one of the most extensive inventory "collections" in this group, I have no orderly inventory system in place. I basically memorize where I put everything.

3. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Hi folks,

I spent some time on Sunday re-designing my store site. I had been waiting for GarageSale to release a new template that allowed more customization than some their other templates and would let me do the changes I wanted.

Would love any constructive feedback on the presentation.

1. developed a wall paper based on a base of a brown paper bag, with a repeating pattern of clothing outlines
    2. New Header/Logo
    3. New layout with T&Cs at the side (all ebay frames and headers turned off)

I'm also dinking around with the first image of the listing. It always bugs me that it gets letterboxed so I've starting cropping an image in a square to completely fill the ebay photo placeholder in the top part of the description. It also appears larger than a traditional landscape image if you're looking at it in a search list, but not as big an image in Portrait.

At any rate, here's a listing with a square image:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDSOME-HI...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3a871c35c6

And here's one done the old way with an image straight from the camera

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-Bot...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3a871c35db

Again, feedback on look/feel/content or anything that helps me improve I will gratefully accept.

jb

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

5. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I do something similar, but not packaged.

I assign a number to each item as I list them (serial number based on the date of listing). This gives me three things: peace of mind that I've picked the right item to ship, a really easy way to tell how long something has been active on Ebay, and easier tracking of sales since I use an Excel spreadsheet to track sales.

6. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

My $0.02: First off, your pages look really great! On my computer, the square image looks better. On my iPhone, the rectangular image looks better. Considering a lot of people search eBay on their phones, I would just stick with the photo straight from your camera.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1, I was going to say the same thing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Although in the search listings the square look better..

[​IMG]

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks. It takes extra time as I need to upload all the pictures to photobucket then copy them over to the html on ebay but I think its worth it. I'm sure there is a quicker way but dont have a mac or garage sale.

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Pardon me if this is covered elsewhere, but can anyone tell me off the top of their head how many Seller feedbacks you need to be a top-rated seller?
    *Also, at what point does PayPal stop holding your funds for 1 to 3 weeks?

10. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

100 transactions, 1000 dollars, 98% feedback, 90% shipping info uploaded within stated handling time

11. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

FYI - You can open unpaid item cases after 48 hours. I changed it to open the case after 48 hours to get the process started asap.

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Thanks!
    What does this mean: "90% shipping info uploaded within stated handling time"? Just making sure that you are keeping your 1 day turn around promise?

13. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

You need to upload the tracking number within your stated handling time. So if it's one day you have one day to upload your tracking information. Also you have to have same or 1 day handling for top rated status.

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

wow, I thought you used the Plank's theme in GarageSale.

I guess Garagesale simplifies it because you can open a photo browser that grabs the folder structure from iPhoto. You select the raw photos and place them in the place holder, and GS re-sizes the photos to ebay max size.

I have noticed that your photos are large. That's the main downside of the new theme I chose for my store. The side bar goes all the way down which limits the width of the photos. Its the one downside so far.

for all of you other guys who suggested stuff.

Jgill......corrected the spelling.

Wes and MMM, thank you for the feedback on the photo format. I never thought of looking at it on my iPhone or iPad until you mentioned it. since most people first see you in the search results, I'm going to stay with square for a while and see how it goes.

I've learned a lot about GS, replacing images and tweaking stuff in the standard templates and the markup language. not straight forward, but pretty fast once you have it. The best thing was learning how to apply a template change to an entire set of auctions and not having to go into everyone and make the changes.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

if you use the ebay mail labels, doesn't that track it automatically for you?