• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate reserves with a passion and absolutely refuse to bid on any auction that has one nowadays. I much prefer someone to start it with a higher starting bid that at least I know I have a chance of winning. When I first started on eBay, I bid $50 on a pair of pants to find out the guy had a reserve of $60 than after the auction ended without meeting the minimum he offered them to me at the lower price. I refused mainly because I was butt hurt about putting a good bid out and getting it rejected by a reserve. This happened several times, and since than I haven't bid on an item with a reserve.

This is why I love Spoo's auctions, I know I can win stuff for 9.99. It has even happened a couple of times, but it also encourages me to place lots of bids. If you look at my history, I probably bid on 10 - 15 items every week of Spoo's. I have only won 2 items so far but not for lack of trying. I am also not just sniping cheap stuff (although that comes into play), since I am looking for bargains sometimes I find things I really want like a Dsquared jacket for my wife that I put a large bid on but was way under the ending bid. Usually I am too cheap to pay what is required to win them but because I know it is possible I could win it; I bid.This raises the price on many auctions for Spoo because there are a lot of other people out there with the same idea but a less tight fist on their money.

I also hate reserve prices. But I'm not willing to lose money on stuff either. I'd rather relist than lose $50 on a high ticket item. Maybe it is better to just start the auctions higher...

I haven't used a reserve on an auction for over a year, and I might not do it. I'm still figuring out my scheme. Thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly keep your view in mind.

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also hate reserve prices. But I'm not willing to lose money on stuff either. I'd rather relist than lose $50 on a high ticket item. Maybe it is better to just start the auctions higher...

I haven't used a reserve on an auction for over a year, and I might not do it. I'm still figuring out my scheme. Thanks for the feedback, I'll certainly keep your view in mind.

That was just my view BTW, I didn't mean to be an ass or anything. I agree don't lose money, I don't know how many schmucks who start their auctions at .99 with no reserve screw themselves. I have bought quite a few items that didn't get many bids than the seller wouldn't send because he was taking a huge loss. I always told them not my problem, and what I won it for isn't necessarily what I bid. 3 times I have won cases and left negative feedback from this, so +1000 make sure your opening price is enough so you don't lose money (plus shipping).

I really appreciate that you guys are sharing this, it is like reading a book on eBay as the writer is writing it. We get to see your mistakes and triumphs as they happen.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you win too... I was pondering creating a sale through tomorrow night. I decided to put it off until later. By the time I got to the post office, I had two sales totaling $165. I almost lost $41!

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting situation - I sold a pair of jeans to a guy last week. He asked a bunch of questions, I answered, he put in a BO and I accepted.

They were delivered this morning, a few hours later, he gives me positive feedback. Then this afternoon, I get two messages in quick succession, first one saying "I knew this was too good to be true," and saying how the standard inseam on these jeans was 34 and these are 31, and asking if they'd been altered. Then a few minutes later, I get a message saying that he's demanding a refund saying that everyone knows these jeans come with a 34 inch inseam, and saying that clearly I was selling them so cheap because I was hiding the fact that they were altered.

Meanwhile, in the item description I clearly list the measurements (as 30.5), both in the drop-down box and below where I can type them in.

What's my liability here? He's already left me positive feedback, so I guess that's not a concern, and I agreed to give him a refund less 10% restocking as is my policy. Can he still open a case? How badly is this going to backfire on me?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Interesting situation - I sold a pair of jeans to a guy last week. He asked a bunch of questions, I answered, he put in a BO and I accepted.

They were delivered this morning, a few hours later, he gives me positive feedback. Then this afternoon, I get two messages in quick succession, first one saying "I knew this was too good to be true," and saying how the standard inseam on these jeans was 34 and these are 31, and asking if they'd been altered. Then a few minutes later, I get a message saying that he's demanding a refund saying that everyone knows these jeans come with a 34 inch inseam, and saying that clearly I was selling them so cheap because I was hiding the fact that they were altered.

Meanwhile, in the item description I clearly list the measurements (as 30.5), both in the drop-down box and below where I can type them in.

What's my liability here? He's already left me positive feedback, so I guess that's not a concern, and I agreed to give him a refund less 10% restocking as is my policy. Can he still open a case? How badly is this going to backfire on me?
From my experience you are fine. If you want t offer him a refund as thats your policy then thats all you have to do. He cant change the feedback, if he opens a case, call ebay and explain the situation and you should win if you in fact listed the correct measurement and he confirmed it via ebay messages. Add him to your blocked bidder list (and ebay black list) and thats about it.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought one of these yesterday on eBay for $45: http://global.dymo.com/enAU/Products/LabelWriter_450.html

LW450_1.jpg

It doesn't do 4x6 labels for a standard USPS label, but the ones that do are way, way more expensive. And I found this YouTube video where a guy prints out a different format USPS label from Paypal, and from my research it seems like it oughta work with Ebay too.

Will update when it arrives and I test it. Should be a fairly cost-effective way to significantly cut down on the time and hassle involved with printing out paper labels, cutting them out, and taping them on.
I already have one of those so let me know if it works. I think it will take a label that's almost 3 x 6

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold a Sir Pendleton NWT shirt for the BIN price of $66.

I had picked this up as part of a 23 item purchase at an estate sale.

Buyer gets it and send me a photo showing two holes in the shirt on the back. I respond to his email and tell him I'll refund his money and email him a label to print and send the shirt back. When I got back to a large screen, there was no point in the return because of the size of the holes so I followed some advice here and just asked him to donate the shirt.

After 2 rounds of him trying to initiate a return on ebay that wouldn't charge the restocking fee, he messaged me that it was not working. I went to paypal and refunded his money. (I was trying to use the return process to get fees back). Because he was frustrated, I was worried about his feedback.

I had a stack of woolrich fishing shirts, also new that had hadn't paid much for so for $10 in shirt and shipping, I sent him a long sleeve white fishing shirt at my expense with a note explaining how I was disappointed that the shirt wasn't what I expected it to be. (it had never been worn and I never unpinned it)

Got his feedback today.

"Customer service 2nd to none."

Phew. ....I post this as I handled this very differently than I would have without following this thread the last 6 months and it paid off. From Wes saying on some items its better to just have them re-donate the item, to Spoo talking about throwing a fiver in a package when he discovered a problem but the buyer still wanted it........

I may have gone overboard with sending him the free shirt, but for $10, it was worth it to me starting a store to try to make the bad situation into a good one.

Now hopefully, he'll buy something else and I can make back some of my expense.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The main thing these 3 have in common is they work their asses off and are fairly successful.

I for one, think im really successful.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads