• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think your'e being anal, I think it helps to convince a buyer to trust you and to feel secure about the condition. I have bought items said to be in mint condition or excellent condition and they had holes, stains or fraying and were ready to go to the garbage. The seller can rationalize that to him this is excellent even if it smells or has wear and tear all over the place or even just worn out sleeve ends or tie corners, but to write "no holes etc." is a very clear guarantee. I still get damaged crap sometimes when they tell me the "no holes ets." thing but its the best I can ask.

Same here - my most memorable was a Brooks Brothers lambswool sweater made in Italy and described as "mint condition"...when I got it, it had 3 very obvious meatball-with-sauce-type stains down the front (the photo in the listing was only the collar tag). Seller's response: "Sorry about that." There's no winning sometimes, and eBay is a minefield when trying to buy so I rarely risk it any longer except for something that can't possibly (hopefully) be not as described. I think a lot of folks have gotten burned, or less than what they expected when buying on eBay, so I try to go a bit overboard in allaying any fears when buying from me, which also makes me inspect the hell out of everything, and on the rare occasion someone has an issue I have no problem making it right and then some. Sometimes the mentality here shifts to "every eBay buyer is out to rip me off and how do I protect myself and how do I get out of this SNAD case" or whatever, but in reality the vast majority of eBay buyers just want to buy something and be happy with their purchase experience.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's pre-owned, I summarize whatever description I already have, i.e.: "In excellent gently pre-owned condition with no flaws to be found", or whatever my actual description might expand upon. Haven't updated all mine yet - the box is there for sellers who don't give any description of condition, who might only say it's a "Polo shirt size large" or whatever for used items.

"See photos" is not an acceptable description of the condition of an item, in my opinion, unless it's to say something like "Small mark on lining - see photos". I prefer to try and give some peace of mind, and in the full listing description will go into a bit of detail, i.e.: for a shirt "In excellent gently pre-owned condition with no flaws. No holes, rips, tears, or frays. No spots or stains. No visible wear to collar, cuffs, collar points. No soiling or discoloration to collar, cuffs or underarms. Buttonholes are tight, all buttons present including spares." ... along those lines. I like to see that when I'm bidding on / buying an item, and do the same for my listings. But I'm anal that way!
crazy.gif
As usual, good points you raise. In my case, I set up the stock reply in my listing template, that way if I forget to add one, I have a generic one in there. I always note the damage by circling it on the photo and by typing it into the caption of the photos.
@jgill79 , I have skitch, but I just do it in preview as i can open a photo from iPhoto with preview as an editor.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are leather, don't ship them. It's illegal. But probably upwards of $30 for shipping.

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10212 and do a price calc. Lets say the shoes as packaged weigh somewhat less than 4 pounds. I think the insurance covers up to $250USD.

$43 online.

but you're probably better off canceling the transaction, doing a 2nd chance offer if there was one, and blocking international bidders from Italy for certain types of items.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"See photos" is not an acceptable description of the condition of an item, in my opinion, unless it's to say something like "Small mark on lining - see photos". I prefer to try and give some peace of mind, and in the full listing description will go into a bit of detail, i.e.: for a shirt "In excellent gently pre-owned condition with no flaws. No holes, rips, tears, or frays. No spots or stains. No visible wear to collar, cuffs, collar points. No soiling or discoloration to collar, cuffs or underarms. Buttonholes are tight, all buttons present including spares." ... along those lines. I like to see that when I'm bidding on / buying an item, and do the same for my listings. But I'm anal that way!
crazy.gif
I agree, that's why it will say see description and photos. Really just trying to get people to read the damn description for once, and check the measurements.

Actually I just want to put anything in there to shut the error up, I just can't see going through 400 listings and copying/summarizing the description, jut to give buyers an excuse not to read the description.

See what I mean.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone quantify (preferably with pictures), how heavy collar stains can be on a shirt marked EUC? I photographed a shirt under bright lights and didn't notice any major stains (they don't show up in the photos I posted in the listing either). Buyer complained but is attempting to "remove the stains".

Should I chalk this up as an anal retentive type who shouldn't be buying used shirts online?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, that's why it will say see description and photos. Really just trying to get people to read the damn description for once, and check the measurements.

Actually I just want to put anything in there to shut the error up, I just can't see going through 400 listings and copying/summarizing the description, jut to give buyers an excuse not to read the description.

See what I mean.

Amen on getting folks to check measurements...or at least trying to lead them in that direction. Best of luck to us all.

I've only got about 85 active listings and am loathe to add the condition blurb to the 45 or so that need it...forget about 400. I just went thru and changed them all to 1-day handling so I could qualify for top-rated discounts, and that was painful enough (and sure enough afterward I figured out I could have done them en masse instead of individually). Opened a basic store too, to see how that goes...not that I'm having a grand opening with a ribbon-cutting & cake and beer, unless someone wants cake and beer...heck, who doesn't want cake & beer?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amen on getting folks to check measurements...or at least trying to lead them in that direction. Best of luck to us all.

I've only got about 85 active listings and am loathe to add the condition blurb to the 45 or so that need it...forget about 400. I just went thru and changed them all to 1-day handling so I could qualify for top-rated discounts, and that was painful enough (and sure enough afterward I figured out I could have done them en masse instead of individually). Opened a basic store too, to see how that goes...not that I'm having a grand opening with a ribbon-cutting & cake and beer, unless someone wants cake and beer...heck, who doesn't want cake & beer?
I prefer Pie and Whiskey. Although I really really like Golden Oreos dunked in Jack Daniels. Unbelievable.....Spoo, you gotta try it.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I now have a dilemma as the item is sold to the highest bidder, who happens to be in Italy. He hasn't paid yet tho and it's been over 24 hours. He did send me a message about an hour ago saying he would pay by tomorrow.
What can I do to call it off without getting an angry bad rating.

I would try to explain to the buyer that you were not aware you could not ship footwear of any kind to Italy, and kindly ask them to agree to canceling the sale. Hopefully they will be cool with it. If not, I don't have experience in this, but I'd call eBay and ask if they can cancel due to you not being aware of the prohibition and not wanting to put eBay and Paypal on the hook for your seller protection refund if/when they go missing due to being confiscated by Italian customs. Basically telling eBay (who owns Paypal ) it would be in their best interest to cancel it since they will end up paying you back for the shoes going missing. (which may or may not be a valid and true argument, but perhaps one to try nonetheless).

Can someone quantify (preferably with pictures), how heavy collar stains can be on a shirt marked EUC? I photographed a shirt under bright lights and didn't notice any major stains (they don't show up in the photos I posted in the listing either). Buyer complained but is attempting to "remove the stains".

Should I chalk this up as an anal retentive type who shouldn't be buying used shirts online?

I've had stains show up under my photo lights that did not show up in sunlight, incandescent light, or florescent light...and other combinations of where they do/do not show up. But yeah maybe someone who ought not be buying sight-unseen. And the main reason I barely skim the white/tan/yellow/light blue ends of the shirt color spectrum while in a thrift, unless I see a new tag or something too clean & bright to be used.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had stains show up under my photo lights that did not show up in sunlight, incandescent light, or florescent light...and other combinations of where they do/do not show up. But yeah maybe someone who ought not be buying sight-unseen. And the main reason I barely skim the white/tan/yellow/light blue ends of the shirt color spectrum while in a thrift, unless I see a new tag or something too clean & bright to be used.

Seems like sage advice... I'm in the midst of changing what I look at in thrifts for flipping purposes. Selling shirts for $20 profit and then getting complaints about stuff I didn't notice isn't really worth my time. I'm going to focus on the upscale side of the market from thrifts and stick to NWT for lesser items like shirts (except for a few key brands). My aim is bigger flips, and to spend minimal time listing things. I spent less than 1/2 hour listing merchandise today, and added $950+ to my inventory.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like sage advice... I'm in the midst of changing what I look at in thrifts for flipping purposes. Selling shirts for $20 profit and then getting complaints about stuff I didn't notice isn't really worth my time. I'm going to focus on the upscale side of the market from thrifts and stick to NWT for lesser items like shirts (except for a few key brands). My aim is bigger flips, and to spend minimal time listing things. I spent less than 1/2 hour listing merchandise today, and added $950+ to my inventory.

I'm dipping my toes into that same territory...the skeeter shirt I sold yesterday for $249 cost me $113 (plus fees and free shipping), but was new from NMLC and a truly easy flip for about $125 profit. Things take longer to sell in most cases, but we had that convo re: the Arc'teryx jackets I had and I netted an easy $200+ profit each and I still have another one to list. It's a fine line - gotta spend money to make money, but also get real honed in on what will / won't sell (I bought four Penrose ties on closeout, with $165 tags on them, and I cannot "give" them away). Every day is a hustle.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm dipping my toes into that same territory...the skeeter shirt I sold yesterday for $249 cost me $113 (plus fees and free shipping), but was new from NMLC and a truly easy flip for about $125 profit. Things take longer to sell in most cases, but we had that convo re: the Arc'teryx jackets I had and I netted an easy $200+ profit each and I still have another one to list. It's a fine line - gotta spend money to make money, but also get real honed in on what will / won't sell (I bought four Penrose ties on closeout, with $165 tags on them, and I cannot "give" them away). Every day is a hustle.
0.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a fine line... I almost copped an RLPL cashmere sweater, but after checking listings on Ebay decided the margin wasn't there. If I wanted the thing for myself, the price would have been pretty decent (~$200). Give the sheer number of $2000+ items on the shelf there, I'll be monitoring the clearance rack like a hawk in the coming weeks. I have at least 3 Racks and 3 Last Calls within striking distance.

REI and Patagonia sales will undoubtedly remain my bread and butter, at least in the short term. But once my business partner moves to LA, all bets are off.
smile.gif

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love when people ask what I sell on Ebay..."Anything I can sell for more than i pay" Sometimes I feel like one of these street peddlers opening up the trenchcoat and showing off the watches...gotta keep hustling

images

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love when people ask what I sell on Ebay..."Anything I can sell for more than i pay" Sometimes I feel like one of these street peddlers opening up the trenchcoat and showing off the watches...gotta keep hustling

images

Yeah, my response is about the same... I'm just waiting for a friend to have a negative reaction to the idea of flipping thrift store finds.
nest.gif

When I show friends some of my inventory, their jaws just about hit the floor. When I tell them that the retail value of the stuff I've listed this month is over $29,000; they begin to wonder what the eff is wrong with society that it throws away that much money...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ain't it the truth. I have friends who live in Brooklyn & Manhattan and every day they are out to make a buck, any way they can, without screwing anyone over.

Yeah, it is a fine line... I almost copped an RLPL cashmere sweater, but after checking listings on Ebay decided the margin wasn't there. If I wanted the thing for myself, the price would have been pretty decent (~$200). Give the sheer number of $2000+ items on the shelf there, I'll be monitoring the clearance rack like a hawk in the coming weeks. I have at least 3 Racks and 3 Last Calls within striking distance.

REI and Patagonia sales will undoubtedly remain my bread and butter, at least in the short term. But once my business partner moves to LA, all bets are off.
smile.gif

That seems to be your thing and you do well with it - REI and Patagonia and outdoor stuff - will have to tap you if I think I might have something. I always pick up Erewhon stuff as they had a store in my old hometown (Madison) and I almost never see it - I just like it - might not be desirable - no idea.

images

Hustle in a good way, or course...

0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads