1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Thanks! Excellent point; certainly something I should have picked up on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27123727851...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=271237278515&_rdc=1

I bought this one. I offered $55, they took $60. Someone else told me they offered $50 and settled on $55. Shipping adds $20.

Still for $80, its an effective tool and is one of the best ways to improve your presentation.

They're in NJ, I'm in NC, and it was here on the third day.

edit....should have added its about a 40 regular so I pin anything 44 or larger. stuff under 38 may or may not button.

3. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

You can't just put it in a box, its going to fly all over the place and get bent, im asking how to secure it so that it wont bend at all.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I put a ball of bubble wrap inside, and place in the box, slightly over-sized. Then I wrap around the outside of the wanker, dimp, floo, niblick and genitals with bubblewrap. lol. - see crackpot diagram below.

If you really want to be safe, or for higher dollar hats, I would recommend double boxing with a cushion layer of bubble wrap between the boxes.

[​IMG]

5. marc roberto

Thank you guys! @capnwes I think Ill try it your way. And yours too Fueco.

6. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

So a buyer returned a jacket because he claimed I incorrectly measured the arm length. I remeasured and my measurements were on point. He is requesting a refund plus original shipping, which I don't mind because of hassle free returns, but he sends me a message requesting return shipping as well. Do you do it, or no? Is it worth the hassle?

7. suited

suited Senior member

I would not pay for return shipping. Say something like this, which could also be used if he opens a case:

"We are very careful when taking measurements so we can be sure they are accurate. Making our customers happy is our number 1 priority. If you are not happy with the item, please send it back and I will issue a full refund as soon as I receive it. I understand that you requested that I pay the return shipping costs, however, it is customary, as well as stipulated in my return policy, that buyers pay return shipping."

If he tries to claim that you should pay return shipping because it was your mistake (even though it probably wasn't), you could mention how many transactions you've had in the last year and that he's the only person to claim that you made an error measuring.

8. Reigningchamp

Thanks. I plan to use something similar to this on condition returns as well. It seems as if when buyers can't fit an item, have remorse, etc they use the Item not as described excuse. They have to take some responsibility in the transaction as well right? I don't mind returns, but sheesh, I am not paying for someone to try a blazer on.

9. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If the box is the right size it works. For more sensitive hats, I put bubble wrap inside the hat and around it. Sorry for the snarky comment before. ;)

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Returns are a bitch sometimes. Especially if it's a higher priced item. But I don;t normally fight over the return shipping if the press it.

One of last month's first time customers had a return. I use the automated return program, which takes out 10% for wrong size claims. He bitched a little. I caved (was only $5...not worth it). He came back the next week and bought SEVEN sport coats.

2 people like this.
  11. concealed

concealed Senior member

When do the tax forms get released by eBay?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I'm thinking it was mid to late January last year. Had to be, cuz I had my taxes done Feb 1st

1 person likes this.
  13. Reigningchamp

Thanks. Thinking about just eating the cost. Sometimes you lose and you actually win.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Zomg, so happy. The 2nd bidder accepted the 2nd chance offer.

I officially sold my first item on ebay :)

1 person likes this.
  15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Wait, so did the first guy agree to cancel the transaction?

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

No. I called ebay and told them that he was international and I said I wasn't going to ship there. I told them to look at the feedback and it looked like it was a 'shill' account. They agreed and flagged him internally. I also started a dispute. They said it was likely the buyer wouldn't respond since it seemed like a long time issue. They apologized and told me I should start a case and that I could offer or relist the item before that resolved since I would just close it out by myself given that he probably won't be responding.

So I went forward with it.

They have it all on record now so I think my ass is covered.

They also talked me through changing settings to only offer it to US buyers. I think I might expand to US and Canada Paypal addresses, but that's it for now. I can add international bidders one by one if they're interested.

17. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Ridethecliche - Give the GSP a shot for a while. It opens up your auctions to a bunch of different countries and it's virtually the same, shipping-wise, for the seller.

Really stupid question: over lunch today, I stopped by one of my close-to-work spots and found 2 Cape Madras patch madras sport coats. Would it make sense to sit on those until April or so? I'm assuming an item like that sells better in Spring/Summer.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I would definitely sit on it til warmer weather. Likewise for tweed and overcoats in the summer. I've got a pile of seersucker and madras waiting for May.

1 person likes this.
  19. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Thanks! That's what I figured. Looks like it's going in the closet next to the BB seersucker suit I've been sitting on for the past 4 months. Not like I don't have an assload of stuff that I've been lazy about posting to fill my time until then.

20. marc roberto

If you're doing a bin not auction and you're setting the price anyway, why not list it. There are always places where it's not cold.

3 people like this.