• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Job: never a doubt. Based on your results, you job is costing a larger opportunity.

Inventory: wow. Sounds like you need about a week of sick days. Before you quit.

So true! Live the dream, yo!

I think he's going to need a lot more than a week! I've only got about a hundred and I feel swamped. I've created 40 listings in the past 24 hours.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Quote:

It's a custom HF 3yrs old, working cuffs, fabric is nuts, wish it was smaller. Couldn't say no to it.

This is my size and costs about a quarter of what I just spent on a SC full retail. Is it difficult to get a good fit from consigned suits and jackets or is there usually enough play in the fabric that the correct size can usually be tailored to fit well? I've never bought clothes on Ebay.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update

Inventory:

I got it all put away, neatly. House is spotless, as usual ( my wife is one of those perpetual cleaner types). My best friend's wife has had a onset of vertigo and they are not even coming up now. Ugh. Bummed.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my size and costs about a quarter of what I just spent on a SC full retail. Is it difficult to get a good fit from consigned suits and jackets or is there usually enough play in the fabric that the correct size can usually be tailored to fit well? I've never bought clothes on Ebay.
If it's the right size of a brand you know, you're pretty safe. It is usually just a matter of sleeve length, maybe the waist has been taken in, depending on the fabric, and the extent of the modifications, quite often they are reversible. Most likely no alterations have been made at all. Like my auctions state, ALWAYS check measurements. It's pretty easy to spot something that has been extensively modified if you know what you're looking at.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a recent listing, I'd indicated shipping to the US only. However, the winning buyer is from the Russian Federation. He's willing to pay all shipping costs and, from what I can tell, has perfect feedback (60+ purchases).

I have an impression that people are often wary of shipping to Russia.

In this case, I have a buyer who says he'll cover all the costs. Advice on how to proceed? Should I relist? Ship via UPS? Or, use EBay's service?

Acme

Reaction score
^I follow the seller protection rules, so I ship Priority Mail International:

• Use a shipping method that provides tracking information and/or valid delivery confirmation to the address in the PayPal transaction details or eBay order details page.

Then eBay will cover me if there's a problem, but I've never had a problem, so far.

tonylamer

Reaction score
On a recent listing, I'd indicated shipping to the US only. However, the winning buyer is from the Russian Federation. He's willing to pay all shipping costs and, from what I can tell, has perfect feedback (60+ purchases).

I have an impression that people are often wary of shipping to Russia.

In this case, I have a buyer who says he'll cover all the costs. Advice on how to proceed? Should I relist? Ship via UPS? Or, use EBay's service?

If he won't pay for tracked airmail, cancel the transaction. I've just had a pair of jeans stolen by the Russian post. I'd ship almost anywhere in the world before sending anything to Russia.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Public Service Announcement:

If you don't have a mannequin, get one..finally got one a couple weeks ago, grabbed 5 items out of my redonate pile that I had listed twice and hadn't sold...all sold and easily paid for the mannequin and then some.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Spoo has me converted. ONLY ship USPS Priority Mail (or express) + Insurance. I use to ship 1st class REGISTERED mail and never had an issue with registered or Priority Mail + Insurance.

DO NOT SHIP no matter what 1st class normal!!

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
If it's the right size of a brand you know, you're pretty safe. It is usually just a matter of sleeve length, maybe the waist has been taken in, depending on the fabric, and the extent of the modifications, quite often they are reversible. Most likely no alterations have been made at all. Like my auctions state, ALWAYS check measurements. It's pretty easy to spot something that has been extensively modified if you know what you're looking at.

Thank You. If I do decide to try out buying online I imagine I'll find a local tailor first to take my measurements.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. So, is Priority Mail International sufficient? The item's value is $85, so built-in insurance should be sufficient.

Debating whether to require the guy pay for Registered as well (an extra $12.95). Thoughts?

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. So, is Priority Mail International sufficient? The item's value is $85, so built-in insurance should be sufficient.

Debating whether to require the guy pay for Registered as well (an extra $12.95). Thoughts?

I think (not 100% sure) Priority has insurance up to $50, willing to risk the last $35 and if he is going to pay for it why not add it. Your debating charging for Registered but not the $3 for the full insurance?
dozingoff.gif
And use the Shipcover insurance offered though ebay. A few people have had to use it and said you get paid back much easier and faster then the post office.

If you want, just send express mail ($100 insurance I THINK) and you will be set.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads