1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If I recall my several years of schooling in photography properly, this is because the effective aperture changes as you zoom in and out. In most cheaper zoom lenses, the maximum aperture changes (one of my lenses goes from 4-5.6) as you zoom in and out. Really high end lenses will have the same max aperture setting (Canon's L Series lenses are typically at 2.8), which I think would fix the problem.

I don't recall of the physics of it since it's 1:20 AM. [​IMG]

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think you're making the beam of light that's needed to hit the sensor more narrow every time you zoom, thus you need to increase the size of the hole to get enough light and get the same exposure.

3. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Quick eBay photo question. When I first started selling, customers could click on my photos to zoom in and enlarge. Now, this is no longer the case. Do I need to upgrade to Gallery Plus or am I uploading photos that are too big (in size or dimensions) that eBay is sizing down? Perhaps just worth it to go Garage Sale and post better quality photos inline.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Finding/sorting information will hopefully be easier in the near future, at least in this thread. Stay tuned for updates.

True fact. My wife will sometimes comment that my responses are "too polite" for some people. It's sometimes hard to keep in mind when you get a message that's insulting whether it's a super-low offer on something you just listed or asking in a rude manner where you get your items/are they fake. It always helps to wait ten or fifteen minutes before you respond and consider the situation. It's business and you're trying to sell something. It gets you nowhere trying to point out that someone is being rude or impolite.

The same is true for returns, in my opinion. Most of the time, a sale goes through without a problem. The photos, description, and measurements are nearly always accurate, so this makes sense. Sometimes, something will just not work for the person and they want to make a return with the full understanding that shipping is not going to be refunded. Those returns are easy. Every once in awhile, hopefully only a few times a year (depending on sales), you'll get someone that claims that the item is the wrong color/size/condition and will become difficult. They will want their original shipping and return shipping refunded. How do I normally deal with these people? Most of the time, I give them what they want. Not because I think they're right or it's fair to me, but because it's the easiest thing to do. I'll promptly return messages, write in a polite, formal manner, and offer the refund.

I've expressed this opinion before, but if you get into an argument with someone (in which you know you'll likely lose within ebay/PayPal), it's best to just deal with it and chalk it up to the cost of doing business. The likelihood of arguing with someone and then receiving a message that says:

"You know what seller, you were right. I apologize for my behavior and that I was trying to take advantage of you. Accept my sincerest apologies and I will take this experience with me in future transactions."

No, they're always going to believe that they are/were right and they probably bring this attitude with them to their job, other stores, etc. You can't and won't change them. In the end, save yourself the headache and stress and just recognize that certain people can't be pleased and you'll run into them sooner or later.

5. suited

suited Senior member

I don't change my camera settings at all. I use the default settings with no flash. I found that it was easier to adjust my lighting. My total lighting setup costs maybe $50.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Paypal does not have this option yet, but you can though USPS. it was very frustrating at first but do NOT select flat rate shipping. You have to put the weight in and then click next and you will see the regional rate options.

2 people like this.
  7. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Ok, guys, I had another case opened against me today, looking for your advice. Selling is extremely frustrating . . .

Buyer wins item on Dec. 14th. No payment by Dec. 16th so I send a courtesy message asking if he needed more time. I receive payment on Dec. 17th. I ship item Dec 18th.

I think all is fine and receive the following message on Dec 28th:

Quote: I respond with:

"I have uploaded the tracking number already. It shows that it was in "nearby location" on the 26th. Not sure where it is now . . ."

I then get the following response:

Quote: Now the item listing explicitly stated that I do not accept refunds unless I messed up badly in describing something. When I received this message I called ebay immediately to discuss the situation. They said I was definitely in the right in this case and noted that I show no refunds and that I shipped within 2 business days of payment. They noted our discussion on the transaction.

Here's where I may have screwed up. I never contacted him back to tell him I do not accept refunds. I completely forgot after speaking with ebay. A few days later there is a case opened against me, but now he added a twist because he knows how to work the system:

The case type was as follows: "This item doesn't match the description in your listing."

This grabbed my attention. As I read further:

Quote: Now all of a sudden measurements were wrong. No mention of this before, mind you. I measure all of my garments carefully and this item even had a 39R tag inside of it. How can I prove that my measurements are correct, however? I no longer have the item in hand of course. I have positive feedback from at least one other buyer that says that the suit was just as described: same way of doing measurements!!

I took a hit on the JCrew suit I listed before and of course it comes back in the condition I listed it in, NOT the way the case said it was. Selling on eBay is getting so frustrating.

Please give me your best advice. I am really considering fighting this one.

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Return, refund, block, move on.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

AH, THOSE BASTARDS HID IT. I've been trying to figure that out forever.

2 people like this.
  10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I was shopping for a camera in November, and I don't know if I properly thanked everyone that gave me some advice. There were a number of people that offered great information including @Fueco, @Snoogz, @ScottW, and @ATLnoob. Thanks again!

I ended up going with the Nikon D5100. It hit all of the points including a flip-out LCD, ability to accept my old lenses, and price. It's been great though I still have a lot to learn. I bought it from Camera Centre Cardiff. They had a fine price on ebay, but found an even better price on their own website. When I went to check out, I found that they offered free shipping, fairly rare considering it was being shipped from Wales to Austria. This made the price even better. I ordered it on a Monday night around midnight. I called the store the next day to make sure the order went through without a problem. He said it would be shipped that day. It arrived Wednesday morning, meaning it took a matter of hours from Tuesday to Wednesday to receive it. The free shipping was actually DHL overnight.

On top of that, they included a "starter" bundle with the camera that included an 8GB card and case. These were available to purchase for £17.99 on the checkout page, but it was included for free.

I just want to say that I have no affiliation with the camera company outside of this purchase, but I was so happy with it I thought I'd mention it.

Here is their page: http://www.cameracentreuk.com/

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

@luv2breformed , I saw something on the seller portal that ebay was protecting sellers that had delays due to slow shipping. I would read up on that. I think you're covered in this case because it's a timing issue. They also didn't pay on time which helps your case.

The fact that they changed their story so soon probably helps your case, no?

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

That's why you are the computer guy.

14. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Yea, that's the primary reason I was considering fighting it. He even paid late. If he paid on time he likely would have received it on time, and I'm sure we wouldn't be having this issue . . .

15. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Is there a way you can prohibit buyers from paying you with a Paypal e-check? I hate the 3-5 day check clearing time.

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No. They are actually paying with paypal, just didn't have the funds in their account. It's just a transfer from the backup source.

17. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Hmm...but I've paid with the bank account linked to my Paypal account before, and it didn't take any time to clear. I think it's two different ways of processing bank account funds - one processed like a check, the other like a direct debit.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Do you by chance also have a credit card backing the account? That will allow the transaction to process immediately with the bank account since they can get the money by other means if necessary. That's how mine is setup.

2 people like this.
  19. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

bumping.

20. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

bump