1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Re: the bow tie, heh, yeah - I had just gotten a new tube light fixture to place on the floor and aim upward behind the mannequin (which helps it stand out a bit more from the background), and I was too focused on the new lighting to notice I shot 4 sport coats with the tie a bit off. Oh well.
    Far from perfect but given the cramped area I currently work in, best I can do for now. Have two sets of lights aimed directly at the mannequin, one overhead, and the new one aimed up the wall behind. Should start looking better when I shoot in front of my white backdrop instead of an off-white wall.

Was just looking at some pics I used on eBay when I first started listing clothing in earnest - I had one of those open-backed plastic mannequins, no shirt or ties, and 2 halogen shop lights - jeez - looking back they sure were terrible! (not to mention I was buying and attempting to sell orphan suit jackets, before I knew there was such a thing). This is from January 1st 2013 - almost a year ago to the day - like to think I've gotten a bit better since then:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  2. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

BTW- that Armani houndstooth SC is a short, not regular.

1 person likes this.
  3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Hmm. I thought I'd seen others' setups with just 3 or 4 lights. Well, I'll give it a shot and figure out how to add more if I need to.

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Shipping internationally via eBay printing using "Priority Mail International - Package/Thick Envelope" ; can we use Priority Regional Rate Box A ? I'm assuming it shouldn't matter because using that option allows you to use any box you source, whether its a plain brown box, or a regional box?

EDIT: Think I found my answer: Just make sure the "Regional Rate A" wording on the Box is blacked out or covered up. Then the boxes become Priority Mail boxes, used however you determine.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Gah! Thank you for catching that and alerting me - fixed!!

I used 3 light fixtures with some good results...one fixture has a large spiral bulb for overhead, and two side-lighting fixtures have 4 spiral bulbs each. Just added the 4th fixture for background lighting with the 2 tube bulbs. I know some folks use 2 or 3 four-foot tube fluorescent fixtures with good results as well. Not sure how much light you'll get out of 4 bulbs vs. 4 multi-bulb fixtures, but a lot can depend on whether they have reflectors, your ambient light, and whether you've mastered your camera (or not, like me - just using a point & shoot). Less is better so it would be great if you can get good results.

The subject of lights / setups / etc comes up here every so often, and folks post what they have and some really creative custom solutions, though it can be a chore trying to ferret it out of older posts. Maybe there will be a dedicated thread some day.

6. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I just won an auction for a Canon Powershot S95, which is a point-and-shoot with full manual controls, including custom white balance calibration. Hopefully once I learn the camera I'll be able to make it work.

That's a nice set, and those are the same bulbs I've got. Currently I've got these clamp lights for the bulbs; I still have to rig up some kind of diffusing mechanism. I may end up getting some umbrellas for that.

[​IMG]

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I might try doing this on the cheap by getting a flash for my slr and then using a plastic cup as a diffuser. I've seen it done for indoor photography with decent results.

I don't have a mannequin, so I'm just trying to make the most of what I got. I'm hoping to find one of those plastic hangar mannequins at a thrift for now.

9. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

No issues there for me, but I have only sent 3 or 4 items. But YMMV I suppose.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I got two of these bad boys (and still wondering if I need more light) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "
    Also have a few tota lights that I'm not really sure if how I'm going to use.

QUESTION for a camera pro - Using a 18-55 lens and I do the auto white balance. Have the camera set on "A" Apature mode and I just adjust the +-exposure as needed. Is there a way so that it auto does the exposure so all my photos are the same "brightness"?

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Looks good to me...Neither of mine have scripted buttons. I have one spread collar French cuff and one Tuxedo. Both do however have solid MOP buttons.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Thanks guys. The text on your tag looks a bit crisper/not as blocky. I've requested a picture of something else he mentioned which should definitely help determine authenticity. What's the best way to play this in general? Just send him a prepaid label and ask for it back?

15. ridethecliche

Did you have pictures of the stain and a description saying they were stains inside?

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

17. ridethecliche

18. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Probably been asked before, but couldn't find it in the search....

Is there a way to offer "Free Shipping" on auctions that have a Buy It Now option just for when they do the BIN? Pretty sure I used to do that, but can't remember if it was anything special I needed to do. Didnt see anything like that in the seller options...

19. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not that I know of, but you could mention it in the listing and just refund refund the shipping....assuming you require immediate payment for your BIN purchases. I think that is the only way around it.

20. concealed

concealed Senior member

There is no way they are going to fake a "Brioni for Barney's NY" shirt

2 people like this.