1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheBurnOut

TheBurnOut Senior member

I assure you, you know nothing about my balls.

2. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

And the thread will breathe a sigh of relief if we are assured of remaining ignorant.

1 person likes this.
  3. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

USPS is killing me this week. 2 packages with zero shipping updates. Hoping its just a weather issue. Sales total $50 so not mad. Its just the buyers who buy the cheapest stuff from me give the most headaches.

4. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

You're telling me. Normally I have no trouble but am getting very delayed updates on one of my biggest eBay sales to date. Damn thing should have already been delivered! [​IMG]

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

I have noticed a very sharp uptick in delivery times and in delays in info being updated and am attributing to the Christmas rush. I just had this happen:

USPS
    Processed through USPS Sort Facility
    2013-12-20, 16:22:00, ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL 60007

Acceptance (SSK)
    2013-12-16, 13:07:00, NEW YORK, NY 10016

Sure was glad to see it pop up finally - I just wonder how it magically teleported from NYC to Chi-town.

6. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Received a return on a sweater, I'm about 99% sure they washed it as it has a heavy detergent smell now...I can't tell that it really shrunk it, maybe misshapen a bit though. Would you guys fight as not returned in same condition? How do you prove someone washed it if they won't admit?

7. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I'd report it. That's some BS right there...

8. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Here's how it ended up.

I went home, had a single malt to help calm me down, and then got REALLY angry as I pondered things. It wasn't my fault, there's a buyer expecting a PS4 on Christmas morning and all eBay can do is tell me to wait by my cell phone for 24 hours and a supervisor will, at some point, call me, maybe in time for the package to be shipped for Christmas, maybe not. To fulfill a promise to the buyer, I had relied on a promise from eBay, and eBay wasn't keeping its promise, and my only alternative was to eat shipping charges, which is what I think they were planning on--I'd just get frustrated and give up and they'd be off the hook.

So I called again and asked for a supervisor.

The ensuing 45 minutes reminded me of the days when you'd use one of the free AOL CD's to get Internet access long enough to get a better ISP, then cancel AOL, a process that took forever because you weren't allowed to cancel online and AOL phone operators were trained to stall and delay and try to convince you to not cancel, a practice for which I believe they were eventually punished via the FCC or a class action. In this case, I told the supervisor upfront that I don't have a printer in my home, I'd already wasted more than an hour on the phone with eBay to no avail and so what needed to happen was for me to ship the package the next morning, get reimbursed in full by eBay and that I would also appreciate having all fees waived, given what a mess this had become. She kept telling me how to set up my printer, no matter how many times I told her that I didn't have a printer. It was like something from an SNL sketch. I had to keep reminding her that it was Dec. 20, Christmas was Dec. 25, the post office is closed on Sunday and so I needed a solution that would work now that didn't involve me spending my entire weekend monkeying with it. It turned into a battle of attrition--it was clear to me that she was reading from some kind of protocol/script without listening at all to what I was saying.

Finally, we arrived at a deal: I ship at my expense, eBay waives fees of $47 and also gives me a $40 eBay coupon (and I can't wait to read the fine print on that one). This morning, I went back to the office where I have access to a printer. Instead of going through eBay, went straight to the USPS website. Had the label in five minutes.

This was, easily, the worst experience I have ever had with any customer service department with any company. They didn't know how to solve my problem, they blamed the problem on me and they refused to make it right until I yelled and screamed and belittled the person on the other end of the line for 45 minutes. That's crazy, but that's eBay--no matter what, it's never their fault, just ask them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  9. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I sent him a message asking if he washed it, assuming he did I would assume I'm off the hook for taking the return, but then do I have to send it back to him? Seems like a mess waiting to happen...

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Have they denied washing it?

I'd try to work it out with the buyer first, which I presume you've already done. I'm also presuming that it now cannot be resold due to the smell. If that's the case, I'd try fighting it but I wouldn't cross my fingers on winning. I'd also put the buyer on the black list.

11. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

He denied, debating if I want to open a case now or not, like I said I don't know think its really damaged, and its still sellable---However, he was kind of an ass about the return and claimed it wasn't authentic, although he didn't open a case.

12. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

It was probably itchy like that shirt you sold.[​IMG]

13. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Lol, for all I know I've got a bed bug infestation in my photo room and all my clothes are infested.

I went ahead and refunded, I usually have good luck selling for more the 2nd time anyways.
    '
    However, I could have probably won it b/c he originally said it was fake and that's why he was returning, then after i asked him if it was washed and he said no, I just tried it on and it didn't fit and I put it back in box to ship.

14. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Same here. Mailed a package on Monday, no info since. Buyer asked about it, told them there's nothing to to but wait. Irritating. This is a $180 camera lot I sold for a friend too. :/

15. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Just found out I'm in the top 1-2% of ebay sellers [​IMG] (kind of surprised actually) + other contributing factors get you a call back from ebay customer support's special small customer service team of approx 15 people here in the US vs. the 500 people overseas that normally answer the customer service questions. The guy remembered my username and photo setup me from last time I spoke to him a few weeks ago.

The case "item does not fit and is smaller then described".... we shall see how it goes. He also informed me that the customer service agents are NOT suppose to leave their opinion in the notes section although some do.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    4 people like this.
  16. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

CONGRADS brainpore on the top status

17. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Quite sad. I hit 105 transaction, got my neg taken off, and have the criteria for Top Rated status. But I guess they determine Top Rated status first, then add in your transactions from the last month. Looks like I'll be waiting till January 20th for that TRS. Not a big deal, I was just a bit excited to see it.

18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

Anyone know how I can use Paypal or eBay shipping when doing a trade on Style Forum? I can't find a link.

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

You can use PayPal. Search for Multi Order Shipping. Then create new shipment.

20. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Got my first return today. "Jacket was darker than the photos".

Not really.