Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If you have something super high end that is dirty, perhaps... I never have, but I have washed some shirts.

2. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I ask because I have a great BBGF suit that has a spot. I would prefer not to have to detail that in a listing, and I'm really not sure I'd be able to pick it up even in great lighting. If I don't mention it, my conscience is going to bother me and I'm paranoid the buyer may make it a thing. Picked up another BB suit today that has a slight dark spot. Again, difficult to see because the suit is navy design. What do you guys do about stuff like this? I would assume in a thread full of thrifters this comes up all the time.

More questions: Found an awesome Zegna orphan and but it's db and peak lapels. Beautiful charcoal wool and cashmere, but with the design idk how someone could pull it off. Does that have value? Can't find examples in ebay completed.

I've been passing two Zegna Soft and Canali Proposta for weeks because they they look like orphans and Proposta/Soft are diffusion lines. They're all $5, are they worth flipping?

Also, Fueco I've been watching your completed (mad props) and kicking myself because for the first time I passed on going to my REI garage sale. You're killing it and I've seen plenty of similar stuff in the past garage sales.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

click auction > Contact buyer > send invoice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

4. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

thanks,

I'll check out the resources you've mentioned.

I know there are a ton of fake autographs out there. Mine have certificates, but I learned after that a lot of these guys just print certificates for everything. I've got the signed ones up on the wall of my music studio along with a johnny van zandt signed guitar. So I'll probably just leave the there.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Awesome answer. I bought albums to listen to, so I don't have any still in the plastic. I also have around 1000 CDs, but years ago I ripped them into my mac.

I use delicious library to catalog all my stuff and have a hand held scanner (precedes the iPhone). I hadn't thought of that with the vinyl.

thanks again. I appreciate the generosity with your time and knowledge.

7. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I've done so with a recent loro piana BB blazer, and I just did with a brioni blazer, a pendleton knee length overcoat and a cashmere overcoat.

There's enough margin that it was worth the $3.00 to have it looking as good as possible for photographs.

Plus, If I was selling something and found a stain or dusty spot or something I didn't notice, I'd have it cleaned before I shipped it..

I found a hardy aimes tie in a solid red and a hermes yellow tie with a pattern. both had a few spots I noticed when I put them under the photo lights. hermes came out in dry cleaning, the aimes was better, but not right. so that one goes in a donor pile.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Are the Hardy Aimes ties even worth bothering with? I've tried to see two in classic patterns that languished on Ebay for months and got no interest even when reduced to $5!

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Thanks, Spoo!

10. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Good to know. Thanks guys.

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Personally had zero luck with HA stuff. They used to be a thing but I don't know how to tell the older good stuff from the junk so I always pass now.

12. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

$3 for dry clean? For 3 I would always clean
    It's like 10-15 for a sportscoast here

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I had a guy open a case "accidentally" last night. He only wanted to ask me a question under the "not as described" section. This I am not concerned about.

The question is the funny part. He bought a suit with 38/30 pants. He said the jacket fits him well, but the pants must be only a 36 since he wears a 37 and they are too tight. I suspect he is used to vanity sizing and never measured his waist or existing pants to know the actual measurement.

Here's the kicker. He read in my listing that the pants could be let out up to 3" but he he just can't figure out how to do it.

Lol. I guess I need to add something to my listing stating that let-outs should be done by an experienced tailor.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]