1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

I don't have a scale yet and I want to purchase postage from e-bay. I'm quite sure 5 oz. is more than enough for the tie I'm shipping to Toronto, but just in case its not, does anyone know if you can add the necessary postage at the post office? I cant imagine why not? Any thoughts? Thanks all.

2. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yes, you can add postage at the post office, but I believe eBay only sells in whole pounds, so even if you put in 5oz, it's going to charge you for and cover the postage for 1lb.

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Whole pounds for Priority, ounces for First Class.

1 person likes this.
  4. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

3 people like this.
  5. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Fortunately it all worked out in the end. I relisted the item and settled on a higher price with a new buyer. I noticed that he was from Spain so I made a point of mentioning that he needed to be aware of his shipping and customs charges during the make-an-offer back and forth. After he paid he messaged me asking to mark it as a gift or as low value for customs purposes, but fortunately I had forgotten to uncheck GSP when I relisted, so I simply told him that I have no control over those things because eBay handles the international shipping portion...I don't normally use the GSP, but this time I'm glad I did. It's never good to have to tell a buyer that you aren't going to commit a crime for them!

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I've got a new one. Guy bids on a burberry hooded jacket I have up. a day later, he offers $250 to end the bid and ship, but since I'm sitting on double the watchers I've ever had, I decide to let it play out.

Yesterday he pings me wanting additional photo's because he's concerned the coat is a fake. Why? don't know. I had listed the coat as Made in Canada because it has the Textile Fiber content tag from Ontario. This is a regulatory requirement. (tag photo below)

He said no manufacturer would include a tag like that. I sent a note with additional pictures so he could see the full tag. I also provided photos of the snaps (all burberry, the zipper pulls - burberry, the hoodie draw string control, yep, burberry).

Then I told him to please cancel his bid if he had any doubts about authenticity because I would rather it happen today than after I ship it to Canada.

How would you have handled this?

Sadly, the immediate follow up bid is from a guy in Sweden with ZERO feedback and member for 2 weeks. Can I set a different feedback threshold for international bidders?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I love when I have 2 returns for the same reason but complete opposites.

One person bought a pair of jeans that are tagged 2 sizes smaller than they measure files a claim that the jeans are too big.

The other person bought jeans tagged 2 sizes smaller than they measure says the jeans are too small.

Both in the same week. I thought measurements posted in the description were sufficient for people to get the right size but now I know most people have no idea what size they really are.

[/rant]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I would have cancelled his bid(s) and blocked him, if I didn't want him to bid on my item for whatever reason. You can cancel bids on your end...

Not sure why it's sad that the next bidder had zero feedback and was a new member...everyone starts at zero; everyone is new at some point. Conversely, not everyone is out to screw you / me / us. Buyer requirement settings are across the board - domestic and int'l.

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Thanks Sen. Noob. I did just that. and he just pinged me that after he had a chance to review my additional photos, he was satisfied and he tried to re-store his original bid but couldn't. Did I block him?

"Yes sir. If you get this and you're not happy, I have to pay shipping both ways and that works out to about $70 to Canada." too much risk since he's already very suspicious of the product.

10. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Its only sad, because of how expensive it is for shipping if there's a return.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Pretty sure that second one's not actually zegna...

12. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Yeah just Zegna cloth

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. woodchuck312

woodchuck312 Senior member

I've had three BINOBO no pays in the last week too. These are people with hundreds of feedbacks. What the heck is up with these people lately.

15. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I've had two this week, both from people with more than 100 feedback.

My biggest issue this week though has been from a guy over 300 feedback who apparently doesn't know what his coat size is or what his measurements are. I wish Ebay had a "Smack this bitch and move on" option...

16. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

It's your call, but if there's just too much back-and-forth and you're not comfortable with their general tone & demeanor, or if they're overly skittish but have no reason to be, I personally prefer to pass on bids & offers that may bite me later. When someone asks me too many questions that indicate they doubt the accuracy of my listings, I politely tell them they may be better served buying a new item in store vs. on eBay.

Yeah that would indeed suck, though if described, measured and photographed accurately I don't see a return happening unless there's buyer's remorse...Tricky with int'l sales and why I don't do it much.

17. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

I state on my auctions that returns due to buyers remorse or failure to read measurements will be accepted but the buyer will have to pay the shipping cost.

I don't know if that is "ebay legal" though.

It worked good for me until last week though. I sold a $50 NWT item to a international purchaser. He filed a NAD case. I said i would accept the return but would only refund the item price. He demanded I pay return shipping, so I let him file the case (I figured the dick attitude the buyer gave me was going to result in low star ratings anyway). I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  18. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Hmm, how do I handle this?

Buyer sends me this message:

"Im not happy with the qualiy and fit of this jacket. I would like a full refund. It is not true to size."

so I reply with this (line breaks omitted here):

Hello, I underatand you aren't happy with the fit of the jacket; however, full measurements were provided and the auction specified that "I do not accept returns, including those for fit or style." as well as "no returns accepted." As a gesture of goodwill I would permit you to reuse my pictures if you like. Thanks for your understanding!

and he files for NAD with this additional information:
    "Received jacket and tried it on. I does not fit right at all. The cuffs are way too big and it needs dry cleaning. I want a full refund."

What do you guys think my response should be? My initial reaction was that this is clearly buyer's remorse. What bums me out about this is that it's a personal jacket that I never wore - true NWOT, threads and buttons included, etc, etc - the whole nine yards. Wanted to avail myself of dispassionate heads before I respond to his case.

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

1. Refund.
    2. Block him
    3. Move on

3 is the toughest of the steps.

2 people like this.