1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Best of luck in your new endeavor! Would love to do this full time myself, but my balls are mere raisins compared to yours.

2. TheNeedMachine

No, it's perfectly acceptable - the Cinderella (or Cinderfella for men's shoes) method.

3. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

What if I just measure the length with a tape measure

4. TheNeedMachine

Return for money back, or redonate them. You will not sell shoes on eBay for which you do not know the size. You can measure, estimate, etc all you want, but even if they do sell in all likelihood they will be returned. Lesson learned, stop wasting time on them, move on.

Aside: if you do not own a tailor's tape, get one. Your toolbox tape measure is not for measuring clothing, shoes, ties &c.

5. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Bought a pair of jeans on ebay a while back and they didn't fit. They were NWT and I got a good deal so I decided to list them and make a few bucks instead of paying to return them. Sold them and the buyer wanted to return. Fine. Relisted, sold again. Buyer emails and says wife bought them by mistake, not the fit he wears. Cancelled transaction. Relisted, just sold again. Hoping 3rd time is a charm for these seemingly jinxed jeans.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

You think that's cursed!? Sold a jacket that had been sitting for a couple months. Finally went for a price I could be happy with. Sent it out. two weeks later, I get it returned to sender with no contact from the buyer whatsoever. Okay. I contact the buyer. "Oh, I'm so sorry. I went into the hospital. Please send it back. I'll pay for the shipping." Okay. Send it back. Been a couple weeks. Buyer contacts me today. "My brother accidentally returned the jacket again. Could you please send it one more time when you get it back. I'll pay the shipping again." Ferchrissake. Okay. One more try.

2 people like this.
  8. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

I found a female half mannequin at a Goodwill for 8 bucks. I just turned it around.

9. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

If I can't see the length and width I usually pass on them. Unless I run into the exception brands or I plan on keeping.

10. tben

tben Senior member

You click the sell button on eBay. After that its going to say start a new listing or choose and existing template, type in a few key words. Then pick your category. Choose a title give a description some pictures etc. Then choose if you want an auction or fixed price. Then the shipping (choose whatever matches your method) and whether or not you would like to donate some of your proceeds. Then click the review button, then create your listing. Your welcome.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, you might want to add some item specifics too. And I have no idea why you are quoted concealed, my bad. Maybe because selling on eBay is incredibly inconsistent as is finding quality products in thrift stores to resell. Good luck though my man.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

You guys's listing typically ends on a Sunday? Is there a way to set it on Ebay without having a "shop" (besides the whole 3,5,7,10 days option)

12. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

That's the way we all do it. Just have to start it on the right day.

1 person likes this.
  13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, right in the listing there is a selection for where you want it to start, whether immediately or at a certain day/time. The nice part about not having a store in this instance, is that basic sellers can schedule for free. It cost $0.10 per listing with a store.

1 person likes this.
  14. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Yes, I do not have a store and do this all the time. Huge bonus. I take pictures, make measurements, and draft posts spread out throughout the week and then just schedule them to start Sunday evening. Keeps me from destroying my weekends.

15. DanM

DanM Senior member

Or you can take the Mythbusters approach. Put a plastic bag in the shoe, fill with ballistic gel. Wait for it to set, remove fake foot, and measure. Probably size down half a size, don't want the shoes to be crazy tight.

Or you could just return them.

2 people like this.
  16. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

You could compare the inner-measurements with past shoes you've listed. Find one with similar measurements and then you could at least list them as "Blah Blah Blah Sweet Ass Shoes Fits ≈ 11" or whatever. Start the listing low and make sure to make a note that the size is worn off but you've compared them to a pair of Allen Edmonds or whatever and that the size approximately matches. Or just return them.

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

That won't work either.

18. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

You're welcome. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry, T, couldnt resist after G busted my balls yesterday.

19. tben

tben Senior member

[​IMG] In my defense, it was late last night... However, the writing rules are changing (according to Purdue Owl of course). Apparently, it is now perfectly acceptable to end your sentences with prepositions!!! So you're alright for doing so.

20. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Aren't you supposed to set them on fire or blow them up somehow?