Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

I've been trying to convince my girlfriend that we'd actually be making more as a business but she's still unconvinced, even with that logic...Maybe if I say that we can write off thrift-cations to California then she'll be on board.

2. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

...the kinda car you need if you're gonna raid a millionaire's closet... can't be showing up in a Yugo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

4. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Increased travel efficiency.

5. SchoolyardBully

SchoolyardBully Senior member

Under business advertising: "world finest luxury". That's a no brainer :p

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

The advertising value alone of the Ferrari as a symbol of his success in the thrift business! Think of the non styleforum people who tracked down his store or decided to consign their stuff because of his success demonstrated by being able to thrift the Ferrari.

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

8. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

Nice jacket! I would personally be a little less wordy. I don't think saying that it will need pressing is required, as buyers wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) expect you ship in a giant box that doesn't require the jacket to be folded. I think it just puts another cost into their head. I also wouldn't say that there are things you might have missed. To me that can translate to either a) I might try to slip a minor imperfection passed you or b) I really didn't inspect it as thoroughly as I said. Just my $0.02.

9. Reosymes

Reosymes Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. The reason for being too 'wordy' is that I'm a new seller, thus undertake the risk of people returning the item knowing that ebay will side with them. I guess I'm covering my ass, which does sound defensive.

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

11. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

This.

Though you'll want to do yourself a favor and make it as easy as possible. The last thing you want to do is spend a couple days at tax time sorting receipts. So, first, get a PayPal debit or credit card attached to your account, and use it to pay for everything related to your thrifting activities. Then, subscribe to Outright (or Go-Daddy bookkeeping, as I think it's now called). Outright organizes all your expenses into categories, and automatically generates a schedule C for you at the end of the year. Then just hand the schedule C to your accountant, and you're good to go. You'll just need to check Outright every so often to organize your expenses, but it learns your vendors over time, so that gets easier as you go. Outright used to be free, but now it's $50 per year. Well worth the expense.

Oh, and one more thing. Make sure you stash some of the scratch in a savings account so you don't end up short on your tax bill at the end of the year. Outright is also helpful for reminding you to make quarterly tax payments.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013

12. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Covering your own ass in that way may have the reverse effect though. With that said, capnwes has almost identical wording on the dry-cleaning bit, and he's doing mighty fine on ebay.

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Also, there's one picture in the middle that looks like a completely different jacket. Get rid of that one.

14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

What is the 33 viewers on his listing? When did they start that? Last I saw they had number of watchers, but now number of viewers?

[​IMG]

15. chiron

chiron Senior member

Quote:Get an old copy of TurboTax Home and Bussiness 2012 or create an account online @ turbotax.com . Fill in 2012 tax information and hypothetical business deductions you might incur . You will get a precise idea about how deductions will effect your refund.

Quote:Yes, I cant wait to get back 40 cents on the dollar . [​IMG]

Quote:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013