• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

wilay05

Reaction score
I used to buy anything that I knew I could make money on, but now, I have learned and changed my rule. Now, I only buy if I can make at least $15-$20.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Profit% isn't everything tho. I'd rather make 300% off a $50 item than 500% off a $10 item.

wilay05

Reaction score
thats true but I rarely see anything that is over $20-$30 that is worth buying. For me, anything over that price range requires at least triple my money.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Profit% isn't everything tho. I'd rather make 300% off a $50 item than 500% off a $10 item.

True dat... My bread and butter items are 3-4X and I pay $15-25.

Acme

Reaction score
However, if you are thrifting in LA or some other local that rains Brioni...

Man, I got to move to LA.
wow.gif

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder if the rain that just fell here in LA is a sign that I should be out at the shops. I don't see any 7-folds dripping from the eves, but I might have to take everyone's word for it.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do often. I value her service greatly. Since I use the pick up service, it is important to keep her happy. Pam, is fairly new on the route. She does a great job and doesn't complain about all the packages. I go out to at least say hello whenever she picks up while I am home on the weekend. This also gives me an opportunity to make sure my printed labels aren't giving her issues with scanning, or anything else that might be an unforeseen problem. I try to leave at least a thank you note every couple of weeks and every so often a gift card to the local bakery/cafe, which is right next to the post office.

My post office gets the giant tremendous biggest size possible gift basket I can find from that Wine Country catalog.

Jeez, make me look like a cheapskate - I gave my letter carrier a Visa gift card for Xmas and nothing else...but that was when I was only shipping a few items here and there - probably do a bit more this year.

Safe is the part that concerns me, I'm always fearful of leaving 10 packages on the porch and getting 10 messages 5 days later that no one ever received their shipments. I don't really live in a bad part of town, but i get enough foot traffic by to scare me.

I leave mine on the porch, though I work from home so am almost always here (but working, so, cannot usually bring the packages out in person). Before I started doing that, I would do all my postage & packing at home then bring all the paid packages to the local post office to drop off at the counter they have specifically just for drop-offs - no waiting in line and no worrying about them being lifted by a passer-by.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jeez, make me look like a cheapskate - I gave my letter carrier a Visa gift card for Xmas and nothing else...but that was when I was only shipping a few items here and there - probably do a bit more this year.   

i havent checked this thread in ages, but just poppoing in to remind folks its very illegal to give your mailman a give beyond nominal value -- i think the dollar amount is like $25.
Sounds like Spoo gives the gift to the whole post office, which could be ok, since it averages out across the whole office.
Bottom line, be careful -- though your intentions are good, there are a number of surprising civil and criminal consequences.

also, I leave my packages on my front porch. But I also leave my keys in my car because our town is absurdly safe. So....

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i havent checked this thread in ages, but just poppoing in to remind folks its very illegal to give your mailman a give beyond nominal value -- i think the dollar amount is like $25.
Sounds like Spoo gives the gift to the whole post office, which could be ok, since it averages out across the whole office.
Bottom line, be careful -- though your intentions are good, there are a number of surprising civil and criminal consequences.

also, I leave my packages on my front porch. But I also leave my keys in my car because our town is absurdly safe. So....
Yeah, I checked into that before, it's $20 limit. But, do you know how often? Is that per day....week, month or year?

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The way I read what's on usps.com, you can attempt to give them whatever you want, it just may be illegal for them to accept it.

masaccio

Reaction score
Ugh. Over the past few weeks I've won two separate auctions for Made in Italy PRL trousers. Neither auction was marked as Made in Italy or Corneliani, so they didn't attract much action and I got a great deal on each one (NWT and NWOT for $30 and $21 w/shipping).

First auction posted shipping information immediately, and two weeks later there are still no updates on the USPS.com website.
censored.gif
Finally contacted seller yesterday, not realizing that it was going to open a case. Still no word back from seller, though, but I'm hoping s/he doesn't take the opening of a case as an antagonistic action. I just wanted to "Contact Seller" to make sure it wasn't a situation where the label got printed and then the package never made it to the Post Office!!

Second auction took a week before it was marked as shipped, but no tracking information provided.
baldy[1].gif
Sent seller a message (this time figuring out how to do it without opening a case), but no word back.

I'm hoping that each one will end with a good resolution. Just bummed that after scoring great deals, I can't get the goods!

Sorry, just a buyer ranting.
musicboohoo[1].gif

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to do the same when I know I have at least one really good score. It usually result in me asking "why in the hell did I buy this again?" by the time I get around to listing. Another factor that comes into play for me is what I currently have that needs to be listed.
I've likened this addiction to gambling many times, sometimes I walk in and find something fantabulous and lose my mind, buying all sorts of stuff that later I'm like.... what the (*&!! was I thinking?

Ugh. Over the past few weeks I've won two separate auctions for Made in Italy PRL trousers. Neither auction was marked as Made in Italy or Corneliani, so they didn't attract much action and I got a great deal on each one (NWT and NWOT for $30 and $21 w/shipping).

First auction posted shipping information immediately, and two weeks later there are still no updates on the USPS.com website.
censored.gif
Finally contacted seller yesterday, not realizing that it was going to open a case. Still no word back from seller, though, but I'm hoping s/he doesn't take the opening of a case as an antagonistic action. I just wanted to "Contact Seller" to make sure it wasn't a situation where the label got printed and then the package never made it to the Post Office!!

Second auction took a week before it was marked as shipped, but no tracking information provided.
baldy[1].gif
Sent seller a message (this time figuring out how to do it without opening a case), but no word back.

I'm hoping that each one will end with a good resolution. Just bummed that after scoring great deals, I can't get the goods!

Sorry, just a buyer ranting.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Soooo... those PRL's that are not marked as made by Corneliani or made in Italy, how do you authenticate them?

SchoolyardBully

Reaction score
noob question: Where do you guys find your dress form/mannequin? did you thrift them? any recommendation or pointers would sure be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics