Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

I did this too with my first few listings! [​IMG]

People come to eBay knowing what garment, brand, and size they want, so there's no need to write copy for each individual listing. Just spend your time on keywords for your title and photos for your item, all the rest of the listing can be boilerplate in your template.

You have great photos. My first photos were terrible, and it took me a long time to figure out how to improve them! Please do share lighting advice. I have a bunch of shoes to list, and I'd be ecstatic if my shoe photos came out as good as yours.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

PRO TIP

If you have a buyer open up a not as described case and you feel like you are 100% correct DO NOT offer any type of refund, restocking fee, etc. to be a nice guy and try to resolve the issue. If you do, ebay will side with the buyer EVERY TIME even if the buyer admits that the item is "as described". Once you offer any kind of refund you are screwed and ebay will issue a full refund and you will lose the case.

PS - You might be able to still win the case if you spend an hour on the phone and get to speak with an ebay appeals rep, but you better have a LONG history of being a good seller and trying to work with buyers for them to help you out. Better be safe and just not offer any kind of refund, etc at all.

3. adam-r8

adam-r8 Well-Known Member

Chaps, question relating to mannequins:

Are dress makers/tailors ones a must? From my pov dress makers look ok or is the shape too different?

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

@jebarne, Brianpore:

When you guys (and probably others) post to the "What I'm selling on eBay" thread, your posts come out in this nice grid with a uniform sized picture, and linked text. How are you achieving that. My instincts tell me that you have a document that you keep in Excel and update whenever appropriate, but my attempts to recreate it thus far have failed. Care to share your secret? PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

In my case, I just went to my store page in ebay, copied the info, pasted it into the reply field, and deleted the cells I didn't want. Just wanted photo and link.

Under a minute for the whole thing. But I don't have a lot of Items so Brian may need another couple of steps.

When I try to do something in Excel like this, the photos never seem to get locked into a cell and it takes more time to make it look right.

6. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

A couple of you asked me about my photo set up. Well, as an ebay shopper, I ran across wes's store and saw that he had a clarity and consistency in his photos that made it easy for a buyer like me to get an accurate read out of the color of a jacket. When I found out that most of my stuff wasn't consignable I started thinking about selling it myself and found this thread. There was a discussion happening about lighting and he responded with these photos of his set up. Other's also have great set ups, but what I loved about this is that it could be contained in a space approximately 4 feet deep by 5 feet wide where as a full three point photo system required much more space and I would have had to set up and take down.

I went to their website (http://gtilite.com/cvx-color-viewing-station.htm) and studied the sizes and specifications and figured I could replicate.

I started small and bought a 30 x40 foam core presentation board and scored it so that it folded up into a table top light box. I had an off the shelf diffuser from lowes and 3 metal clip on lights with 6500K LED (no heat) spot lights for the color, (again from Lowes). Noticing that Wes's background was grey, I spec'd out the neutral grey #8 and sprayed the foam core board to get the even background. I put two of the clip on lights face down on the top of the light box and one in front.

Here are a couple of examples of the quality that produced.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the upper image, you can see the fold of the box on the left and I don't remember what the right one was. I was basically testing the set up and trying to figure out how to use my wife's camera.

These weren't corrected for white balance.

Then I decided to build a large set up based on Wes's box. I bought a 4 bulb flourescent troffer fixture from Lowes (about $40.) and an economy 2 bulb fixture (his has 6 very expensive bulbs). I built a wooden frame in which I mounted both fixtures (with about a foot between the edges) so that the 2 bulb was actually a bit behind the object lighting the background and helping with shadows and the 4 bulb troffer was angled about 15 degrees to light the front. The systems you see in the link have inclined viewing tables and thus can be flat lights. If you have a mannequin, you need flat. I bought 6 6500K 4 foot bulbs, also from lows. Probably all in around $100. Took me about 4 hours to design it, another 4 hours to build and mount it. . I wired these together to a switch, wired the switch with a plug attachment plugged it into the wall. I turn it on an off with a switch. I mounted it to the wall at 84" from the bottom to the floor and bought a cheap folding table to put under it. I then hung a white paper background (54" wide) on the wall behind and over the work surface for a consistent, seamless, easily changeable look.

If I stick with this, I will build it so the light and the table fold down flat against the wall and resembles an armoire against the wall. If I was going to keep this set up, I would put drawer units underneath for mailing supplies, shoe cleaning stuff, mending kits etc.

This hobby/ job takes up a lot of room and my thought is that anything that contains the footprint in a neat way will be helpful with spouse/roomate or whomever.

So far, so good. But really, Wes's photos were what started me on this. I still am having problems getting accurate color on herringbone tweed images because my camera seems to perpetually overexpose those and I've been experimenting with various manual settings trying to get those accurate so I can post them.

jb

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

^^ ABSOLUTELY IMPRESSIVE. Supremely resourceful. Nice job!

8. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I was expected a paragraph or so, much less pictures of the setup. This post should be sticky'd in the OP for this thread. Utterly exceptional. Thank you so much.

9. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Probably a Wes question, but anyone feel free to chime in..quick stop at lunch, grabbed a handful of suits, didn't even inspect due to time and this place is dirt cheap (3 3 piece, 2 2 piece, 1 blazer and a fur hat for $14.50) but the most interesting is a tweed jacket, with tweed pants, and a suede vest. All come from the same maker so I believe they probably went together BUT is is it best to be:

2 Piece Tweed Suit and an a seperate listing for the suede vest OR

list it as a 3 piece?

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Either really. The 3 piece will likely do a little better, but it could go either way. Is the vest reversible? A lot of times they are. I have been selling vests for about $50 a piece for the last few weeks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  11. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I'll have to check the reversibility when i get home, I remember it had a bird print but not sure if that was lining or possible a reverse side

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It would have two sets of buttons, on the inside and out.

13. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Thanks! I'll upgrade if anyone ever gives me a CVS.

[​IMG]

Oh, and any tips on the proper photo settings for herringbone tweed would be appreciated. I know you will say you point and click, but maybe you can share your iso, speed and aperture settings.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

If you explain to me where to find that on the digital screen I will gladly share. I can send some pics of the camera screen later if you like. I honestly have no idea which numbers mean what. I know the one for speed, but that's it. I usually shoot it at around a 40 unless it is a really dark item. Then I bump it down to a 25. Whatever that means. Not even sure what units I am speaking in right now. I really should take time to read the manual I suppose.

The ones I struggle with the most are the navy blue suits and jackets. They always seem to change the appearance of my gray background.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member