Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Are we talking about the same thing? I use the debit card, not CC from PP. But when purchasing, credit is always my purchase transaction. Never heard of a 1% cash back, nor have I ever seen a credit on my history.

2. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

3. evolutionofRW

evolutionofRW Senior member

Snoogz...You have to sign up for it on the PP website. I just did it about a month ago. It's easy. Then every time that you use you PP debit card and process it as a "credit" transaction where you sign for it instead of using your pin, you will receive 1% cash back. I have already received $4.00!! Lol

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Omg how have I missed out on that....thank you guys so so much. I must get that activated ASAP!

5. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

Yep, I was bragging on the thrift thread about Friday's haul. WHILE in one GW, my debit card account went up through sales more than enough to pay for what I got there, and dinner for the fam later that night (wearing the best from my haul). I love how seamless it is working with this card.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Did you guys recently get your PP DC? When I go to active or sign up for the offer, it tells me my card is not eligible for the 1% offer....

EDIT: Is this offer only for thePP Business DC? Looks like it is, and I do not have that.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

7. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

ok, this is good info. So there are two different types of PP DCs? Which should I get?

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Ok folks, as I mentioned a couple days again, my store is now live. These are my first items.

http://stores.ebay.com/thehighlifeforless

I created the template for the store using GarageSale. I started with the Pro:Header template and played around with it until I could see how to change backgrounds and customize it to look more like I wanted it.

I like it better than the standard template, but will continue to tweak the design. I ultimately want a different background from the one that's there, but I wanted it to be live.

I would appreciate any suggestions around improving the site, based on your experience. It's taken me most of the day to do these first 6 items, so I sincerely hope I get faster at it.

Again, Thanks for all your input. And also, thank's to all of you whose sites I studied and borrowed from!

jb

9. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Just looked over your listing for the Florshiem Bluchers. Solid listing, but at some point I think you'll decide the history paragraph isn't worth the time. This comes down to preference, but I don't think the 5-7 minute tax on your time and creativity is worth it for a bit most won't read (probably, YMMV). When it comes down to listing item after item, that could become that one bit of work that prevents you from another listing. Or maybe you reserve that for items above a certain price point, idk. I used to deal in much cheaper listings (rare/uncommon video games), so my perspective is likely different. I'd rather that time be put into more pictures (you don't have 12, why not?).

I just bought some stands and lights for those stands, so I'm gearing up to something similar to yourself in a few weeks. What does your photo/lighting setup look like? You have GREAT pics and I'd like to replicate that.

10. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Yeah, your pictures are fantastic. I'd love to see what your setup looks like.

11. SpecialK2k12

SpecialK2k12 Senior member

How horrible is it going to be to ship a belt to Singapore from the US? I'm the seller, and the shipping alone basically doubles the costs for this dude.

12. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Just

Just be honest and open with the buyer about costs and make sure you don't expose yourself because you think shipping is exorbitant. Choose an option that includes tracking, insurance or other mechanisms to protect you.

Speaking as a buyer who currently lives in China, it's just another factor in the cost of buying something. It seems outrageous from your perspective as the seller, and if I were still in the US I'd think so, too.

As an example, I'm currently bidding on a pair of shoes. I contacted the seller (who is in Italy!) and he quoted me $47 to ship them to me. I adjusted my bidding accordingly so that my total cost doesn't exceed my personal limit on the item. If I win them, I won't be focused on the idea that the shipping was nearly a third of the total cost, or that if I was still living in the States it would have likely been less than half that. Instead, I'll be happy he's shipping it to me directly, and I don't have to find a US proxy who will ship it to me (thereby incurring shipping costs twice, once to the US and once to China).

Remember, you're the seller. And although it's important and honorable that you are looking our for the buyer, don't let it impact your own bottom line.

13. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

I just made a 450% profit off a Z Zegna suit within an hour of listing it! My first big score! :slayer:

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I appreciate that. I need to study how others use fewer words in their listings.

Too many days writing PR...

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member