Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

I just shipped a pair of Aldens around the same price, I added insurance for just over $3. Better for my piece of mind than his.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

With the services I normally choose, insurance is included up to €500. If it weren't included, I'd get it anyway. If the item is lost, it's out of my pocket, not the buyer's. I list everything as ships with insurance and I am often asked to drop the insurance to make the shipping cheaper. I quickly explain that 1) shipping is free, and 2) if it's not insured and doesn't arrive, will are they willing to lose the money?

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Huh. They must have changed it back. I opened a case a while back on a seller. That pair of shells that were so worn on the bottom you could see my socks (almost). The seller, amazingly won the dispute. I left neutral feedback. It was removed almost instantly. It was not inappropriate. I was told it was because he won the case.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

4. suited

suited Senior member

That's what I thought, too. Maybe the rep had no idea what they were talking about.

5. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1

+100.
    Do not forget we are in a business, and the #1 thing in business is the buyer is always right. Fuck the demands, if its not jeopardizing anything but our pride, fucking do it for the sale! Our job is not to show our customers how much more logical we are when it comes to Menswear, its to smile, make them feel more comfortable and get that sale!

Beat me to the answer, but yes endurance or strength shoes. I was very familiar with them in high school because I played football...I don't miss em, but they do work great tbh.

6. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Oh almost forgot, Anything to be worried about when shipping to Italy?
    For some reason, my memory is telling me I was suppose to remember some DOs & DONTs when it comes to shipping items to Italy. Sound familiar?

60$ Suit, nothing special, but it is a clothing article, pre owned, made in US. Don't know if these are any factors when it comes to shipping to Italy.

Priority Mail for sure?

7. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

You guys are making me feel old. Our endurance exercise for high school football consisted of 3 things other than running:
    1. jumping on and off the first step of the bleachers; 2. running up and down the same bleachers; 3. jumping side to side over an 18" tall bench.

didn't need no stinkin' strength shoes........

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Pretty sure that, when shipping priority in country, you get an automatic $100 worth of insurance, but I'd feel better if one of these more experienced gentlemen confirmed that.

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

11. jeffd

jeffd Senior member

I just received a jacket I bought on eBay that was advertised as new with tags. It came with a two-year-old restaurant receipt in the jacket pocket, which almost seems too much of a cliche to be true. [​IMG] So, other than the receipt, the jacket doesn't show any wear that I can tell, nor is it damaged, but nonetheless, it is obviously used, and the sleeve buttons have been sewn in with working holes, so not moveable. The buttons were obvious from the photos, but not the operable holes. The seller has gotten good reviews here, so I don't necessarily question his integrity, at least not yet. The question is, if I'd like to keep it and can make the sleeve length work, what do you guys think is a fair adjustment to ask for on the price? It's an Isaia, though the restaurant receipt is from Milan, which just seems wrong.

12. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/il_008.htm

No shoes, leather or haberdashery.

13. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Priority boxes and bags are good for both domestic and international use. Yes, you can print out everything yourself, though since it's a non-ebay sale, you'll have to print postage through PayPal or the USPS.com website.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

If it's a SF member send them a nice private message here on SF and explain the situation. I'm sure any reputable guy on SF would be more then glad to help resolve the issue.

15. jeffd

jeffd Senior member

I don't know if he's a member or not, but I did send a message through eBay. I just didn't know what would generally be considered a fair resolution to either offer or accept. It seems like the higher end of a used Isaia jacket is around $400, just looking at the "buy me now" items, which is what I'll offer unless people here think that's out of line. The original price was $675, and I do want to be fair.