Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Express mail has tracking all the way usually

Only country I ship priority to is Japan or England otherwise express mail

2. msg

msg Senior member

As a seller, what's the consensus on using EBay's new Global Shipping option - you ship to Ebay location in the US and they handle the international shipping costs? I've a buyer in NZ who's interested in purchasing, but shipping myself would be close to $50.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

3. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

So for a tie to a non-delcon country there's not a better combo of economy and CYA factor than a padded flat rate envelope sent priority express for $45-ish? I think I may need to revise my shipping options going forward.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Read a few pages back through this thread (or use the search) if you want specifics. It's been covered a few times, but in general it sucks.

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Anyone else having trouble with photos on listings today? All of a sudden half my images aren't showing up even though it says they were uploaded successfully...

6. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Yep, me too. I came here to see if anyone else was having problems. Some relief in knowing its not just me. But I don't know if my draft listings will start working or I need to start over with the picture uploads.

7. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Same here - intermittant problems with images on active listings, and no images showing up on my scheduled listings. Just great, perfect timing eBay.

Edit: spoke to an eBay rep; he said they are having "a number of issues" that they are trying to resolve today, photo hosting being one of them. I am going to be incredibly pissed if my listings conclude tonight and the photo problem isn't fixed - folks ain't gonna bid if they can't see the images.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

8. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

It's really annoying as I had pretty much carved out this afternoon to bang out an odd 50-60 BIN/OBO listings, which I'm hesitant to continue with as I'm not sure if my photos are showing up.

Unrelated - how do I see what promotions I'm eligible for (free insertion fees, etc.)? I can't seem to find it and eBay is as unintuitive as ever...

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Go to the selling page and scroll all the way down to "promotional offers" section

10. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I had some scheduled to start tonight - just rescheduled to start next week, and will switch back to tonight if they resolve it. Also did a new listing and the photos don't even load let alone show as "image not available" so things seem well and truly screwed up over there. Thankfully it appears that my items with watchers & bids, and the couple "higher-end" things I have listed, have not lost their photos...but I'd like to use the rest of my freebie listings before the month is up, though cannot do that without images.

In any event, if I were you I'd list them scheduled to start next Sunday, and if things clear up, edit them to start tonight. Sucks that we can't even use remote picture hosting since the required main eBay picture won't even show up for new listings.

12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Meh since I'm doing BIN OBO I was just shooting them off one at a time...seems like the photos may be coming through eventually on some listings, not on others. It's just frustrating as I'm slammed this week and have all this fall shit i'm not going to have time to list until next weekend, and they aren't earning me money sitting in my closet and not on the 'bay...

13. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

This photo thing must be a real pisser for those who rely on the income. For me it's an anoyance, I'm playing with ways of speeding up listing items from door to door. What do you guys think of putting all the measurements in the item specifics instead of the description? Also, added a graphic to describe my measuring technique.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of mannequin I should look into getting? Getting to where I feel like it'll be worth the cost.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I just bought one of these from mannequin maven on eBay. I looked around Craigslist for a couple weeks.

Item number is 271237278515. Can't say the quality until it comes.