Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

2. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Tell us Brian how did that turn out?
    What steps did you take to prove it?
    You got ahold of someone from Isaia to spend the personal time to help you confirm the item was real? How did that go about?

3. Brianpore

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I've to call ebay tomorrow since they're closed right now because the Gallery Plus option is not there. It's weird!

5. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Right, and since you still had the tag, I would think you have a case with eBay to have the bad feedback removed.. In the original photo set, did you include the tag?

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

People see some slight anomaly and decide that it must be counterfeit because it is not exactly like the one in their closet (bought 10 years ago). They don't realize that Brooks Brothers often makes small changes. Recently I had an ebay buyer question the authenticity of a Golden Fleece shirt because of the neck label. The label in the shirt is the new one which is in the current BB catalog. He is probably accustomed to seeing the old labels in his closet.

We all know what an authentic Brooks Brothers made in USA ESF OCBD label looks like, right? It looks like this:[​IMG]

7. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I see it just under the photos, right above the Picture Pack option. Should a check box. Are you trying to create a listing from scratch or using the "sell similar"(which is what I'm doing)?

8. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Would be easier to find your cc charge from the rack and have them print a replacement receipt. You'd have a paper trail to show provenance.. As soon as it is shown to have come from nordstrom, you win..

9. Brianpore

Got to love this one.... jacket had short arms as pictures and measurements clearly indicated in the listings.

Unhappy ebay buyer quote: I think they wanted me to put in big bold letters that it had short arms. Who knew providing pictures and measurements was not good enough anymore [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

One of my two negative feedbacks in my many thousands of ebay sales was for a jacket which I provided accurate measurements and photos: Negative feedback rating The sleeves were VERY short and jacket can't be worn as is.

11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

My only neg was for the same reason, measurements were provided, buyer left the neg without asking if they could return...

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

When you guys accept a return for XYZ reason, do you always refund original shipping cost? I know that buyer pays return, but I've never refunded original shipping.

So I had a guy purchase a measly 40$ SC, return it for probably 8$ shipping out of his pocket, on top of the 9$ for original shipping. Cost him 17$ just to try it out, AFTER I informed him to double check measurements prior to purchasing from a message he sent me. I dont understand people and why they go through the hassle JUST TO WASTE MONEY!

w/e, not my problem, got me fees back, and no money outa my pocket. Actually made money from the original shipping (.80$)

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I will only refund shipping charges if the return was for a mistake I made in the listing.

14. JL3212

JL3212 Senior member

Before I post my question, I want to thank everyone who contributes to this thread. I've read almost every single page, and it has helped me out a ton, saving me tons of time performing my own research and helping me avoid making mistakes with selling.

I mostly post on the thrift thread (and have asked this question over there and got some advice from 1ofthecoolkids--certainly a cool guy--and txwoodworker), but I wanted to ask some more specific questions about these pair of Balint shoes that I picked up. Balint is a bespoke shoe maker from Vienna.

The problem: I don't know the size. Does anyone know what the writing on the inside means? Do bespoke shoes even use a size? The shoes have a different number--one 6.5 and one 7.5--but I get the same inside measurements for both shoes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there is no size, what size would you use based on these measurements? The inside measurements are 11.5" long and 3.5" at the widest part. 9-9.5C (US) is what I am guessing they are approximately, but they were found with a pair of shoes that were 9.5E (US) shoes that I am guessing were from the same donor.

If I just have to estimate a size based on measurements, how would you guys recommend labeling it on ebay? There's obviously a concern if you can get a negative feedback for accurately measuring the size of a sport coat....

15. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Sounds like you big-time sellers use USPS for most of your international shipments (?). According to their website, delivery confirmation is only available to 14 countries, so how are you shipping to countries not on that list while still covering your butt against claims and shenanigans? Specifically I'm wondering about shipping a tie to South Korea. It looks like the list of delivery confirmation countries is the same for priority and first class, so is there any difference in seller protection or another reason besides transit time why somebody would choose to pay $23.95 for priority versus $9.xx for first class?