1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Same, I use a 14 x 10 x 6 or for some boots / sneakers then it's a 15 x 13 x 6

It's a dollar or so at box store, feels much better than priority boxes

2. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

Likely Uline.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Buyer was Japan
    [​IMG]

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

at what reputation level (color of star, whatever) do you start to become "respected"

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  5. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

My last shipment (yesterday) was from ULINE because they are having a huge carton sale right now. After the shipping charge and tax it only saved me like 10 cents a box, but that's ok.

Normally I buy my boxes from ebay user "topmailers". If you PM him and let him know the size you want, he will set up a listing for you if he has that size, or he will recommend some sizes close to it. I've been using his supplies for 3 or 4 years. Always ships on time and has good communication.

7. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Pesky buyer rant:

I received my first neutral feedback from a buyer who purchased a department store brand cashmere sweater from me for $28 over a month ago (October 21).

"I was disappointed because the sweater was misshapen at bottom and seller didn't" (feedback character limit)

From what I recall, the buyer sent an offer that included an ultimatum of sorts that read "this offer only stands until 1 pm CST at which point I'll need to find another sweater." I accepted his offer, and he didn't complete the purchase for three or four days.

I didn't think the sweater was "misshapen", but I probably would have just refunded him and told him to redonate the sweater if he would have reached out before leaving feedback.

[​IMG]

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

He gave you a strong warning sign.

9. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Thanks. It was updated this morning to show delivered. Looks like delivery actually occurred on Friday, and it just took four and a half days for the information to be updated online.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I doubt that anyone pays too much attention to that. Paypal protects buyers. There is an idiot factor on ebay of about 1 to 2%, so keep your feedback above 98% and don't worry about it.

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

How do you accommodate a buyer's "buy it now" request for an auction item with bid?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The offering party needs to become the top bidder. Once they are top bidder you can end the listing using the "sell to highest bidder" option. At that point you can adjust the invoice so it equals the agreed amount.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. COtoKS

COtoKS Senior member

Live and learn [​IMG]

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Correction on this....

Apparently normal sellers get $50 Free insurance for Priority and $100 for Priority Express.

Top Rated Sellers (and Platinum and Higher Powersellers) get $100 Free insurance for any Priority shipping option.

Good to know.

LINK

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Is that the Priority Mail poly mailer or are you using a generic one and sending 1st class?

16. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Ok not sure what the heck is going on here, seems scammy...

So a few days ago I mentioned shipping to Canada. You guys were a great help walking me through what needed to be done to change the invoice, and I thank you for that. I messaged my buyer and told him where to go on his page/what to click on to ask me for a revision to the invoice. He replies with:
    Maybe we have a language barrier thing going on, I don't know. Later in the evening, I receive this message from him.
    The thing is, he didn't send the $140.87 amount according to paypal, he sent me a total of $97.25. I'm assuming the other amount he paid was the total including import duties/tariffs/shipping? That's all I can make of it since I didn't see that amount in any facet of our transactions. Should I report it to ebay and ask them how to proceed? I see why you guys have opted out of the international shipping program now. Good call.

1 person likes this.
  17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Call ebay.

1 person likes this.
  18. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I package everything in a clear poly bag. I have 9x12, 12x15, and 18x24. I then package into a USPS box. If it is a shirt or a thinner sweater going to the west coast, I take the shirt (folded as you would buy from the store) and fold it in half and put in a USPS padded envelope. on the east coast, its always the flat style RRA box. I shipped a leather car coat yesterday in a RRB box and I think that it was only the 2nd time I used a B, the other being a wool topcoat.

The presentation is actually pretty good. big coat, 18x24 clear poly bag, RRB box.

Ties, I'm shipping 1st class but pay the extra for insurance so runs about $3.75. Following Brian's guide, I wrap in tissue paper, put in a poly bag, slip that into a small flat box designed for VHS and ship.

When I'm out of boxes, I bubble wrap and send in 9x12 manilla envelope, taped shut.

Always looking for cheaper solutions if you have any.

19. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Wes recommended uline. http://www.uline.com/BL_217/Resealable-Bags?keywords=1.5 Mil Poly Bags

I bought the 18x24, the 9x12 and the 12 x 15. There are cheaper sources, but these showed up within 2 days..

20. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

I think it depends. My familys first generation Asian who moved here from Korea. I mean my entire family 50+ people. They all used eBay at one point (I helped them all set it up, god damn) and the cared very much about feedback score, and percentages. I think it just depends on the individuals understanding.