Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

So I seem to have placed myself into a corner by copying the master... Most all of my shipping charges I just copied from Spoo's listings. For a pair of shoes I had them listed for $12.50 domestic and $45 international. Having never shipped shoes I had no idea of pricing so I just went with one of the highest volume sellers I know. Now I have a message from a guy in Germany who is interested in a pair of Alden's but thinks I should be able to ship them cheaper. I have no idea how to check if I could or not. I am thinking I need to box it up, weigh it than check online prices? He said he paid $30 for shipping a pair previously.

2. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I also base my international shipping rates on Spoo's, but have found the last couple of times to be very close to losing money, especially if insurance is warranted. Admittedly these were to Australia and Japan, but unless you are going to go with ebay calculated rates, it is just too much hassle to distinguish by region in flat rate shipping.

3lbs to Germany is ~28 first, 38 priority; 4lbs is $35 and $42, I believe.

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Depends if you have box or anything else but it's best to send everything with USPS express mail. I've has too many 'lost' packages with first class and priority (never any issues to Germany, though I had one buyer with $500 worth of stuff let items sit over a month)

Don't let buyer determine your shipping cost or method, won't help you if you get a claim against you. Cheaper shipping / marked down items / no insurance all have zero risk to buyer as they can just file claim

What relevance does the fact that he is Chinese bring to discussion? And if it doesn't bother you why mention it?

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

They claimed they have 15 available, located in Germany. I bought it because of this fact and that it would arrive in a timely manner. Had I wanted to wait for something to arrive from China, I would have selected one of the other sellers that admits their item is located in China.

The fact that the seller is Chinese himself has no relevance, which is why I said that. It's the deceptive practice that turns me off to it.

What does your questioning of my motive bring to the discussion?

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

So because he is chinese you think the goods are in china? Who says his stock isn't in Germany already? Could have been an inventory error or that he thought he had a box of stock but it turned out to be something else

6. HansderHund

That was my assumption, that her goods were in Germany. In one of her messages, she says that she has to wait for the cargo.

Not that any of this really matters, the situation stands that I bought a product that would be shipped to me relatively close and would arrive by the end of the week. This isn't the case and I feel it was misrepresented. If an item is on back order in from any company with an unknown ship date, is it not reasonable to cancel the order?

I'm not sure why I need to justify myself or give the seller the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Ah ok yeah shady then if then said waiting for shipment, I think if you just do the paypal item not received they should refund you faster as the funds would then be put on hold?

8. HansderHund

I'm reasonably confident that it would probably arrive at some point, I haven't had significant problems with drop shipments from China in the past. The seller has a relatively poor rating, mainly due to one product that doesn't always arrive, arrives broken, or arrives in a color other than what was ordered (some sort of LED speaker).

I would like to do an item not received, but I think it's too soon to do that as it was ordered only yesterday. I can wait a few days and file one, but I was hoping it would be simple enough for the seller to cancel the order and do a refund. They wouldn't be out seller fees and we wouldn't have to go through PayPal arbitration. Hopefully they'll go ahead and cancel it, but my last message with them was that they'd do it as soon as possible, which would have been about thirty seconds after they sent that message. However, nothing yet.

9. ruben

ruben Senior member

I have a bunch of stuff to list, I haven't gotten around to it lately because my thursday and sunday nights are always packed.

With the 1000000 free lisitings would it make more sense to list everything whenever I have the time during the week, instantly cancel the auctions then come back on sunday night and just press "relist" 30 times?

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

You can schedule the auction for the latest possible date, then just "edit" it to list immediately when you're ready for it to go up.... or just schedule it for Thursday... is that what you're asking?

11. ruben

ruben Senior member

I guess I was just thinking I could use the free listings to avoid the (40 cent?) scheduling fee.

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Then use the edit method.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No.....it makes no sense.

Because tonight is the last night for the 1000000 free listings

14. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Use a program like garagesale to post the listings when you want them to post. Not sure the windows equivalent.

15. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

sorry to hear, Hander!

I would contact ebay and open a case. At the end of the day, a seller who lists something BIN or BINOBO should have the item READILY available to send within X days, typically 1-3 days. If he/she CANNOT send within that time period then he should have good business sense to refund the money. Just call ebay and get the money back. There is absolutely no reason why he should not refund the money unless if he's either 1. cash strapped or 2. being a pr*ck. Whichever the case, both are unacceptable reasons to not send the item UNLESS if he disclosed he couldnt PRIOR to purchasing.

Just my 2 cents