1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. patelsd

patelsd Active Member

To those of you who sell suits and sportscoats: any cheap packaging suggestions? The consensus seems to be to just use the USPS Priority Boxes, was just curious to see if you had any alternatives.

Thanks

2. suited

suited Senior member

This has been covered before, but:

Sport coats go in a tyvek, then into a poly mailer. Usually costs around $7.50. If the sport coat is too thick to fit into the tyvek (I don't like cramming them), I will use two poly mailers instead. Really nice sport coats get a better presentation and go into either a medium flat rate box, or a regional rate B, depending on location.

Suits go into a medium flat rate or regional B, depending on location.

1 person likes this.
  3. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I package things the way I like to receive them, so I send everything but shirts and pants in boxes - usually RR A. I hate it when I buy a sport coat and it arrives in a scrunched up tyvek mailer. If I'm sending a jacket by distance and weight, generally the weight of the box does not take the package into the next cost bracket, so why not use a box?

1 person likes this.
  4. stevent

stevent Senior member

When you auto decline offers, does the buyer know it was auto declined? Or it just says declined. Just got an angry message from a buyer (not close to price range so doesn't matter, I'm not selling you new shell Aldens for $300) saying if I'm going to reject I should counter instead. Just curious as it seems buyers keep repeating the same offer to get it declined.

5. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

I'm the exact same way. I've ordered plenty of clothing online (edit: from large companies) and have tried mimicking their shipping methods. Like you said, shirts and pants in a poly bag, everything else in a box. Plus, boxes are free.

What plastic/poly bags do people use for sport coats, etc? Everything I've blindly ordered online has either been comically large or too small.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'd like to start using plastic/poly bags for suits, outerwear, sport coats etc (larger than will comfortably fit into the USPS Tyvek bag), and would also appreciate recommendations on where to get some in bulk, 100 pieces or so.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I only top $7.50 with a RR A2 if I'm going coast to coast. Can fit sport coats and most suits in it. Usually it's 5 or 6 bucks to ship.

1 person likes this.
  8. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Damn being here in Cali, majority of my RR A2 boxes top out at almost 9 bucks. Then the next jump is to Medium FR @ just under 11.

RR B boxes I rarely use. example would be a big or heavy suit that is too small for RR A2 box, but requires either a Medium or RR B box, AND is is being shipped within my own state. That is still around 8 bucks.

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Why do you want to use poly bags for suits, why not the boxes? You obviously cannot ship first class over 13 oz, so what is your method here with the bags. Especially since the boxes are free, and RR A is usually cheaper than priority mail via providing your own box or packaging.

10. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

sorry to change topic but how often/when do you know to sell items in lots.

for instance, i just picked up 3 j press dress shirts (all same size/style) that i want to sell on the bay. should i list them individually or as a lot?

ty.

11. My Main Man

For me, I'd like to put the coats/suits/etc. in a poly bag and then put that into the box.

A. It looks nicer/more professional
    B. If a box ends up outside for whatever reason and it rains or snows or if it gets dropped in a puddle, the clothing is less likely to get damaged.

2 people like this.
  12. My Main Man

If they're the same exact shirt, I'd list them separately. If they're variations of the same shirt and you want to save a little time, I'd list them as a lot. It's really up to you. If you list them as a lot, chances are you won't see as great of a return as you would if you listed them separately, but one listing is a lot faster and easier than three. Up to the seller.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

One listing with a quantity of three and a shipping discount for additional.

14. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

+1

I may have misunderstood him if this was what he was talking about. I thought he wanted to just ship with a bag and no box.

I do the same thing. In fact without putting the Jacket and/or pants into a bag prior to the box, it makes it very difficult. I also think of it as a protective layer from natural weather. Anyways, all items get put into some type of bag before entering another bag or a box for final delivery.

15. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

sorry they're all the same style (stripes) but different colors

16. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I do use the boxes exclusively, but would like to pack in plastic, then into the box, to help prevent any water damage in transit.

I just sold 4 Tyrwhitt shirts, same size / style / cut, as a lot. Have done it with same size and style BB and PRL shirts. Works out well for me when they are truly the same size and style and in different colors / patterns...never much luck if it's a lot of just the same size, but styles / cuts / sleeve length etc are different. If yours are exactly the same, including color, I'd list as one listing with multiples available. If different colors / patterns, you can list as one listing, and the colors/patterns as options - meaning - sold individually but using one listing (as long as you have all 3 in your main photo). I guess there's no one answer for "if scenario A, then list as a lot; if scenario B, list individually" - I just do it when it feels right to list as a lot.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  17. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

TL, use the tyvek USPS shipping bags that are free. I use those or a plastic garbage bag wrapped neatly before having them enter a box. I suppose u could pay for Poly bags and use those, but that's added expense. I only use poly bags for first class shipments.

18. Lirum

Lirum Senior member

I have a 200k free listing thing that ends on the 5th. If I upload a listing that is scheduled to begin after the 5th, is that listing still eligible for the free listing discount?

19. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I just got an "Item Not Received" case. Tracking shows shipped on 11/23, buyer told that she did not receive my item and one other that was supposedly delivered same day.

This seems to me to be a pretty cut and dry case of packages stolen from her porch. Does USPS cover this? Her homeowners insurance? I sure as he'll am not to blame!

20. freshnewbeats

freshnewbeats Active Member

GL! IDK if packaging is an issue, but fwiw: when I shipped mine a few months ago, I dropped into the local cycle store and got a bike box and lots of styrofoam for $5.