1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I'd consider getting it fixed, IF the label / date is pretty recent. If not, and you can return it for a refund, that's the 2nd scenario in my own opinion. Takes a special buyer willing to have a thing tailored AND repaired.

Not sure why a discussion came up re: not removing the discounted tag was even started, but, of course remove / clip it.

A must. Covers you most of the time for returns, and returns are not necessarily a bad thing - I've gotten positive feedback on returned items. It's easier to keep your reputation than restore it.

Loaded question since a lot of folks will relist 2 or 3 times using a variety of methods if something doesn't sell. if i have a new item and can list/sell it for less than everyone else, I go BIN if i'm still going to make 2x or 3x my cost. I like auctions for the fun of doing them, but only on items truly thrifted, and if they only sell for the min bid I still make a bit of $. Unless you have a following, I wouldn't auction an item for less than you'd be OK selling it for, hoping it gets multiple bids...because there are times that one will sell a Brioni tie or whatnot for $9.99 with one bid.

Not sure when the window on the retroactive feedback removal started, nor what time span it covers, but it was pretty generous. I bet Wes would know.

2. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

i put this in my listings.

[​IMG]

Women's clothes are the worst. They are vanity sized so people don't even know their measurements or sizes in brands they don't usually wear. Half the time they think the waist is hip measurements and vice versa. If you say bust, they ask for chest measurements. If you say chest, they ask for bust measurements..... women :brick:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

For some reason 90 days sticks in my mind. I can't find the verification of that just yet. I do know that if you review your negative feedback from time to time and find that the buyer has been suspended, you can request to have it removed. It will be automatically removed if the neg feedback happened within 90 days of their suspension.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

From an ebay international buyer:

I don't know how to report this issue but I purchase two items, two shirts actually, the size of the first shirt is 14.5 and the other one is 15.
    how come the 14.5 is bigger than the 15.
    so the blue one which is 15 doesn't fit right, it is small.
    Please reply to let me know how to resolve this problem.

Here are the measurements which I provided in the descriptions:

Size 14.5-34, measures 21 inches across chest at armpit level.

Size 15-30.5, measures 19.5 inches across chest at armpit level which makes it a slim fit shirt.

He seems to be surprised and disappointed that the 15-30.5 is short in the sleeve and small in the chest. :brick:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  5. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Whoa what the fuck ebay's final value fees are a flat 10% now?!

JESUS CHRIST.

Sold an item for 185. $18.50 final value fee. $20 for shipping. 4% paypal fee.

That's literally 45 bucks of the cost that I'm not even touching.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Is there a question in there? [​IMG]

You offer free shipping which is a business decision, not ebay's fault?
    What are you shipping that costs $20? Seems very high
    Where else can you reach your target audience around the world for 10%?

Ebay & Paypal are part of doing business.... almost $0 overhead costs for selling stuff and a huge target audience. Never understand why people complain about them, but maybe we can offer some suggestions to bring your shipping costs down (Regional Rate Boxes, etc) or start charging the buyers actual shipping costs.

1 person likes this.
  8. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

But to a buyer, price + shipping vs price + free shipping is basically the same thing in the form of a final amount. And they charge fees on the shipping anyways, so it's not like I can make more money by lowering the item's price and then charging shipping. There's a set market for some of these items that I can't really go over since I'm an individual seller and not a power-seller like you, Brianpore. I'm surprised you would give me that advice when you yourself use free shipping on some of your auctions.

But I would appreciate any shipping tips. The item is boxed footwear shipped across the USA.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  9. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Oh, I use free shipping on the majority of my items and think it is a very good idea to do so + you get the fast & free icon and better search results. I'm not giving advise to charge for shipping unless you feel jipped and factor the shipping cost in the "fees" which they are not. I guess I didnt know what the point of your post was, sorry. If you have questions or needs tips ask away, but just to complain about ebay/paypal fees..... not sure where else you could possible sell shoes worldwide to 100's or 1000's of possible interested parties for such low transaction fees and a great service ebay offers. The pluses far outweigh the minuses.

I'll assume these are normal shoes (not boots) and weigh with a box at/under 4lbs (which is normal). Pick up some USPS Shoe Boxes free online (you need to order them) and then print the label online. Shoes are one of the more costly items to ship and from NJ to CA (about as far as you can go) would be $16.13 for a 4 lb box per the USPS website If you print the label though ebay you might even save a few more bucks.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Is ebay testing a new format for listing auctions? Just went to put up a shirt and everything was different. Do not like. They also pre-select shipping method/cost now and you have to manually change it.

11. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Have an ebay user that is asking about shipping a shirt to ON, Canada. Do you guys tend to default to first class shipping when sending things north? Priority flat rate seems pretty high in comparison.

12. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

Make sure you buy the postage through eBay if you do first class. They won't let you get tracking at the post office (in my experience).

13. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Good plan, no clue what to quote them though, just the general USPS first class rates? Or actually, I think that shirt is part of the shipping program since it's international... Hmm.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

International first class rate. You can get a quote on usps.com

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Fedex is cheaper by a good amount for heavier items and "declared value" should cover you in terms of insurance. Cost is $12-20 about and a bit slower than priority. But then again Fedex staff is ridiculous sometimes especially when they think I'm a scammer or something since I'm sending shoes $500-$900 declared value.

16. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

Echo what Brian said, I'm in middle of country so I haven't shipped anything coast to coast but most I've paid for shipping shoes (using USPS shoebox) was $12.90 after discounts thru ebay.

17. DanM

DanM Senior member

Do you guys recommend first class for international? I've always used priority for all of my auctions, but if going first class on international can bring down shipping costs and bring in some new buyers...

18. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Only when DELCON service is available.

http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc2_022.htm

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

20. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

YES and only YES