Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I'm sure you somehow have a way of cleverly hiding the shipping charges so they aren't in plain site for everyone to see[​IMG]. This moron would probably pass up the exact same shirt that was $5 more than yours, but had free shipping b/c he thought the price was too high. My conclusion: most people are idiots. Selling on ebay only helps reaffirm that.

2. DanM

DanM Senior member

Honestly, I thought your pricing was kind of low before on some of the sport coats you listed. With your feedback and reputation, you shouldn't have any trouble raising prices $5-10 and maintaining or increasing your sales.

And with Cover the World With Tweed on the horizon, it's an excellent time to experiment with pricing...

3. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

I had someone balk at the price of shipping on a pair of shoes a week or so back.

My price structure for shipping is to roughly charge the same amount for like items. I typically charge $5 for shirts, $9 for shoes and $13 for what will require a box and will fit in a medium flat rate box. The shoes were a pair of minimalist running shoes, so weigh about 1/4 of what a normal pair of shoes cost. He of course saw the price on the tag and complained. I offered him a partial refund and he was happy.

I typically mark shipping up $1-2 to cover my time for packaging and going to the Post Office. I've only encountered one person who wasn't happy with that, so I must be doing okay.

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

My dad goes to completed listings, looks at prices, and then goes a bit under that. In my opinion, this is a terrible strategy and only leads to a race to the bottom until margins become unsustainably low. You should try to differentiate yourself with good pictures and.quality items so that can you price above average to high. Not really news to you guys, but just my thougts on the pricing game.

5. My Main Man

My Main Man Senior member

Got my first non-positive feedback this morning. Pair of Florsheim boots with a clearly labelled (in two places) that they were 9C narrow. Translated feedback was "Fast shipment but too small. I need 42". Called eBay and as professionally as the could, they said, "Yeah, the feedback is clearly idiotic, but we can't remove it unless it's malicious." I'm pretty sure that's not true, but whatever. She said it wouldn't effect my seller rating at all. Still, frustrating as hell.

Edit: it was neutral, not negative. I just realized I didn't say that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Oops, that was an error. They shouldn't have seen that starting price. Fixing. Thanks!

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

MMM, did it drop ur percentage down a bit?

8. My Main Man

Luckily, no. Since it was only a neutral feedback, I guess it doesn't effect anything. I'm still at 100%. Just a little worried that it might deter a buyer. I sent a very pleasant message to the buyer who left the feedback and also used google translate in case he didn't speak English. I just asked him to consider removing the feedback. Hope he does.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Looks to me like he left you someone else's feedback.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Can a buyer revise a positive feedback to negative?

11. My Main Man

Doesn't look like it. You guys thinking what I'm thinking? Wait for positive feedback and then just start being really mean to the buyer? "I saw you left me positive feedback, dummy. I bet you're a real stupid idiot." Stuff like that.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ummm NO!! Lol

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Lol, no.... issue with a different buyer. He bought two shirts, requests shipping discount for the three shirts he bought, told no because priority for two shirts costs within pennies of first class for one times two, left positive feedback on both, a week later claimed wear on the collar rendering it unwearable (didn't say anything about the one with the ink stain...), gave him return address, five days later he asks if he will be reimbursed for return shipping on the shirt with the hole in the arm. Strongly considerimg stiffing him on return shipping because it seems so shady.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nope, they can't change their feedback without a request from you. They could, however, open another account, buy something and then ding you that way.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I have thought about that :(

But wtf with not knowing how many shirts you buy and changing reason for return