• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MJMcRibb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some good feedback, guy won an AUCTION "Ok shirt, ok price...shipping was high"

Like really, you had 12 pictures to look at, you knew exactly what you were bidding on...and you're mad about the price of the shirt? And $5 is too high for 2 day priority shipping?

I think I need an Ebay break before I go off on some poor customer.
I'm sure you somehow have a way of cleverly hiding the shipping charges so they aren't in plain site for everyone to see
sneaky2.gif
. This moron would probably pass up the exact same shirt that was $5 more than yours, but had free shipping b/c he thought the price was too high. My conclusion: most people are idiots. Selling on ebay only helps reaffirm that.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying something this week.

I realized than more than 50% of my items sell with only one bid which, with my pricing structure, is still quite profitable. While I am always looking for ways to generate more bids on these items, sometimes it just doesn't happen, or it only increases the sold price by 50 cents or so.  By raising my start price a few dollars, I can potentially squeeze another $650-800 out of my sales per month. I may lose a sale or two, but it would only mean less work for more money. I am still keeping my start price below $50 since I think the $50 mark would make the bidder rethink things too much. Previously, I had my sport coats, shoes and suits priced at $42.68 and have bumped to $48.68 which visually doesn't look like much more. And since I offer free shipping, the total doesn't break that $50 point.

Let's see what happens.

Already 4 opening bids have been made since the switch.

Honestly, I thought your pricing was kind of low before on some of the sport coats you listed. With your feedback and reputation, you shouldn't have any trouble raising prices $5-10 and maintaining or increasing your sales.

And with Cover the World With Tweed on the horizon, it's an excellent time to experiment with pricing...

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had someone balk at the price of shipping on a pair of shoes a week or so back.

My price structure for shipping is to roughly charge the same amount for like items. I typically charge $5 for shirts, $9 for shoes and $13 for what will require a box and will fit in a medium flat rate box. The shoes were a pair of minimalist running shoes, so weigh about 1/4 of what a normal pair of shoes cost. He of course saw the price on the tag and complained. I offered him a partial refund and he was happy.

I typically mark shipping up $1-2 to cover my time for packaging and going to the Post Office. I've only encountered one person who wasn't happy with that, so I must be doing okay.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My dad goes to completed listings, looks at prices, and then goes a bit under that. In my opinion, this is a terrible strategy and only leads to a race to the bottom until margins become unsustainably low. You should try to differentiate yourself with good pictures and.quality items so that can you price above average to high. Not really news to you guys, but just my thougts on the pricing game.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my first non-positive feedback this morning. Pair of Florsheim boots with a clearly labelled (in two places) that they were 9C narrow. Translated feedback was "Fast shipment but too small. I need 42". Called eBay and as professionally as the could, they said, "Yeah, the feedback is clearly idiotic, but we can't remove it unless it's malicious." I'm pretty sure that's not true, but whatever. She said it wouldn't effect my seller rating at all. Still, frustrating as hell.

Edit: it was neutral, not negative. I just realized I didn't say that.

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MMM, did it drop ur percentage down a bit?

Luckily, no. Since it was only a neutral feedback, I guess it doesn't effect anything. I'm still at 100%. Just a little worried that it might deter a buyer. I sent a very pleasant message to the buyer who left the feedback and also used google translate in case he didn't speak English. I just asked him to consider removing the feedback. Hope he does.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Luckily, no. Since it was only a neutral feedback, I guess it doesn't effect anything. I'm still at 100%. Just a little worried that it might deter a buyer. I sent a very pleasant message to the buyer who left the feedback and also used google translate in case he didn't speak English. I just asked him to consider removing the feedback. Hope he does.

Looks to me like he left you someone else's feedback.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can a buyer revise a positive feedback to negative?

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a buyer revise a positive feedback to negative?

Doesn't look like it. You guys thinking what I'm thinking? Wait for positive feedback and then just start being really mean to the buyer? "I saw you left me positive feedback, dummy. I bet you're a real stupid idiot." Stuff like that.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lol, no.... issue with a different buyer. He bought two shirts, requests shipping discount for the three shirts he bought, told no because priority for two shirts costs within pennies of first class for one times two, left positive feedback on both, a week later claimed wear on the collar rendering it unwearable (didn't say anything about the one with the ink stain...), gave him return address, five days later he asks if he will be reimbursed for return shipping on the shirt with the hole in the arm. Strongly considerimg stiffing him on return shipping because it seems so shady.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lol, no.... issue with a different buyer. He bought two shirts, requests shipping discount for the three shirts he bought, told no because priority for two shirts costs within pennies of first class for one times two, left positive feedback on both, a week later claimed wear on the collar rendering it unwearable (didn't say anything about the one with the ink stain...), gave him return address, five days later he asks if he will be reimbursed for return shipping on the shirt with the hole in the arm. Strongly considerimg stiffing him on return shipping because it seems so shady.

Nope, they can't change their feedback without a request from you. They could, however, open another account, buy something and then ding you that way.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have thought about that :(

But wtf with not knowing how many shirts you buy and changing reason for return

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads