• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a sport coat, I would only list it in blazers/sport coats. If I were looking for a corduroy sport coat for myself, I would search for "corduroy sport coat" and maybe refine it to that category if needed...but if I saw a sport coat in the coats & jackets category I'd think the seller didn't know the difference and maybe make me doubt the rest of the details.

For vintage clothing, you need to select an era - disco, hippie, etc - if you're not sure (more or less) what era they are from, I'd say just put them in regular clothing and include "vintage" in the title & description.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Acme

Reaction score
Think it's too early for the OP to worry about a DSLR. Get seller limits lifted, better items and photos. After that maybe lighting, proper mannequin. Reinvest as you sell - would not suggest investing up front if you don't know if you'll keep at it.

+1, this is really good advice.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do guys like blue_present stay in business? His prices are out of this world, I mean, he's actually selling RL items for more than they retail brand new in stores.
Take for example RLPL suits: 99% of sellers are maxing them out at 1500$-2500$, brand new with tags and never worn...then you have him, the 1%, asking 4.5k$-7k$

I'd like to see the geographic of his customers.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do guys like blue_present stay in business? His prices are out of this world, I mean, he's actually selling RL items for more than they retail brand new in stores.
Take for example RLPL suits: 99% of sellers are maxing them out at 1500$-2500$, brand new with tags and never worn...then you have him, the 1%, asking 4.5k$-7k$

I'd like to see the geographic of his customers.
I think his geographic is national.

But, I assume you really mean demographic. I don't get it either.

Last edited:

briancpotter

Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks for such an amazing thread. I've been lurking for a while to soak in all the information. I have a (possibly n00bie) question. I'm trying to list a corduroy sports jacket and ebay gives me two possible categories where this would fit. <Coats and Jackets> and <Blazers and Sport Coats>. Is it worth it to pay money to list your item in more than one category? I also have vintage corduroy pants that could be listed in men's 'regular' clothing as well as vintage mens clothing. I'm facing the same dilemma there.

If it's a sport coat, I would only list it in blazers/sport coats. If I were looking for a corduroy sport coat for myself, I would search for "corduroy sport coat" and maybe refine it to that category if needed...but if I saw a sport coat in the coats & jackets category I'd think the seller didn't know the difference and maybe make me doubt the rest of the details.

For vintage clothing, you need to select an era - disco, hippie, etc - if you're not sure (more or less) what era they are from, I'd say just put them in regular clothing and include "vintage" in the title & description.

You'll also likely get quite a bit more traffic in the regular clothing category.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing where most of his customers are from. (A lot of countries don't have RL stores, so who knows if one could stiff those customers more easily)

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Paging Hans: picked up a wool sweater made by Sigi Scheirer (I think that's the manufacturer name but the tag has the previous owners name written on it), in Tyrol. Do you know this brand - and if so - any good? Not finding it on ebay...hopefully not the equivalent of a Kmart brand. :)

I didn't read posts after ours, so you may already have an answer. Could it be Scheiber? A lot if sweaters/additional clothing comes out of Tyrol, many not too well known. A lot of it is handmade and expensive, but I haven't seen a lot of resale value (Etsy is the best bet).

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will do a little bragging on Brian's part with a X post from his consignment page. This is a tie I consigned with him.

Nothing else to say

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying something this week.

I realized than more than 50% of my items sell with only one bid which, with my pricing structure, is still quite profitable. While I am always looking for ways to generate more bids on these items, sometimes it just doesn't happen, or it only increases the sold price by 50 cents or so. By raising my start price a few dollars, I can potentially squeeze another $650-800 out of my sales per month. I may lose a sale or two, but it would only mean less work for more money. I am still keeping my start price below $50 since I think the $50 mark would make the bidder rethink things too much. Previously, I had my sport coats, shoes and suits priced at $42.68 and have bumped to $48.68 which visually doesn't look like much more. And since I offer free shipping, the total doesn't break that $50 point.

Let's see what happens.

Already 4 opening bids have been made since the switch.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't read posts after ours, so you may already have an answer. Could it be Scheiber? A lot if sweaters/additional clothing comes out of Tyrol, many not too well known. A lot of it is handmade and expensive, but I haven't seen a lot of resale value (Etsy is the best bet).

Scheiber it is - thank you! The previous owner had obscured much of the label with their name. Looks like not too much value on eBay - may keep it for myself. Thank you again - much appreciated.

I realized than more than 50% of my items sell with only one bid which, with my pricing structure, is still quite profitable. While I am always looking for ways to generate more bids on these items, sometimes it just doesn't happen, or it only increases the sold price by 50 cents or so. By raising my start price a few dollars, I can potentially squeeze another $650-800 out of my sales per month. I may lose a sale or two, but it would only mean less work for more money. I am still keeping my start price below $50 since I think the $50 mark would make the bidder rethink things too much. Previously, I had my sport coats, shoes and suits priced at $42.68 and have bumped to $48.68 which visually doesn't look like much more. And since I offer free shipping, the total doesn't break that $50 point.

Let's see what happens.

I am under the firm belief that if you have a nice item, at a fair price, there is a buyer out there for it...they just haven't come along yet if it hasn't sold. It never ceases to amaze me how things sell on eBay - raising the price has netted me more sales and total $ vs. dropping prices in a lot of cases.

OK, so now my oddball question of the week: received positive feedback that reads "Great **** thought it was orange but peach is waaaay better" - it was on a shirt, and obviously the person made a typo and meant to write "shirt" instead of "****". Do I ask them to revise it, as some folks might be put off by profanity in my feedback? Or just leave it? I think it's kind of funny, personally.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so now my oddball question of the week: received positive feedback that reads "Great **** thought it was orange but peach is waaaay better" - it was on a shirt, and obviously the person made a typo and meant to write "shirt" instead of "****". Do I ask them to revise it, as some folks might be put off by profanity in my feedback? Or just leave it? I think it's kind of funny, personally.

lol8[1].gif
It will probably end up being removed by ebay soon anyway. If you want it to stay there, he should revise it.

Last edited:

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some good feedback, guy won an AUCTION "Ok shirt, ok price...shipping was high"

Like really, you had 12 pictures to look at, you knew exactly what you were bidding on...and you're mad about the price of the shirt? And $5 is too high for 2 day priority shipping?

I think I need an Ebay break before I go off on some poor customer.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some good feedback, guy won an AUCTION "Ok shirt, ok price...shipping was high"

Like really, you had 12 pictures to look at, you knew exactly what you were bidding on...and you're mad about the price of the shirt? And $5 is too high for 2 day priority shipping?

I think I need an Ebay break before I go off on some poor customer.
Yea that sounds ridiculous...I normally charge about 6 bucks a shirt lol. That is because I like to use Priority over parcel post...its easier with supplies that are free. Anyways, I've yet to have anyone balk at my shipping prices.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's see what happens.

Yes I noticed your Tweed Braces have a high opening bid
ffffuuuu.gif

I've been watching them, damn they are nice. me want!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads