• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/usr/gerbilunit

I tried researching to make sure I was not over shooting but pricing competitively as well. I also thought the Best Offer would help keep me in the game if i was too high. Thoughts?

Gerbil, put a link to your store in your SF signature, and also post to the what I'm selling on eBay thread. My views more than tripled when I did that. And I've started out reasonably strong considering I just started last month.

gerbilunit

Reaction score
What are you shooting your photos with?

Just a Canon point and shoot. It's relatively new, (within the last 2-3 years old). Shoots up to 12megapixels. I've tried adjusting the settings. I brought in a lamp with white LED bulb as a spot light. I notice when I shoot with flash, it glares oddly so i've been trying to have a different light source.
Also, a steamer (found one at Goodwill brand new in the box for $15) and a body form (found a nice Macy's one with a stand and removable arms on Craigslist for $20) are 2 of the most insanely useful things I've bought in the recent past.

I actually was looking for a steamer to unwrinkle my clothes. Do most of you guys iron all of your listings? Am i missing something?

chiron

Reaction score
Anyone else find that selecting Global Ship , gets you a higher ranking in Cassini ?

Cassini = eBay search engine .

If you do not know how Cassini works here are some sinps from the new user agreement .

We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to:
  • buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;
  • item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query;
  • seller's history, Detailed Seller Ratings, and Feedback; and
  • number of listings matching the buyer's query.
    Accordingly, to drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a Canon point and shoot. It's relatively new, (within the last 2-3 years old). Shoots up to 12megapixels. I've tried adjusting the settings. I brought in a lamp with white LED bulb as a spot light. I notice when I shoot with flash, it glares oddly so i've been trying to have a different light source.

Point and Shoot is ok for starters, but at some point, you are going to want to invest in a DLSR. I use a Nikon D40. It is simple to use, lightweight as far as DSLRs go and you can grab one of eBay for under $200. Probably a little too soon to make that move, but it will easily pay for itself with the better photos.

Acme

Reaction score

The most useful photo tutorial I ever found is an eBay guide you can see here.

My photos improved the most when I started paying attention to color balance. This simply means that I bought a couple of 5000K flourescent bulbs from Home Depot to light my mannequin, and set the camera for daylight exposure. Now the camera expects the proper lighting, and I don't get yellow tints in certain photos anymore. Everything looks pretty bright, and the colors come out nicely.

I use a cheap Canon point and shoot ($75 from Target), because my old Sony DLSR finally broke down. I actually like the pictures with the Canon better, though I hate the case style. Too small, too square, too easy to drop on the floor.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Point and Shoot is ok for starters, but at some point, you are going to want to invest in a DLSR. I use a Nikon D40. It is simple to use, lightweight as far as DSLRs go and you can grab one of eBay for under $200. Probably a little too soon to make that move, but it will easily pay for itself with the better photos.

+1... I highly recommend the Canon Rebel T4i. I picked mine up on the Bay for $350 (I already had lenses).

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience shipping to Turkey?

Got a guy (let's preface this with he only has 9 transactions and 83.3% positive) interested in 7 pair of shoes...the only way i can see to do it thru USPS if I go Priority is to break it into 2 10 pound packages. Which comes out to about $80 each or $160 total. The guy is offering $35 plus $10 for each additional pair which would only be $95 to cover the shipping.

Is there some cheaper way to ship? He doesnt seem to care how it gets there.

Thanks

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks for such an amazing thread. I've been lurking for a while to soak in all the information. I have a (possibly n00bie) question. I'm trying to list a corduroy sports jacket and ebay gives me two possible categories where this would fit. <Coats and Jackets> and <Blazers and Sport Coats>. Is it worth it to pay money to list your item in more than one category? I also have vintage corduroy pants that could be listed in men's 'regular' clothing as well as vintage mens clothing. I'm facing the same dilemma there.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wal mart has a 16 x 16 x 15 box. You should be able to fit them all in there. That will maximize your area and also just be under the maximum allowable size. Hey have the box in two wall thicknesses.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks for such an amazing thread. I've been lurking for a while to soak in all the information. I have a (possibly n00bie) question. I'm trying to list a corduroy sports jacket and ebay gives me two possible categories where this would fit. <Coats and Jackets> and <Blazers and Sport Coats>. Is it worth it to pay money to list your item in more than one category? I also have vintage corduroy pants that could be listed in men's 'regular' clothing as well as vintage mens clothing. I'm facing the same dilemma there.

If it's a sport coat, I would only list it in blazers/sport coats. If I were looking for a corduroy sport coat for myself, I would search for "corduroy sport coat" and maybe refine it to that category if needed...but if I saw a sport coat in the coats & jackets category I'd think the seller didn't know the difference and maybe make me doubt the rest of the details.

For vintage clothing, you need to select an era - disco, hippie, etc - if you're not sure (more or less) what era they are from, I'd say just put them in regular clothing and include "vintage" in the title & description.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1... I highly recommend the Canon Rebel T4i. I picked mine up on the Bay for $350 (I already had lenses).

Think it's too early for the OP to worry about a DSLR. Get seller limits lifted, better items and photos. After that maybe lighting, proper mannequin. Reinvest as you sell - would not suggest investing up front if you don't know if you'll keep at it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads