Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. gerbilunit

gerbilunit Senior member

hey guys, I have a question regarding shipping to Canada. I am shipping a shirt (under 13 oz) but am not sure of the best method to do so. Could someone provide me any advice? I looked at the USPS International Price Calculator for First Class International Envelope and it shows $4.35? I think this is highly unlikely but wanted to ask you guys first. Are there any customs charges or other fees that I may incur and for ebay sales, do you normally have the customer take those charges?

Does it matter to what code you ship? I didn't see any place where I could specify the destination on the calculator.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

First class to Canada now has tracking through the DELCON service, so First class is sufficient to prove in item was shipped and delivered. As far as I know DELCON is only available through the ebay shipping tool.

Customer pays customs charges if there are any. You do not need to collect them or pay them.

The price should be the same rate to all of Canada.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Called the USPS post office apparently address he gave was a UPS store where they just drop off packages so essentially notice left meant it is at UPS store waiting for customer

And apparently UPS store denied ever receiving the package but post office lady just said it's at the post office so will tell the customer

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This is just me, but in my opinion, it is the customers responsibility to track down his package when this type of thing happens. I always offer suggestions, but have them do the actual legwork.

Strange situation though.

5. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Ouch! You have my sympathy, here's hoping you get that package back.

6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

If the buyer gave you the wrong address, that's his own problem. You should contact Ebay customer service ASAP.

7. ScottW

ScottW Senior member

Sounds like the buyer either has a PO box at the UPS Store or just uses them as a package service. Not unusual for people in apartments/condos who don't have a secure place for boxes to be dropped off and no assistance from a front office or management. Often the shipping address is a street number and a unit number that looks like a typical apartment address, with no mention of a UPS Store. Of course, any miscommunication between the post office and the UPS Store is not the seller's fault or responsibility.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That sounds like an incredible hassle. I've called that 800 number and was given a case # and told I would get a call back within 3 days but never have. Like it just goes away once you hang up. Best of luck and don't give up!

9. briancpotter

briancpotter Active Member

Thought I'd chime in with a few buying tips I've gleaned after spending a few months digging around in the guts of ebay.

-You're almost always better off using keywords than using the filters ebay provides for things like size, color etc. If you're looking for a, say, navy Barbour jacket, your best bet is with the keywords "barbour navy", and completely ignoring the color filter on the left.

The main reason for this is ebay, in it's majestic and far-seeing wisdom, has different names for filters depending on the country. For example, the color filter is "Color" in the US but is "Main Colour" in the UK. If you use the built-in color filters, you screen off any good results that are using "Main Colour".

There's a few other filters that work like this ("Size" in the US is "Chest Size" in the UK, US vs UK vs EU shoe sizing, etc.). Also, listers often screw up the size inputs pretty badly (putting jacket size in the "Size" box, for example), but almost always get it right in the title. Using keywords almost always gets you better results.

-You can use parenthesis and commas to do an "or" search.

I mostly use this to try to catch things listed in a foreign size. So if, say, the shoe-fairy gave me a big sack of money to buy some John Lobbs, I might search "Lobb (10.5 US, 10 UK, 9.5 UK)" to catch any only listed in a UK size.

10. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

So I just checked tracking on my last round of packages- I dropped them all off in the PO bin yesterday for prepaid stuff, three domestics, one international. All of my domestics have been accepted and are on their way, the international one just shows as "electronic info received", hasn't even been accepted yet. Should I be worried?

11. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Wes, you're the man!

That link is awesome and now I've a better understanding of the details when listing. I'm now leaning towards a basic store but I'm not a mixed bag seller. I now only do BINOBO b/c I haven't received much traction with auctions and not a big fan of auction w/BIN. I find most people would rather bid via auction than to BIN outright if given that option.

Just my opinion. Anyone else want to chime in on how they list?

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

When I buy....I almost exclusively use BIN. I need my stuff now!

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

No.

It just goes on a different truck and will likely be scanned at pickup or when it arrives in the Chicago or Jamaica NY international hub.

14. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Senior member

I agree with Wes. When buying, I prefer BIN. I lost out on a pair of boots by $2, because I didn't pay attention to when the auction was ending. I would have easily paid 25% more than the final sale price if I could have bought them right away. I list pretty much the opposite of the way you're mentioning. I list BIN with the price I want to get. If it sits for too long I'll list it auction style with a starting price I need to make a modest profit. I tried running more auctions a few weeks ago w/ little luck. I had two suits, each with a starting price of $35-40, and got no bids on either. I relisted and sold both with within a week as BIN for $85 & $90. I'm sure someone can give you an example of it going the other way for them. I think it just comes down to what works the best for you.

15. suited

suited Senior member

They emailed me a form and I filled it out and attached a picture, then returned it to them - although the form had no instructions at all in terms of where it should be sent. I just sent it back to the person who emailed it to me and asked them if this was the correct procedure. I'll be amazed if I receive a response to that email. I'll probably end up having to call in a few times to figure that part out.